Jyces

Primer for Oily/Combination Skin!? Please help.

(0) Hearts

I have combination/oily skin (t-zone area) and every primer I have tried has been unable to prevent my makeup from becoming oily and creasing - though this may have something to due with using the wrong types of primers  (Hourglass, Arbonne, Monistat). I've spent a lot of money trying to find the perfect primer, but no luck so far! I've heard great things about Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch (http://www.sephora.com/instant-smooth-perfecting-touch-P130909)). Anyone have experience with this product, or know any other good products that would work for me?

mangosong

Re: Primer for Oily/Combination Skin!? Please help.

(0) Hearts

Hi!

As someone with super oily skin, I use UD for my eyelids and Smashbox Photo finish in Light for the rest of my face. Hope it works!

HadleyMonster

(0) Hearts

Hi Jyces!

I know you're getting answers all over the place, but I find the more silicone I put on my face, the worse my oil gets.

I like to actually put oil ON my face (oil cancels out oil), so I wash my face at night, tone, then apply Josie Maran's Argan Oil. In the morning, I use Hourglass's Mineral Veil Primer and set with MUFE HD setting powder. I find this combo is working perfectly (for the moment!) for my skin, and if it gets oily mid-day, I just apply some touch up powder and I'm all set.

I really want to try NARS'S new setting powder, because I'm using their Sheer Glow foundation, so we'll see.

Good luck!

melodytkan

(0) Hearts

Definitely try the Smashbox primers! I have the same problem as you and have tried so many primers out there in the past that have claimed to reduce oiliness but have had no luck until I finally gave the Smashbox one a try. Foundation stays on amazingly! :smileyhappy:

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

@latinadiva- Yes and it's about the only eye primer I used that I looove. I'm not sure what it is about it, everything is so smooth and looks smooth all day.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

I'm now a VERY huge fan of Tarte's BB Tinted Cream, which works as a primer as well.  Unlike alllll the others I tried before, it doesn't feel like a mask, doesn't break me out, and it actually does what it says it's going to do.  My skin is nearly flawless when I wear it under Tarte's 12 Hour foundation--the only flaws left were recovering blemishes but even they were less noticeable and smoother.  Love!

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

I second Benefit POREfessional. However, if you don't want a silicone based primer, check out the primers from Korres.

As for setting/mattifying powder, I think whatever you use for face should work for eyes, too. I just apply them using a big eyeshadow brush and it's fine (I use Clinique Stay Matte).

jellymonster

You should try Givenchy's Mister Mat, and Smashbox Oil Free primer! Also, finish with a light translucent setting powder! I just purcahased the new Nars setting pressed powder and I love it! It relfects like, controls oil, and sets your makeup all day. I use it in my t-zone area.

latinadiva

(0) Hearts

jellymonster, i've had my eye on a new setting powder, specifically for under my eyes. i usually use bare minerals well rested under the eyes but i feel like i don't always want that super highlighted look, but i don't want to look washed out either. i swatched it the other day and i found it to be kind of sparkly..but when i think about it i was also swatching shadows and we all know how swatching anything with microglitter works out. what could you compare it to in terms of reflection? 

lylysa

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

With powders around or under the eye area, be careful not to overload product as the under eye area is delicate and an excess of powder can make this area look dry and aged.

If you're planning to use a highlighter with shimmer in this area and prefer to stick with a powder, try one that is finely milled. Too Faced's Candlelight Invisible Powder is a good, subtle option with a warm hint of shimmer.

Powders that are too glittery or shimmery under the eyes can make skin look oily in photos or too reflective.

You can always use a highlighting product around the orbital bone area, be it a powder, cream, or liquid product, apply that first and then follow up with a light sweep of translucent setting powder on top.

latinadiva

(0) Hearts

i wasn't looking for a highlighter, just more of a setting powder because sometimes i find my concealer settles. i feel like i would have gravitated to benefit's powderflauge but obviously can't get that unless i hunted for it online and that weirds me out. i've heard that for setting concealer you should specifically look for a setting powder for under the eyes..but i don't know how true that is and i also can't seem to find one. any suggestions?

