KhaosKara

Shade Selection - Hard Time Matching Powders!

(0) Hearts

I've been trying new foundation powders recently and I can't seem to find the right shade. I've tried Estee Lauder Double Wear Powder, KVD Lock-It Powder, and MUFE Duo Mat Powder. I have fair skin with cool pink undertones so I've been getting shades that have the same pink undertones in them and they're all coming out too orange or pink-looking! 

The kicker is that I have EL and MUFE liquid foundations and they match just fine. However, the KVD Lock-It concealer I tried (the lightest available) is also too orange on me.

So my real question is: Should I not be ordering shades with a pink undertone and going for something with a yellow or neutral tone to offset the pink undertones in my skin? I'm a little lost here and I'm frustrated with missing the mark. I'm not sure if I'm just picking brands that tend to be orange and pink or if I'm just making poor color choices! Any advice would be appreciated!

lylysa

Re: Shade Selection - Hard Time Matching Powders!

(0) Hearts

It's possible that the powders are oxidizing on your skin if you're noticing them turning to an entirely different shade once on and settled on skin.

Oxidizing occurs when make up reacts to the oils and pH levels of your skin and causes that chemical reaction where the coloring turns a different shade. Though there's no exact way to pinpoint what products will or won't oxidize on a wear, as this matter is very unique to the individual, the key will be either sampling products before purchasing as a test run (if you constantly run into the issue), and ensuring skin is properly prepped for make up via skin care means and the utilization of a primer. Primers with silicone/dimethicone formulas that have that slippery, silky texture tend to work best as they form a barrier over skin to prevents surface oils from coming in too direct contact with make up, ergo, diminishing chances to oxidize. Smashbox, MUFE, and Hourglass are just a few brands that have this primer formulation.

KhaosKara

Wow. I had no idea about any of that. Thanks so much for your input!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

You may also try to set your liquid make up (which do not oxidize on you) with a translucent powder.

Are you applying the MUFE, Kat Von D, and EL DW powders with the sponges/puffs and noticing this oxidation/color change or are you using a brush?

KhaosKara

(0) Hearts

I'm using the sponges that come with the compacts. I haven't tried using a brush because I wanted a fuller coverage look.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

You can still build up opacity with brushes, in fact, a brush will give you a wider range in coverage than a sponge which will just absorb facial oils and house them, making them more difficult to cleanse than brushes.

Try a denser powder brush like a kabuki (Too Faced's Retractable Kabuki is great, more on that in the below thread), which has more compact bristles to pick up more product than fluffy, traditional powder brushes.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Makeup/Best-BRUSH-for-hourglass-ALP/m-p/1468506/highlight/true#M3285...

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 heart
  • 2 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • KhaosKara