kimmi1115

Quick Makeup Products

As I started to use my Avon Double Ended Eyeshadow Pencil in Go To Greens, it dawned on me that it was a perfect product for my upcoming school semester.  I just have to pick it up, apply, and not have to think what exactly I want to wear.  I'll be commuting everyday for the Fall semester, and there will be mornings where I may be in a bit of rush, especially since I don't have to be on campus super early.  I can have a bit more sleep.

After that, I started wondering what else may help make the morning routine a bit faster when needed.  The rush practice will also be handy when I observe my mentor teacher in the spring (who may be in or out of town; then I gotta get my butt back on campus for classes) and when I student teach next fall (once again, it may be in or out of town).  

Do you have any suggestions or favorites for quick products?  I'm open to high end and drugstore suggestions.  As for high end, I don't want to go too high since I'm on a college budget.  No Dior or anything like that until I walk across the stage to get my degree lol.

beeaaatrice

Re: Quick Makeup Products

As a college student as well, I'm always in a rush so I know how you feel! NARS Tinted Moisturizer is great for those days where I don't want to take the time to put on a lot of foundation. @jinxski gave some good advice, I love ELF as a drugstore brand! Their brow gel is great, I use it and I'm in love. Their mascaras are awesome too. Hope that helps!

prosopon

I know you mentioned you have one eye look that you've got down pat, but as another option there are some shadows out there that work really well one shadow looks.  The L'Oreal Infallibles and the Maybelline Color Tattoos work well for this.  I have been making a really quick look with L'Oreal in Bronzed Taupe and it looks like a multi-toned eye but with one shadow and 2 brushes. Another good color in the Infallible line is Amber Rush.

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

I've used one Maybelline Color Tattoo before, and I absolutely loved it!  I just never got around to purchasing another due to other things catching my eye.  I haven't tried any of the L'Oreal ones, but I have read many amazing things about them.

GGrace

I commuted last year and had my makeup down to a science, I used the same bb cream, blush andhighlighter everyday. My eye look varried but was always from the same neutral palette, Saint by Kat Von D. It's my go to everyday that I need an easy look. The only thing I really varied was my lipstick but even then I stuck to the same 3-5 lipsticks at a time by grabbing a few out of my stash( or buying new ones) every month and putting back the others for another time so I didn't get bored

GGrace

One palette during the week is definitely the way to go if you want to cut down on time

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

I have thought about just sticking with a neutral palette throughout the week, either Naked or Naked Basics.  However, the first Naked palette has so many choices lol.

starletta8

I'm with everyone on being pre-planned. I know I've posted photos on here before about how I set up my vanity area the night before. Possibly 2 choices for eyeshadow, 2 colors for lipstick, etc. If it's grab and go, you'll fly through your routine.

It's so ingrained I caught myself laying out makeup on a Saturday night for the next day. LOL.

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

That sounds like a good habit to have!

starletta8

I used to take 90-120 minutes to get ready, without fail.

I've got that down to 40, and haven't changed anything aside from getting organized in advance.

It helps when your alarm is going off before 5am!

crayzeeRN

I miss college :smileyhappy: That sounds so bizarre! I know a few years ago I would have thought I was nuts saying that...

Tinted Moisturizer or BB/CC Cream is definitely a good tip, as mpolansky mentioned below. I'm comfortable putting those on with my fingers and they take much less time to blend than using a brush with foundation! I try to stick with one color on my lids, either powder or cream- with cream I can skip primer, so that saves a step as well!

To make your morning beauty routine faster in general (something I'm constantly working on- if I'm 10 minutes late out the door, its because I've been playing with makeup too much!)- I keep a cosmetic bag on my counter which I toss items into the night before. I make myself stick with the colors and items I've chosen in the bag when I do my makeup in the morning, which saves me time browsing over colors and options!

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

Another point for the BB Cream!  One of the TMs I've used in the past applied better with a brush than fingers for some reason.  Are BB creams not as thick as some TMs?  

During the summer, I have used only two shadows for certain looks, so I'm almost to the one shadow look lol.

mpolansky

I'm a college student as well so I definitely can relate on the budget and speed aspects.

