Products Regret Buying

melisa16

Products Regret Buying

I have seen this post before so I thought it would be fun to do another one. Because what someone may love you may hate.
Here is my list:
-MUFE Mat Velvet Plus, I bought this because I get oily in summer but I feel like it makes a greaseball
-Benefit Boing- Just didn't get the hype
-NARS Deep Throat- Expensive for the size, and color looks pretty in pan but have to apply a lot because it is sheer
-Ole Henriksen Truth Serum- Made me break out more

jenpred

Re: Products Regret Buying

It makes me sad when products don't live up to the hype and don't perform as advertised :smileysad: . My regrets would have to be:

• Bobbi Brown Brightening Finishing Powder in Porcelain Pearl - It kicks up too much excess powder, and doesn't show up on my face AT ALL. I don't even know what to do with it. I got it at IMATS L.A. for 40% off, so it didn't break the bank, but it was still such a bummer.
  • Dior Maximizer Lash Plumping Serum - I know this is HG for a lot of gals, but this made my eyes burn and made my lashes look worse :smileysad:
  • Nars Mad Mad World Eyeshadow Duo - This was before I knew what colors were in the large Ariel palette. And the green in this duo is HORRIBLE! So blotchy and chalky. Yuck! The blue is fab, though.
poshified

To me, the BB Brightening Finishing Powder was just a compact of glitter that did nothing to control oil!

marydiva

(0) Hearts

Mint Palette from Lorac

Now, here's the thing. There's not actually anything WRONG with the palette. I had been lusting over it FOREVER and wanted it SOOOO bad...but when I got it and actually put the colors on in real life, they didn't look as perfect as I imagined.

The mattes are chalky looking and the dark colors are SUPER dark while the light colors are SUPER light....

I'm not returning it though. There's nothing wrong with the actual product so I'll just have to learn to work with the eyeshadows.

The blush & highlighter are both VERY pretty and alone are worth the $42 that the palette costs, PLUS it came with a pretty liquid lipstick. I like the shimmery side of the palette better than the matte side, but I needed some good mattes anyway, so I'm just going to deal with it.

Probably the biggest reason I regret buying it though is that the pretty "mint" shade isn't really mint - it's a frosty blue color that's not very flattering.

dianabt

(0) Hearts

Not sure if I ever replied to this but I (like you marydiva!) was lusting over a product for AGES. and I've used it once and don't care for it as much as I hoped. :smileysad:

Urban Decay rollergirl palette.

I love the shades but the hot pink look horrible on my skin tone and its too shimmery/metallic for my large eyes. It would be great for anyone else but not me sadly.

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
plm95

(0) Hearts

UD 24/7 Glide On Eye Pencil - These totally messed with my contacts and made my eyes burn. I can only wear it when I wear my glasses, which isn't frequent. Too expensive for what it is.
Benefit Lemon-aid - This is drying and useless. This didn't correct any redness and left me with a cakey mess.
Nars Org*sm Blush - The glitter in this made me break out and the blush was barely visible on my skin. I have a medium skin tone and it just left glitter chunks everywhere. Don't understand the hype. Returned.
Benefit Boiing - Just like lemon-aid, it was drying and cakey. The hype around this stuff is crazy, too.
Bobbi Brown Concealer - It's a nice concealer. But that's it. It's just simply nice. It's way too lightweight for my awesome under eye circles! Especially for the amount you get and the price, I feel like I'd go through it like water!

clarks18

(0) Hearts

Oh I can't stand Lush!  I'm glad I'm not the only one.  That store and it's products are pretty overrated.  Sorry to say.

PoshDarling

This is such a great idea for a post! I love reading all of the responses. Here is a portion of my (sadly very long) list. I’m trying to remember things off the top of my head.

LUSH - Having tried several products and having them do nothing for my skin, I regret being sucked in by all the great reviews, the products just don’t work for me.

