elea33

Products That are all HYPE!

Some of the threads discussed recently involved product disappointments and let downs. I think these are sometimes more enlightening than the positive ones. Often I’m excited to purchase something because of the buzz surrounding it, and I’ve been very let down. Maybe it’s me…but sometimes it’s hard to tell if the reviews are true or influenced by freebies and sponsorships.

The worst let down I had was the Benefit They’re Real Mascara. This stuff never worked for me no matter what I tried. I almost felt an obligation to love it because of the reviews. It gave me clumped spider lashes like a Tammy Faye wanna-be. Not pretty at all! Not only that, but even with one coat it made my lashes fall straight. I know I may be in the minority here, but it was such a disappointment.

Which products do you think are all hype?

elea33

Re: Products That are all HYPE!

(0) Hearts

I have two new products to add to the thread.

The Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick and Boscia

Let me first say that I love both of these brands and have staples from both I can't live without.

Stila makes an amazing liquid liner pen and Boscia's Make up Breakup Oil is the best remover I've ever tried.

I probably wouldn't have tried the Stila liquid lipstick if I hadn't heard the rave reviews on it, especially the color Fiery. On application it is pretty thick. You have to be pretty precise due to the opacity of the formula as well. Once on it has a slight off putting scent to it and I instantly felt like I had scotch tape over my lips. I know that sounds weird, but it had that much like the long wearing liquid lip colors due. It completely sucked the moisture from my lips as well and looked cracked while it was on. That's not cute!

I was excited to try the Boscia BB Cream as they do make some fantastic skincare items I love. First issue was color. I have a light skintone with neutral undertones, but this was a little dark for me. There is only one shade so it make work for the vast majority, It did apply nicely. It had a slightly whipped texture, but I quickly noticed that it had small flecks of glitter in it. Not shimmer, but actual micro glitter. I really was struggling with that. It was very noticable and glitter doesn't speak "fresh face" to me. It did wear extremely well, but I can't get over the color and glitter factor. I wish they would fix these issues, then the product would be amazing.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Bare Minerals foundation/primers....

The primers come in tiny bottles and cost the same as getting a larger bottle in another brand, and I've seen BM foundation work better with other primers like Too Faced Primed and Poreless.

The foundation....I've worked cosmetics retail at a location that sold BM, and I was never a fan. I also work freelance make up and hair and I've seen what that stuff looks like on a full frame, full sensor camera with studio flash and the works....when a photo is blown to scale and in full resolution/HD style, the make up/shine looks like tiny reflective fish scales on the skin, ick. Customers would come in and complain that their skin would itch and burn in the hot Houston heat with it on, when we asked a BM head rep what that was all about she said the tingle sensation is referred to as a "stingle"...a cross between a "sting" and "tingle" and it's the make up migrating/repositioning itself on the face so it's not running or streaking like a liquid make up. I was horrified, I kept picturing the stock footage in movies where boulders and rocks tumble down a cliffside when she said it "migrates". Sorry, but I don't want my foundation "migrating" anywhere! I tried the regular formulation on my skin one day to see what the hype was and espcially since I was so hard on the brand/product without trying it first (prior to the Matte formula being released) and it looked HORRIBLE! My pores at my cheeks/nose where maginifed and I never have an issues with my pores when make up is a concern. I even had primer on and it was no good!

Some of their lipsticks/glosses are pretty, some of their eye shadows are pretty (just the loose powders get to be so messy) but there are tons of brands with similar colors and no mess. I was surprised by their pressed shadows, some of the quads I swatched seemed to have some good color pay off.

jojobe

(0) Hearts

Where to start!

The biggest dissapointment would have to be Philosophy. Never could get it to work right, no matter what the reviews say. While I like the scent combinations I can NEVER use these on my hair. As a body wash, they are okay, but I still need my Lancome Body cream after.

Dior NEW LOOK mascara is also a big flop.

mangosong

(0) Hearts

Bare Minerals.

ALL of my friends raved about how awesome and great it was so I got the kit. I watched the video twice (the second time my roommate watched with me), so I was pretty secure I knew what I was doing... put it on, and before lunch not only very my pores looking like you could see them from space, but my face looked like I had wiped crisco all over it. Now I have oily skin, but not THAT oily. I tired every which way... I bought the a different primer, I bought the matte foundation, nothing helped.

My friend, who has super dry skin complained that it looked super cakey on her and accentuated lines. It seems to me that it's good for normal skin, but not for oily or dry.

Since then I have switched to Smashbox primer and Clinique foundation and it's the perfect combination.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Hey Elea,

I don't know if this will help you or not but I went thru every mascara that there is on the market A-Z and not joking. The thing I learned to look at  after spending toooo much money was to look at the brushes. You sound just like me I in no way ever want spider lashes! Compare  the size of the brushes (most the time) I'm not saying always but that has helped me to keep from wasting money. Most of the time the volumizing mascaras have massive brushes and will take care of lengthening, volume, and curl. But look at YSL shocking mascara, dior show, and armani mascaras, I know these aren't the only ones they're just the ones I could think of at the moment!!

