Cheer14

Returning Items to Sephora

I am curious if this matters or if it has happened to anyone. I recently had to return 2 items one because it broke me out after just two uses and the other because the lady who helped match me accidentally gave me a bb cream instead of the foundation (they come in the same box). Because the boxes were the same I never saw that I had the wrong item until I took it out of the box. The important part of the story is that I went to take the two items back and the lady really acted stressed out about me returning the 2 items even though I had the receipt and was like this is just too much Im just going to do it differently. Then she handed me my receipt and I saw that she had done the returns as if I had no receipt. Does this matter? I was wondering if you are penalized if you return too many items without receipts? (I think I read that on a blog or something).

consolvo

Re: Returning Items to Sephora

[ Edited ]

Just go in with your head held high and know that you are NOT scamming the system. Let them know there were various issues with the products (without expounding unless they ask). Don't be intimidated.

For the lip tars, it's possible you could try them in the store. Ask for help doing so if you choose to do that.

Meg82

This is basically a super long post about anxiety around returning things.  I figured this was the best thread to put it in. Feel free to skip it.

Ugh I have so much to return to Sephora today.  It makes me feel really guilty, but none of the products worked for me.  Either I was a dummy and bought the wrong thing (ie, I bought the naked basics instead of naked and really wanted naked so I'm going to exchange them) or I had a bad reaction to them (fuzz off made my face BURN, I accidentally got some on my lips and it hurt so bad I was worried I was going to get a chemical burn and it wouldn't wash off) or in one case i bought something (gel eyeliner) to see if it would work for me better than regular eyeliner (because i've had some limited success using eyeliner brushes and eyeshadow to line my eyes) and it didn't work for me at all.

So I feel all anxious and defensive and even though I know they will take all of it back, I'm really worried they will be unpleasant about it.  Plus I also need some samples of some things (I'm trying to find a lip tar shade that will suit me.  It's not going well) and I'm worried they are going to think I'm just scamming the system.

Blah.  tl;dr, I'm anxious about returning stuff because I'm scared people will be mean to me.

beautylovingirl

You shouldn't feel bad at all especially having the receipt. I don't return things but sometimes you can't help it. I would say if you return it within a couple of days  it's fine but keeping it for a while and using a lot of the product and then wanting to return is  just not acceptable.

poshified

(0) Hearts

I love it when people return foundations purchased over the summer in the wintertime, because the color no longer matches their skin tone. *rolls eyes*

onomotopoeia9

Also, regarding your comment about the blog, remember that blogs are often written by random people that you don't know - who says their right? Always look into the author of a blog, or if not, something that you read on it, before taking their word as fact.

poshified

(0) Hearts

Also, make sure that the bloggers were not provided the products from companies! :smileyhappy:

pinkonyx

It does look bad if you do too many returns without a receipt. That's why they ask for an ID or name and number usually when you do returns without a receipt. But on the same tangent, it is completely and utterly your right to return any product you purchased from Sephora. For any reason. You pay good money for the products if your not a 100% satisfied return it!

onomotopoeia9

[ Edited ]

I do not think that you should feel bad if you are honest about it. Its a common mistake to receive the wrong item, and you should not have to be stuck with a mistake. It happens all the time and that is the point of the return policy. As long as you don't abuse the privilege by trying things out knowing that you will return (one of my pet peeves is when people do that - I feel like its soooo dishonest) , I think its ok.

rikkie

I absolutely hate when I see people have the gall to do that sort of thing, return an empty perfume bottle, or buy something, use half, then try to return it for their money back so they can do the same thing again with another product! There are so many people who do this with makeup, children's clothes (oh there was a hole in it, so I'm returning this now that my kid has outgrown it), sending back food at a restaurant, grrr! Flat out dishonesty in so many cases. :smileysad:

poshified

Talk about abusing the generous return policies!

rikkie

I did call center work taking orders for catalog products and worked for a couple of phone/internet/tv providers and it is rampant everywhere I have ever worked with a return/refund policy that can be abused in any way, people do this for thousands and thousands of dollars worth of services/merchandise. I couldn't do that type of work anymore, I feel too dirty knowing it goes on and my company didn't care at all most of the time.

poshified

I saw one lady return an empty bottle of perfume, claiming the pump broke on her.  Btw, you have one of the most creative usernames on here! :smileyhappy:

roxystar4

@poshified  wow that seems really crazy 

poshified

What's worse was she went and got another bottle of the same perfume!

onomotopoeia9

now that makes it even more suspicious, if it wasn't already as it is...

rikkie

Some people just so way too far with the "customer is always right" attitude. I once had a customer buy a product that was past its expiry date and when she called to complain I apologized and told her to come in whenever it was convenient for her and I'd refund her money. She pitched a fit because she lived in a suburb maybe 30 minutes from the store and it was sooooo far and inconvenient and even though I told her there was no set time she needed to come in, if she was in the area in the next few weeks, a month, two months, whatever it would be no issue. I don't know what she thought I would offer her, but she demanded to talk to the owner and ended up being extremely rude to my boss and demanded a gift basket full of products be personally delivered to her for this travesty. My boss actually did it! I couldn't believe she let this rude lady walk all over her like that (over a $4 item in the first place!!!)

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Oh my gosh. When I worked at a jcp with a sephora inside there was this lady, seriously crazy! I'd seen her around the salon demanding money back for a cut she didn't like. And one time a manager had come down with a small sephora bag, full of samples, full sized products and a gift card and said the lady would be stopping by to pick it up from me. The manager said she threw a fit in Sephora cause the employees looked at her like she was crazy....and demanding the manager and she then put a bag together  for the lady to pick up later. I just don't understand why they would go to such great lengths for her. 

rikkie

Maybe they looked at her that way because she WAS crazy, did the manager consider this?? :smileyhappy:

I just don't know what goes through people's heads in cases like these, do they feel happy going home with your free things because they tricked someone into feeling bad? Are they ever really that offended by everything they come into contact with that they throw an actual fit in every shop? Do they have any shame?

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

I don't know. I'm barely comfortable asking for a sample at Sephora. But i would bet she does it in a lot of stores. It's horrible that managers allow it though. I wasn't her first complaint or last at that store. A few weeks later she complained about a Free haircut her daughter received (Jcp Kids promo for back to school) She said the stylist was rude, but she came in like 2 hours late for her appointment and had to be squeezed in. And to top it off her daughter was 14, the promo was for like 12 and under. It was frustrating cause i had to deal with her every time!!!

onomotopoeia9

[ Edited ]

Why on earth would she deserve a basketful of gifts for buying something past the expiry date???? I would think refund is enough, especially that you were flexible about when she could come in. It makes me wonder if she purposely bought that item so that she could have something to complain about.

Also, I guess I don't know exactly what went on, but I don't think it was smart that your boss gave in - because once she lets one person walk over her, she's opening up the possibility to everyone else.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 35 replies
  • 54 hearts
  • 19 in conversation
    • kalex
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • Manda
    • annonymous1
    • consolvo
    • poshified