Side note and rant about LUSH: I went in to pick up a Catastrophe Cosmetic mask last week, and 3 salespeople jumped at me at once and tried to sell me 3 other masks, a serum bar, and some kind of “toner tabs” that they claimed were a must have. They were very fake-friendly and enthusiastic. Now, I love enthusiasm if it’s genuine, but in this case, they were definitely giving me the hard sell. When I explained that I’d only like to purchase one mask today, they kept asking “Well what are your skin concerns, we have a full line here, let’s get you some products” and were pissed off when I went on my merry way with just one mask.

When I got to the register, the SA tried to sell me their beach kit, and when I said that I’d already tried Ocean Salt and wasn’t impressed, she demanded to know “what I wanted out of it”. Umm, I wanted it to, you know, EXFOLIATE!

I understand a salespersons job is to sell products, but when I go to a store to purchase something, I have a list of what I want and generally, I stick to that list. If they wanted to suggest a product, that’s fine, but when you’re pushing products on me, in my face, and being very pushy, I’m more likely to walk out with nothing.

Ok! Sorry that rant was so long!

GlamGlow Mask (black jar) - I so wanted this to work, but it did nothing for my blackheads or my skin and I found it messy to apply. I didn’t experience a tingle, which is good, but my skin was irritated after I rinsed it off.

Fresh Soy Face Cleanser - The worst for me. The morning after I used this for the first time was the beginning of my experience with eczema or a rash similar. There were two small red circle rashes around my mouth as well as the dry, burning bits that are classic eczema symptoms. Since this was the only new product I was using, that had to be it.

Philosophy Purity Made Simple - Broke me out, did not remove makeup. I don’t know why this cleanser gets the praise it does, I found it to be one of the worst I’ve tried.

Ole Henriksen - I’ve tried quite a few of these products and had high hopes but all they did was break me out.

Urban Decay - I’ve tried so many products and have been completely unimpressed by every one (Naked 1, 2, and Basics, 24/7 Concealer, Powder, Lipstick, Chill Setting Spray).

Edward Bess - Was so excited when Sephora started carrying Edward Bess, but it didn’t live up to it’s hype in my opinion.

Sunday Riley Skincare - Juno, Bionic, Good Genes, and Effortless Primer. After spending a fortune trying this line (no stores in my area carry it, so sampling was impossible), Juno was my favorite item, but even that was nowhere near worth it.

I am a Foundation junkie, so I try everything. The following foundations would be on my “No Thanks” list:

Dior DiorSkin Forever Flawless Foundation

Dior Capture Totale Foundation

Hourglass Immaculate Foundation

MUFE HD (sad about this one! broke me out)

MUFE Mat Velvet

Laura Mercier Silk Creme (another one I wanted to love that just looked bad on me and made me break out).

Similar to my foundation obsession is my love of big dramatic lashes, and thus, trying every different mascara known to man (it’s a sickness, isn’t it? haha). These didn’t work for me:

Diorshow

Benefit They’re Real Mascara

Lancome Primer

Dior Primer

MUFE Smoky Lash

Too Faced Better Than False Lashes

melde

(0) Hearts

I like a lot of Lush products but I always dislike their SAs, haha.

trucie

(0) Hearts

I second both of the MUFE foundation, just don't work on me, causes major breakouts. I never understand why it's a hype since it has parabens. I found UD naked foundation works better and also doesn't have parabens.

I love Dior flawless foundation, I just wish it has more lighter shades, and doesn't oxidize so bad on me lol. I have to mix Dior flawless foundation in 010 with NARS sheer matte foundation in Siberia. It works well that way.

Benefit products are always overrated. Their mascara isn't that good.

rtista

(0) Hearts

Wow, you've tried a lot of foundations, I'm glad I didn't run out to get the Hourglass Immaculate.  Do you have a favorite foundation?  

PoshDarling

My all-time favorite foundation is Armani Luminous Silk Foundation. Medium coverage, but can be layered easily for fuller coverage. I started using this 10 years ago, and although my skin has changed a bit since then, I still find myself going back to this.

latinadiva

(0) Hearts

I'm glad I'm not the only one that wouldn't repurchase the Hourglass Immaculate Foundation. Everyone with oily skin RAVES about it...but I just find it to be cakey and it doesn't really keep me oily. Do I go longer without being oily...yeah probably. But I still look cakey. I haven't returned it because I'm just..determined to find a way to make it work. I want to try mixing it with my foundations that are just slightly too dewy, which I don't mind the look but of course..I then get oily and gross in like 2 hours. 

