lilyyy

Real reviews for Tarte deleted; fake positive are kept!

http://www.sephora.com/cheek-stain-collector-s-vault-P384587?skuId=1585587

Just click and see yourself. All the negative reviews are being deleted and every single fake review is being kept.

I am NEVER buying Tarte again. This is unethical and I will use every opportunity to inform others about Tarte's unscrupulous business.

Kickboxerkelly

Re: Real reviews for Tarte deleted; fake positive are kept!

(0) Hearts

I think it is Sephora you should be mad at and not Tarte. Tarte certainly isn't deleting things from Sephora's website. 

Britlee303

Wow, I have suspected that this was happening for other products in the past but to have proof is really upsetting :smileysad: But my question is if Sephora or Tarte is the company to blame? It seems like Sephora has to be the one deleting the reviews, but maybe Tarte is paying people to write fake positive reviews? Or maybe that part is done by Sephora too? Either way, when I look at reviews I first look at the ones rated "most helpful" by other customers because usually they are really honest and thorough, and then I look at the lowest ratings to see what problems people had. But ultimately I rely most on things like ingredients for skincare and swatches for most makeup!

sbowden

(0) Hearts

I went to Ulta today and just for kicks asked a SA if they had any of the old cheek stains. She said no but asked why I was wondering and I happily pointed out the size reduction, at which point she LIED to me and told me the size didn't change just the packaging. What?! 

daeidre

(0) Hearts

What the SA said is true. Brightest Bulb In The Box mentioned this in her discussion-- the size has remained constant since 2012. Obviously stock has been hanging around since the last batches of old size cheek stains, but now with the new packaging the size is consistent across the board.

lovelyred139

I've been loathe to mention this just because emotions seem to be running quite high about the cheek stains, but I bought a Flush stain in early 2013 that's 0.5 ounces.  Didn't want to be accused of shilling for the company.  If the size is on the back instead of prominently displayed on the front -- my 1 oz Natural Beauty stain is labeled as such on the front -- it's one of the newer batches.

madisynbrooke

(0) Hearts

Makeup is makeup. You can love the makeup and not like the people who make it. Plus, it's a personal opinion on how that make up has worked on your skin, and we all have different skin types.

TheRealNelly

(0) Hearts

I just looked and I saw a One Star review...RV.jpg

kevinbt

(0) Hearts

Hi all, reviews are not deleted just because they negatively portray a product.  There are a number of things that determine what will approve or deny a review.  Sometimes the system will even automatically deny a review if certain words are detected.  If the review has nothing to do with the actual product, (ie: packaging changes) then it probably is not going to get posted.  We want to focus on the product's performance.  

We are, however, forwarding everyone's feedback regarding the packaging to the appropriate contacts.  

Cheers! 

Kevin

ShinyMagpie

What about the thirty pages of "ooh pretty I can't wait to get it" reviews for the Naked 3 palette? That kind of thing should not be allowed. It completely dilutes the reputation and quality of all reviews and makes me think they're all worthless. I usually go looking for reviews elsewhere because I can't be bothered wading through all that kind of worthless garbage. 

infinitise

(0) Hearts

lol I agree. I honestly find them more or less annoying.. I always line the products from "highest rating" and because of those kinds of "reviews," I get a distorted image 

bratknits

Packaging is rather a large part of a cosmetic products appeal and value.  It's not just form, it impacts function and ease of use.  It is an integral part of performance for cosmetics.

keelybt

@Bratknits Sure, when it is phrased in that way it is fine.  If the packaging affects ease of use or how it goes on, those should stay. However, when it is a complaint about less product for the price, it's not a helpful review for others.  We understand people are upset about the packaging change and that is valid feedback which we have passed on, but a bunch of 1 star reviews with that same complaint doesn't help anyone who wants to know how people feel the product performs.

sundaespal

[ Edited ]

A review stating it's a bad value for the price is an unhelpful review, but all the reviews allowed to stand about how everyone is overreacting and it's a good value for the price are helpful reviews? Most of the reviews deleted were marked very helpful by your own customers, and vice versa!

bratknits

That makes it sound like the decisions are made on a product by product basis and the criteria are subjective rather than objective.  It undermines the reason for even having reviews if they can be deleted and moderated by an individual with motivations unknown and criteria that can vary, it sort of reeks of something called payola in radio.  

It's a system easily manipulated and abused and makes the reviews virtually worthless.  When there's that much play in the criteria there's no way to know if the person editing the reviews that day isn't taking a little something under the table from a brand rep.  Companies that will pay people to post good reviews, and many have been caught, would have no qualms about playing that game in the reverse.

kevinbt

[ Edited ]

Bratknits - I can assure you that does not happen.  But thank you all for your feedback! We will be forwarding it. 

Cheers! 

Kevin

bratknits

(0) Hearts

Yeah, I think Alan Freed said that as well...

chupi

(0) Hearts

They are advertising the Tarte reboots on Sephora's FB page. Lots of negative comments there.

nhunka

(0) Hearts

I went to the product page again and all the bad reviews were deleted  AGAIN and the rating went up from like 2.5 stars to 4

This company is ridiculous. Im gonna tell everyone not to buy their products. 

Kickboxerkelly

(0) Hearts

It is not Tarte's fault, it is the way Sephora filters reviews. Don't take it out on Tarte, I love them because they are cruelty free :-) 

m3rma1d

[ Edited ]

Deception and manipulation in the beauty industry?

Hang on I'm gonna need a moment, the room is spinning because I'm just so shocked.

:-p

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 151 replies
  • 302 hearts
  • 59 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • kalex
    • DTalksAll
    • lb1414
    • chupi