Cheer14

Returning Items to Sephora

I am curious if this matters or if it has happened to anyone. I recently had to return 2 items one because it broke me out after just two uses and the other because the lady who helped match me accidentally gave me a bb cream instead of the foundation (they come in the same box). Because the boxes were the same I never saw that I had the wrong item until I took it out of the box. The important part of the story is that I went to take the two items back and the lady really acted stressed out about me returning the 2 items even though I had the receipt and was like this is just too much Im just going to do it differently. Then she handed me my receipt and I saw that she had done the returns as if I had no receipt. Does this matter? I was wondering if you are penalized if you return too many items without receipts? (I think I read that on a blog or something).

rikkie

Re: Returning Items to Sephora

(0) Hearts

Exactly! It was at a locally owned shop, so I expect it is much easier to walk over the one person in charge rather than someone with corporate rules backing them up. The item in question was a pack of goat cheese. Now, I was seriously awesome at making sure stock was moved in a timely fashion, my boss said I cut annual wasted product by well over half when I was in charge, but sometimes a supplier would ship us very short dated products or my boss wouldn't listen to me when making orders and get too much of something, haha. 

What likely happened is that someone newer didn't realize about the date, forgot to warn her that it would need to be eaten very soon if she were to buy it at the discounted price we put these types of products on, or perhaps she wasn't listening (we were located in a higher end shopping area, some customers just didn't feel the need to listen to someone serving them, haha). Anyway, we made a mistake and I thought a sincere apology and a refund at her convenience should be sufficient, but give some people an inch and they want the whole universe!

Manda

I agree, you shouldn't feel bad about returning things.  I, like some of the others here, have gotten samples before and loved the product, only to get the full size and hate it. Also, if you have sensitivities (my skin is extremely sensitive), it is hard to see what works for you unless you actually try a product for over a week.

Mollycj

They are very understanding with returns and really want to make sure you love what you have. That's what really made me switch from drugstore to high end. At first I was like, "oh this stuff is cheap" but it never worked for me so I always just had to buy new stuff because drugstore don't accept returns. Meanwhile, yes Sephora is more expensive, but it allows you to test things out.

starletta8

I'm more concerned that she ignored your receipt- that makes a difference in terms of store credit vs refund.

colorobsession

(0) Hearts

I was thinking the same thing. Especially with the product that broke you out. It's one thing for the BB/foundation mixup, since you could just to an exchange. But if you use a product that you have an adverse reaction to you should be able to return it and get your money back with your original receipt. Doing the return in a way that forces you to get store credit is kind of deceitful. Even though a lot of us are Sephora-a-holics, you shouldn't be forced into using that money spent on another product if you don't want to (especially when you had the receipt!).

Apocalyptica

I feel bad when I return things because I feel like I've wasted a product but sometimes you just can't help it. I have had products where I would get a sample, use the sample and love it but then go buy the full sized product and it just wouldn't work for me, so rather than it sit and never be used I feel its better to return it. I've also had things break me out or I've brought the wrong color once on accident.

Sometimes I don't mind if I get store credit back (unless I'm returning something at a JCP location) because I figure I will just use it anyways or I already have something in mind. But when I go to JCP because their selection is SO limited I definitely prefer to get my cash back. If you didn't want store credit and had your receipts I would have spoken up. The girl may have gotten upset or annoyed but you are her customer and she should have asked before she just decided to give you store credit.

Meg82

Speaking of the return policy, does anyone know if you can return things you bought online while in the store?  I'll be at the store both tomorrow and Saturday and it seems like a waste of postage to return my online items via the mail.

And I'm sorry that woman was rude to you, that is like my biggest return anxiety, someone acting like I've inconvenienced them.

annonymous1

yes i do all my online returns in store, just make sure you have the online receipt if not that can only give you store credit

Meg82

I would be fine with store credit, but I do have the receipt so I'll make sure to bring it.  Thank you!

annonymous1

store credit is just another reason to come back! :smileytongue: no problem :smileyhappy:

latinadiva

I'm not gonna lie, I feel like I return stuff pretty often. Which honestly I hate because I feel like I just wasted their product but to the same respect, it it doesn't work for me, that's also a lot of money to waste when I would rather just get something that may work better for me. Any time I've returned without a receipt they just give me store credit, which I don't mind because I know I'll use it anyways. Otherwise, if I have the receipt they'll just credit my card/give me the cash depending on how I paid. I can't even recall the last time I returned something without a receipt. I've become a person who keeps receipts for anything way longer than is necessary! One thing I'm not gonna lie that I'm not a fan of is that they ask what the reason for the return is. It is an innocent question but for whatever reason it bugs me because the answer is always "it didn't work for me". All that being said, Sephora has the BEST return policy on the planet. I've had so much trouble returning things to Ulta, even when their receipt explains their policy they still don't follow it, so Sephora is definitely a place that has my vote on being convenient in regards to returns.

Cheer14

(0) Hearts

Thanks everyone, I have recently switched to pretty much buying all of my beauty products at Sephora so I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't like a limit of three items without receipts or something similar (several places that I have shopped at before have that policy).

laurabt

(0) Hearts

Hi Cheer14, I'm happy to forward your feedback to our retail division.  I'll send you a private message for more info. :smileyhappy: -Laura

annonymous1

(0) Hearts

i also agree, usually if you don't have a reciept they just don't give you money back or credit to the card, they usually have no problem giving you store credit, as long as your not returning $100 or more it shouldnt be an issue 

kalex

She certainly shouldn't have acted like you were inconveniencing her.  I'm sure a Mod will be contacting you to find out what location you were at.

Some stores do limit the amount of returns a person can make without a receipt.  Unless you do this on a regular basis I wouldn't worry about it.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 35 replies
  • 54 hearts
  • 19 in conversation
    • kalex
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • Manda
    • annonymous1
    • consolvo
    • poshified