For mascaras, you should try the Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara. I also just recently got the new MAC In Extra Dimension 3D Lash and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's probably the best mascara I've ever used (and trust me I've used a loooooot of mascaras).

PoshDarling

(0) Hearts

I had the same experience with Hourglass Immaculate, it was cakey on me almost immediately. It also didn't keep my skin matte at all. I thought it was just me, since like you said, everyone with oily skin raves about it.

I just picked up Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara yesterday, now I am even more excited to try it! The MAC mascara sounds good, too!!

dolceloure

(0) Hearts

I took a stroll down Sephora Memory Lane, aka my purchase records. :smileywink: And I winced a little at:

Sephora Collection duo eyeshadow golden pink. The two colors looked more distinct online, and I was disappointed to find they looked very similar when it actually arrived. I never use it. :-/

Betsey Johnson Too Too Pretty rollerball perfume. It was a blind purchase; I figured I'd like it b/c I love the original, but nope. Gave it to my sister.

Dior Hydra Life BB Creme. Honestly, I really liked it when I first bought it, (it was a nice change from the powder foundations I was using) but then I discovered liquid foundation and I was like, ugh, stupid BB creme, lol. It's a fine product, but I feel like since I don't care for it much anymore, I do regret this purchase b/c it was expensive.

Clean Summer Fun Duo. I like Clean Warm Cotton, so I took a chance at this perfume duo without sampling it first (I'm super cautious with skincare and makeup purchases, but w/ fragrances, I'm too much of a risk taker!) anyway, I didn't like either. Gave them both to my sister. (yes, she gets a LOT of free perfume from me!)

miabt

(0) Hearts

Ugh, I feel you all!  The LORAC Pro Eye Tutorial Kit.  I decided to pick it up around my birthday in Feb & it was horrible.  The gel liner moves, the primer didnt help & the mascara flaked.  Sigh.  I always feel bad returning things, so I kept it & I keep trying to find ways to make it work :smileysad:

xo, Mia

krunce

The Stila Set & Correct Baked Powder Trio seemed too good to be true.

It was.

My parents were over a few weeks ago and late into the evening, looked at me appalled as they realized that parts of my face seemed to be green. It took me a moment but I realized it was this product, which I haven't used since. The three correcting colours aren't evenly weighted and eventually, the shaver is slanted and you get more of one than the others. And then, the shaver just becomes useless halfway down the product. If you take the lid off, you lift off way more of certain colours than some, and there you go. Green face. :smileysad:

beeaaatrice

(0) Hearts

- Benefit Boi-ing concealer: wasn't industrial strength, just looked cakey under my eyes

- Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer: wasn't actually creaseless.

- ELF Liquid Eyeliner: was not consistent when applied (I should have known better!)

- MAC Mineralize Concealer: doesn't work!

- Most MAC products in general. I thought I liked them but I realize how little I actually do now.

As you can see, I've gone through a lot of concealers trying to find the right one...

melisa16

(0) Hearts

I have had the same problems, trying to find the right concealer as well!

beeaaatrice

(0) Hearts

I have so many concealers that I don't like but I feel so bad because I don't want to return them, but I don't want to keep buying concealers that don't work for me :smileysad:

mpolansky

Benefit Some Kind-A Gorgeous!!!

I was on a major Benefit kick at the beginning of the summer. Everything I tried I was loving.....until this. Thought it would be a perfect lightweight product for the summer. But no. Stay far far away from this product!!! Made my skin feel so gross and oily and I don't even have that oily of skin. 

I bought this from the benefit website and I didn't want to deal with the hassle of mailing it back...so major regret. Lesson learned: buy from stores with easy return policies and that are close-by!

poshified

Sephora is love! :smileyvery-happy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 126 replies
  • 95 hearts
  • 60 in conversation
    • runy
    • DTalksAll
    • islandqt