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Right, mascara brush do make a difference. I would recommend saving your favorite brushes so you can use it when you've got too much on or is using a mascara where you like the solution but hate the brush. I put a generous amount of facial cleanser on an old toothbrush, then gently scrub the mascara clean off the brush. I also use it sometimes to groom my brows/lashes.

makeupobesessed

I feel that the Maybelline baby lips was way overrated, it was dry and tasted awful, but they couldn't keep it in stores. I also think anything Philosophy is not worth it. The Benfits They're real mascara, I agree it's clumpy and I get better length and volume with Great Lash. The MUFE aqua eyeliners, good for the top and below eyelashes, but the waterline? I can't get it to go on dark or stay there. Also, UD potion primer, I looked Too Faced primer better as it doesn't dry as quickly. and lastly, I think the Bare Minerals loose eyeshadow is way too messy to deal with when there are so many others with just as good color payoff and less messy. Even their solid shadows are better.
missconduct

Hmm..problems that are all hype?  Good question!

1. Smashbox BB Cream -  Just awful! 
  2. Hourglass Immaculate Collection Mattifying Foundation  -  I can't even begin to explain all of the reasons why I hated that foundation. 
  3. Julep Nail Polish - Essie chips way less, and for less money! 
  4. Oscar Blandi Dry Shampoo -  Smells great, but for dark haired girls - you cannot get the powder to blend to save your life. 
  5. NARS eyeshadow -  Does not blend, and the payoff is dreadful.  

Those are definitely my top 5.  

elea33

Missconduct,

I have to say that I love NARS Eyeshadows, but I can't stand their lipgloss! It has a weird smell to it and is completely sticky.

I also hate Oscar Blandi Dry Shampoo. It never works for me. I've tried a few times and then my second day hair still feels oily and now smells like a dirty lemon!!!

missconduct

(0) Hearts

@Elea33:  Nothing worse than a dirty lemon!  Maybe it was just the NARS Delphes set I got, but it was horrid!  However, I suck it up because I like the gray color and if I wet the brush, I can get more pay off.  Even with a primer it's still faint.  But what are ya gunna do?  

ran8

Most of my list for overrated products are skincare related.  However, there are a few makeup ones as well.

Certain "BB Creams" - Other than the Dr. Jart ones, I was not exactly thrilled with the other brands (at least the western ones).  Oxybenzone is a deal breaker (especially facial ones). 

Clinique foundations - Lightest shade is orange.  Never matched well.

Buxom Big and Healthy Lip Stick- How to age my lips in minutes.  I have had drying lipsticks before but this one takes the cake.  It excentuated every crack and flaws in my lips.  Not desirable at all. 

Aveda's Nourish-mint products.  It burns, take it off, NOW!  That pretty much sums up my experience with those. 

ChicDabbler

I want to love Korres Wild Rose Kit so much, but I hate every single item in it. The cleanser was super drying and makes me flaky. The serum and eye cream are gooey and super sticky. The cream also doesn't absorb. It was the first thing I returned to Sephora.

I also tried a sample packet of the ExfoliKate gentle treatment that everyone loves. The first time I tried it, it stings and hurt like hell. I can feel the acid eating into my face and I just have to wash it off. When I wash it off, my skin was so rough and raw. It was the same the next 2 times I tried it, so I decide to never ever go near it ever again.

I'm also not a big fan of Philosophy. The effects are ok but I read the ingredients list and it's so chemical-y, and then I turn to other brands.

elea33

(0) Hearts

@beautytester:

I'm a little worried now. I just purchased the Wild Rose + Vitamin C Advanced Brightening Sleeping Facial based on some good reviews it got. I hope this one won't go back!!

I agree with some of the Kate Somerville stuff. It's so expensive, but in most cases I don't see the results.

Manda

(0) Hearts

MUFE HD Foundation - I swear, people say that it is "great" for sensitive skin.  Yes, it is great for a few days, that is until your skin decides that it doesn't like the ingredients in it.  Not only that, but it actually showed my laugh lines and didn't cover them at all.  Even BareMinerals does a better job!  I also thought it was extremely light and drying, even after using a cream moisturizer.

Boscia's BB Cream - I swear, I love Boscia and their products!  Their BB cream is horrid though.  it is really orange and can be hard to blend in because of it. 

thedoglover

(0) Hearts

i bought the wet and wild liquid black eyeliner from five below it was like 2.99 to 3.00 and its a brush eyeliner i dont like it cause its hard to use and i got it in my eye a few times and it came on to thick and it burn for a bit when i got it in my eyes so i think thats so hype for a product

elizbeth1972

For me its mostly skincare too....I have not been impressed with most Philosophy products (i.e. hope in a jar) that I have tried, Perricone and the Dr. Dennis Gross Peel Pads (both regular and extra strength).  Recently I had also tried the Dr. Brandt Intensolution treatment toner which apparently won an allure award, but I did not think it was worth the $35.  I used the entire bottle and don't think that it helped keep breakouts at bay.   

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 16 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • mangosong
    • elea33
    • missconduct
    • ran8
    • Manda
    • jojobe