ashhay

Since makeup is an art form in its own right. Who or what inspired you to wear it?

If makeup is more of a means to an end than an inspiration; I would like to know the storyline behind that as well!

BamaCaliGirl

Re: Since makeup is an art form in its own right. Who or what inspired you to wear it?

(0) Hearts

My parents were always very against me wearing make-up and for years that shaped my perception of make-up. At 13 I was sneaking a cover girl powder compact to school with me and considered myself quite rebellious. I remember my father telling me that for make-up to be good it needs to look like you aren't wearing it and saying that the reason my mothers skin was so bad was because of all of the stuff she put on it to cover it up. My stepmother of course had much clearer skin and only used a little powder and great lash mascara (in BROWN of all colors). When I got older I discovered neutrogena foundation with salicylic acid and was sold on make-up. After moving in with my boyfriend at 18 I really started to get into my make-up. In our first place I simply sat on a towel on the ground in front of a full length mirror and applied some foundation, black eyeliner, black mascara, neutral eyeshadow, and neural lipstick. It was a miracle if I even washed my make-up off at the end of the night with some neutrogena and forget about washing off my eye make-up. Now years later there is a 2 ft tall 5 level storage compartment with drawers for all my make-up filled and tubs with lotions and excess products and a chair in front of that mirror. Not to mention the counters in the bathroom are covered with face masks (my personal beauty essential), hair masks, face wash, and other products. Make-up and skincare for me are my way of expressing myself and relaxing. My clarisonic mia and juice beauty face products are super calming and a great way to wake up or wind down. In the morning I love putting some music on in the morning, pulling my hair back, and starting my routine. Toning, moisturizing, spot treatment,eye cream, primer, and then starting on my make-up makes me super happy. Deciding on natural or cat eye eyeliner, natural lipstick or matte red lipstick and playing with different shades and blends of eyeshadow's makes me feel the way I'm sure some people feel about painting, except my face is my canvas. At the end of a long day I start again cleansing, toning, and moisturizing, followed by my retinol cream and some vitamin e oil on my eyelashes to make them grow (with the added benefit of keeping the skin around my eyes super moisturized and reducing bags underneath). I love it. Everyone has a hobby and this is mine.

kimmi1115

Re: Since makeup is an art form in its own right. Who or what inspired you to wear it?

I'm not exactly sure how I got into makeup.  Maybe it was the childhood phase of Lip Smackers lip balm (and one is never too old for lip smackers lol).  My first products were drugstore, and my aunt gave me a start on my collection for my 13th birthday.  My mom wasn't sure what shades and whatnot would work for me, so my aunt had fun shopping lol.

I guess my aunt picked out everything and taught me how so I wouldn't walk out looking like a clown or anything.  I still remember the products lol:

Cover Girl pressed powder

Cover Girl Concealer

Bonnebelle Lip Gloss in light pink (smelled amazing!!)

Revlon Quad in In The Buff (neutrals, I went through a lot of them lol)

Maybelline Great Lash Mascara

As for discovering high end makeup, specifically Sephora, it was a couple of years ago.  The JCP in the mall added in a Sephora.  I never heard of it, so I had to check it out.  Love.  At.  First.  Sight lol.  My first purchase was a couple of UD singles lol.  Before Sephora, I had to get a light foundation from the dermatologist that was overpriced lol.  

WhereYouStand

[ Edited ]

The movie memoirs of a geisha based off the book  by the author arthur golden... & what I derived from one of the quotes from the movie as well as...my mother neither topic are releated and both are long stories.

the quote from the movie or part of it..."She paints her face to hide her face" what i derived in my own way from what I wanted to hear from it. BATTLE PAINT I am a somebody whom has endured a lifetime of experiences and I'm only in my mid twenties.  resilence and strength are embedded deep within me maybe it's a warrior streak a fighter streak whatever call it what you want but I like to think of make up as an making a physical outter statment or declaration of my strength.  many cultures used to and some of them very well still do paint their face while going into battle for many different reason. and to me every day can be a challenge one I am willing to take on and face...and Sometimes I feel naked to the outside world and sometimes I feel the need to go with makeup other times with out it. It's just another faceted extension of myself. :smileyhappy:

second half :smileysad: my parents died when i was young  the first save home I had was when I was in my early twenties & I am cursed as well as lucky to have a good memory when it comes to the people in my life dear to me. My mother was my life my and my very existence to me at the time which is what one could say the majority of  little kids feel when they are seven years old long story short she died and she was my world she was all artsy I guess I got my inspiration to create and paint and do all that from her. when I do artistic stuff it takes me back to the life I had when I was with her and the saftey and comfort she provided me even when the dangers of the outside world is just around the corner (sappy I know sighs...but it is what it is.) In a nutshell everyone is an artist whether they want to admit it art is an expression of self and everyone has that inside of them no matter what it is no one is without it.

I am not looking for sympathy in anything I just shared  save mercy for those who truly need it, for me I believe it is what we've experienced and how we learn from those memories and experiences that define us. & i wouldn't re-live my life but nor would I take it back :smileyhappy: 

mkupgk

YouTube lol

ashhay

(0) Hearts

YouTube is very informative.....I have leaned makeup techniques that I never knew existed.

sephoramusthave

I guess Sephora is the reason that I got into makeup in the first place. I've never liked any of the drugstore makeup that I tried back when I was a teen, but the minute I made my very first purchase at Sephora I fell in love with the quality of product---it just delivered. :smileyvery-happy:

maltipoo66

I'm a ballet dancer, so I started getting interested in makeup from doing stage makeup on myself and my friends.  Then I started to do everyday makeup on my friends, and also special occasion looks.  That's around the time that I found Beauty Talk, and I recently did the online Robert Jones Makeup Academy to learn even more.  Now I'm quite obsessed! :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 12 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • sephoramusthave
    • maltipoo66
    • ashhay
    • kimmi1115
    • mkupgk
    • WhereYouStand