For classes, I don't go crazy with looks. The easiest routine (for me at least) has been:
      1. Tinted moisturizer or bb cream (I find foundation is too heavy for daily use & requires more time/care in blending it out)
      2. Light dusting of powder foundation or setting powder
      3. Cream eyeshadow (again this is faster than making sure an eyeshadow is perfectly applied/blended out. My favorite right now is Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow in My Two Cents)
      4. Mascara

5. Tinted lip balm or lipstick - depends how daring I'm feeling that day :smileywink:  sometimes a bold lip with simple eye makeup makes it look like you spent more time getting ready than you really did.

Since you also mentioned traveling a lot... I would make sure you carry a small travel bag with you that has your makeup backups. That way if you do forget something in your morning rush, you're ok! At the very least, I recommend carrying a pressed powder and lip color. If you have oily skin, blotting papers would be nice to keep in there too!

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

A BB Cream is sounding more and more interesting.  I have used tinted moisturizers in the past, but I haven't come across one that has really stood out at me in order to be repurchased.  

jinxski

I recently picked up a few ELF products for my trip abroad, and I'm loving all of them so far!

They have all these different two in one sticks, with concealer on one side and highlighter on the other, it makes getting ready in the morning super easy, especially if I have to do it outside of my apartment.

Mm... definitely get ready with clothes, snacks, and just everything beforehand! I'm a college student too, and I'm never at my best in the mornings. If I don't prepare at night, I tend to always forget something, and campus is such a far drive away!

kimmi1115

I hear wonderful things about the ELF products, especially on Instagram.  Target carries the brand, but I can't recall what items they did have by ELF.  Are there any other ELF products that stood out to you?

jinxski

I love their eyebrow gel, I've used a ton of other ones and this one doesn't leave that weird flaky residue that some others do. Their gel also comes in this combo set, with eyebrow gel on one side and clear mascara on the other!

A few of my friends own ELF palettes and really enjoy using them! They're surprisingly pigmented, considering the price. Especially since my local TJ Maxx carries ELF too, so you can get a huge palette for as low as $10!

I hear their lip exfoliator and eyeliner is also really good, as is their jumbo lip gloss stick.

With them, there's a little less to lose since every product is only $1-3. Then again, it's still important to choose carefully, money is money!

I'd suggest the palette and eyebrow gel, probably more strongly than the other recs that I've heard about, since I've used those two myself and have re-bought them time and time again!

prettyinpa

Echoing Titan06's advice, lay out your clothes and makeup the night before, pack your backpack and make a breakfast and lunch & put it in the fridge. That way, you can just shower (or not, when I know I have to be off quickly in the AM, I take care of that the night before), jump in your clothes, spend your time putting on your makeup without being rushed, then eat your breakfast (don't skip this, it's so important for your health), then grab your pack and lunch and go!

I like BB creams to speed up my morning routine, they give skincare benefits along with some decent coverage, and NARS Multiples- they can be used as blush, lip color and shadow in a pinch. 

kimmi1115

I'm a morning shower person so that I can work with my curls in the morning.  I completely forgot to mention that lol.  I learned the hard way in high school NOT to skip breakfast.  Passing out in class is not fun lol.  A BB cream may be something I need to look into.  It does take me a bit to apply my Neutrogena Foundation since I use my Clinique foundation brush to make sure I apply and blend it properly.  Do BB Creams apply easier than standard foundations?  The NARS Multiples sound interesting, too!  I've never actually looked at them in store.

prettyinpa

I find BB cream to be somewhat easier to apply than foundation, mostly because of the thinner consistency, it's easier to spread around evenly and doesn't form thicker areas as readily. I dot on a fingerprint's worth on forehead, each cheek, bridge of nose and chin, then run my big foundation brush over quickly to spread it around before it dries. Areas that need more coverage like around my nose, I dot just a tiny dab there and go over again with the brush and I'm done. Often I can skip concealer if I apply the thin extra coat of BB cream, so that saves time. Get a sample of UD's Naked Skin, Smashbox BB cream and if you really want some fun, you can get the Dr Jart's  kit which contains a bunch of different BB creams. Have fun practicing this summer so you'll be lightning quick by fall. lol

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

The BB cream routine sounds so much easier!  Thank you for the tips!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 29 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • prosopon
    • wendyomgwar
    • kimmi1115
    • crayzeeRN
    • jinxski