SydBristow

Rescuing a Pulverized Eyeshadow With Alcohol

This may have already been posted here, but I did this recently and took pictures because some of the best guides are off site and we aren't supposed to post external links.

So I placed an order for LORAC eyeshadow single in "Sand."  It arrived absolutely pulverized.  I cleared off one end of a cotton swab so I'd have a nice stirring tool and mixed it up while slowly adding rubbing alcohol to create a thick paste.  I let it dry for about a day, uncovered, and this was the result.  Not perfect "retail" condition for sure, but it has stayed solid ever since and I use it all the time.

Sand.jpg

ChicDabbler

Re: Rescuing a Pulverized Eyeshadow With Alcohol

Does this work for originally loose powders, too? as in if I have a loose powder blush/eyeshadow, can I use alcohol/pressing to make it into pressed powder? or are the formulations different?

SuzeAlex

(0) Hearts

This is a fascinating question!  I want to try it, I'm going to order some empty metal pans with my next makeupgeekDOTcom order and give this a go.  -- That way they can go right into a Z palette.

ALSO, for others trying this, if you have to purchase alcohol for this, buy the 91% isopropyl alcohol instead of the 70% solution.  It dries much faster.

MysticalAngel

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

All I know is that if they are mineralized you need to add equal amount of glycerin to alcohol to bind the powder together. If you just use alcohol, the eyeshadow/blush/powder will crumble after it dries.

SydBristow

(0) Hearts

I have absolutely no idea...but I have a bunch of old bare minerals eye shadows I don't use that I'd be glad to use as a guinea pig!  :smileyhappy:  Unless someone else has already tried it!

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

There are a lot of tutorials online for turning loose powder into pressed powder, but none of them ever mention if it affect the performance. I think I read somewhere that if you put too much alcohol, then the powder could harden too much and it will be hard to pick up powder with a brush? and nowadays there's baked, pressed, micronized powder so yeah, I would be interested to know if the loose powder's formulation is different from pressed and whether turning it into pressed would affect performance. 

ps. you know what would be cool? (and prob require more money). Get the pressed and loose powder version of the same product (Too Faced prime/poreless powder for example). Press the loose powder and see if it gives you the same result as the pressed one.

cutiecocolove

(0) Hearts

look in youtube. tyoe michelle phan how to fix broken makeup. its hilarious and with a tutorial.

mberteig

(0) Hearts

I just did this for the first time yesterday as well.  I had picked up my favorite Wet N Wild 8 pan eyeshadow palette, but one of the pans had broken and crumbled.  I bought it anyway because it was on sale for 40% off, it was the only one left, and I got another 10% off due to the broken pan. 

I scooped it all out into a little glass dish, pulverized it all to powder, and added ispropyl alcohol until I had a paste, stirring with a stainless steel spatula.  I used the spatula to smooth the mixture into the empty pan, smoothed the top as best as I could, and am leaving it open several days to dry.  I checked it this morning and was pleasantly surprised, it felt mostly dry already, and I think it will work fine!

MysticalAngel

I actually press my shadow with a quarter and a small piece of an old(but clean!) t-shirt. The fibers from the shirt give it almost the exact same print as the original and the shirt sucks up all the excess alcohol. Then leave the shadow out to airdry. (Approximately 3 hours and it's good as new!) :smileyhappy:

Titian06

I was going to suggest waxed paper or parchment paper rather than a paper towel and a quarter since you can bake with both of those.

SydBristow

(0) Hearts

I put mine together with 70% but sanitize with 90%.  Didn't think to press it down with something to make it look pretty afterwards!  :smileyhappy:  It'll probably look better in about 6 months.  :smileyhappy:  I also have a backup for Sand, as it's one I really like for highlighting the inside corner of my eyes and my browbone.

prettyinpa

I've tried that alcohol trick too and it works great. I press my shadow back flat with the end of a hammer wrapped in paper towel. I got a hammer for free from a building place but it is way too flimsy to use and I was going to throw it out. Got the idea to use it as a shadow squisher, which after I alcohol sanitized it, seemed to feel to me to be infinitely cleaner than a coin. I also use the prying part to remove the lids on some of those hand creams that come in metal containers, I don't know why, but after a few uses, the lid goes on crooked and sticks something fierce.

malday

I read somewhere once that if you press the shadow in using a quarter with a paper towel it'll make the finish a little more even and give it a bit of that new eyeshadow texture! I've tried it before and it was a little difficult to keep it level but it had a much nicer look lol 

SallieSunshine

I tried this, too, and I thought it worked pretty well. Of course, I practically boiled the quarter first, plus doused it in alcohol - even though the paper towel goes on top of the product - because coins are so dirty. :smileyhappy:

malday

Yeah I basically soaked mine in alcohol first haha

jenjendoitagain

I did this a couple of weeks ago myself too! With an eyeshadow and a compact. They actually turned out good, but I don't think I'll use the compact again, simply because the odor is too strong with that one. I think I may have used too much alcohol. the shadow I did turned out great though. I took pics, but just haven't uploaded them yet. I used a toothpick to stir, but I think I'll use your idea of the qtip next time since it's a little thicker! :smileyhappy:

Thabks for sharing Syd :smileyhappy:

SallieSunshine

Have you tried letting the compact air out so the alcohol can evaporate?  I've only done this a few times, but I know what you mean about the lingering smell.  I had to leave a compact open for a few hours to get the smell to dissipate.

SydBristow

Oh yes, SallieSunshine, good point!  I try to leave mine open for at least 24 hours!  I haven't had an issue with smell yet, but most of my pans have been fairly shallow and maybe are drying quite quickly.

kristallovesdogs

Very neat!  I've heard of people doing that, but I've always been too lazy.  Mainly because I don't have alcohol in the house and that requires me to actually log on to Amazon and do a prime order... oh, the horror.  ha ha  But now you've made me want to.  I've tossed so many shadows that have fallen onto my tiled bathroom floor.  I'll try your trick next time.  Thanks!  :smileyhappy:

prettyinpa

Alcohol comes in 2 different strengths at my supermarket, the 70% kind and the 90% kind. Being the germophobe that I am, I get the maximum strength!

SydBristow

Glad it helps!  :smileyhappy:  It's not really "my" trick, it's posted a lot of other places. But it's nice to have the info here at BT for anyone who needs it in an emergency! :smileyvery-happy: 

Alcohol is good to have on hand to sanitize your makeup too, I actually got a little spray bottle for travel and filled it with 90% alcohol to spritz some of the items in my trades.  You can find the alcohol at any drug store, even the supermarket!  No need for an Amazon order. :smileywink:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 36 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • mberteig
    • malday
    • kristallovesdogs
    • ChicDabbler
    • MysticalAngel