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Try using a finely milled powder like Too Faced's Absolutely Invisible powder (translucent and packed with antioxidants) or use a HD, silica based powder like MUFE's HD powder, Urban Decay's Razor Sharp (also hydrates with encapsulated water molecules), or Too Faced's Primed and Poreless Powder.

Use a fan brush and apply a delicate layer over the under eye area.

Another trick to help reconstitute caked or settled concealer or foundation, take a tiny drop of a silicone/dimethicone based primer and gently massage it over the area to make the product creamy again and work it back to being smooth.

If you still have trouble with your concealer caking, try an undereye primer or dabbing a bit more of your foundation primer on that area and use a buffing concealer brush rather than a flat one and "buff" the concealer to a smooth consistancy rather than just patting it on.

jellymonster

(0) Hearts

You should try Givenchy's Mister Mat, and Smashbox Oil Free primer! 

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I personally used the Clarins smooth perfecting touch and hated it I have oily skin and it seemed like I had put nothing on at all, I suggest the KAT Von D  rehab elixir , and I used the Hourglass in the past and changed because my makeup began creasing and just looked awful. Hope this helps!

bananachoox3

I agree with dianabt and lylysa here. Hourglass primer will create the perfect smooth canvas to work with but won't help with the control of oil. I like Benefit's Porefessional or Givenchy Mister Mat. I have both of them and I like to switch between these two. Although I don't apply these to my whole face, only the parts where I'm oily. 

lylysa

Good point to bring up, Bananachoo! To Jyces, Porefessional can be used as a targetting product or as an all over face primer, that way you can still work with primers that you do have paired with it!

dianabt

Hi Jyces, 

I've tried the Clarins Instant Smooth and coming from someone who also has the same combination skin with oily t-zone, you may want something a bit stronger. I personally like the smoothing feeling of the silicone/dimethicone products that lylysa explained to you, they make my makeup look and feel a lot smoother and help to block oil and extra shininess from coming through. I'd try a mattifying one or one that helps to reduce oil and shine like the Urban Decay Pore Perfecting Complexion Primer Potion or the Givenchy Mister Mat which can be layered underneath makeup as a primer and also on top for a smoother and matter finish:

Pore Perfecting Complexion Primer Potion

http://bit.ly/WC9dNB

Givenchy - Mister Mat Mattifying Foundation Primer

http://bit.ly/YGu0mj

Another item I like to add to keep my makeup in place is a light makeup setting spray that helps makeup stay on longer and prevent creasing or oiliness from becoming too prevalent.

Kat Von D Lock N Load Setting Spray

Kat Von D - Lock 'N Load Makeup Setting Mist

http://bit.ly/10M5uS9

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
lylysa

For oily/combination skin, there are at least two options you can go in the primer world.

One, you can choose a silicone/dimethicone based primer that has the silky texture and slick feel as it forms the best barrier over your skin and prevents oil from seeping through.

Or two, you can choose a water based primer that feels weightless on your skin and can actually penetrate through oil.

If you prefer a S/D primer, try looking into mattifying ones like Givenchy's Mister Mat or Benefit's Porefessional (which can also be tapped over make up to absorb shine throughout the day without caking on more powder or using blotting sheets).

If you prefer a water based primer because your skin may be more sensitive or you want to avoid S/D all together, try Lorac's Aqua Prime or Stila's One Step.

latinadiva

(0) Hearts

would this concept work the same for eyes? i have the most oily lids on the planet. i've tried tons of things and nothing has worked. i try to look for primers that don't have dimethicone/silicone because i find that is only adding to my oiliness and to date nothing with dimethicone has worked for a lengthy period of time (i used to get fully through a primer and have it work fine and when i repurchased it, it suddenly wouldn't work and now nothing does) but have i gone about it the wrong way in staying away from dimethicone? 

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

@latinadiva- Laura Mercier has an eye primer called Eye Canvas you should check that out. Hope this helps!

latinadiva

I'll have to check that out! I've seen it several times but it reminds me of MAC's Paint Pot in Painterly which doesn't work for me so I always shy away from it, but I'm always tempted because it is more tacky which I feel would help. Have you personally tried it??

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 9 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • mangosong
    • jellymonster
    • dianabt
    • jennypenny1995
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler