MintShake

Points=Dollars

[ Edited ]

Ok,this may not seem to make sense, but I'll try the best I can. We all know that you get one "beauty" point for every dollar you spend. Say you spend 100 dollars and that would equal one hundred points, but why would you only get a sample, or a mini size of a product? I think that's not fair. I think that you should get a full size of a product for the amount it would cost to buy it, like the full size Urban Decay Primer is 20 dollars so it should equal 20 points rather than 100 points= 100 hundred dollars technically. Do you agree?

garnett

Re: Points=Dollars

As much as I enjoy shopping at Sephora, I have to agree with you when it comes to the perks.  I shop at Ulta for my shampoo, styling products, and some cosmetics.  The last two reward cycles I earned $40 towards a fragrance purchase.  So, if the bottle I wanted was $40 or less, it was free.  If more, I just have to pay the difference.  That's a reward I really like!   If I don't want a fragrance for myself, I purchase a gift.  It's a serious savings.  I haven't seen a really good 500 point perk from Sephora in a long time.  Samples are a good way to try a product but if skincare samples  aren't big enough you really don't know how effective they can be.  I hope Sephora is listening because I would really like to see the customer appreciation get a little more serious.

islandqt

Do you guys remember a couple Christmases ago when they were giving out larger size samples for the 100 points? I got a full ounce of the Peter Thomas Roth cleanser which I must say lasted me a while and really turned me on to his products. In fact I ended up buying a full size. To me, even though the product wasn't exactly worth 100 I felt better about it because I was getting much more product than usual.

My point is that I understand that they don't want to give full size BUT giving out teeny-tiny amounts is not a fair compromise. I believe a middle ground can be found somewhere.

I can sort of accept that you can't give me the full 1oz. of the Benetint but how about 0.5oz - 0.75? That would be nice...

I will say though that when the points are for Sephora brand stuff the amount you get is much better.

MintShake

Really? I would rather push for a full size, if anything. I mean, to spend a hundred bucks at least, and to get less than what you paid for literally isn't fair. I mean like they could give out a small size of a perfume but not a tiny size. 

mkupgk

umm.. You purchased 100$ worth of product but the rest are just bonuses that sephora give.  You don't just get a full size of an item b/c you purchased something.  

MintShake

(0) Hearts

But the point being is that you're spending seious dollars for a product so I'd expect a "bigger" bonus

starletta8

Or, you could buy the same products somewhere that there is NO bonus (aka retail).

Any bonus > no bonus.  Sephora is certainly not going to do a buy one get one free situation, or put themselves in a money loss situation. 

That's part of the problem with shopping after the recession in general- customers have become accustomed to getting more for free, so now that retailers don't have to grovel for customer money, customers feel wronged in some way.

mafan

Of course, when you've spent $100, you've also bought $100 worth of product.  The rest is just a bonus.  I do agree, some bonuses are better than others.  I think that the size of some of the perks really relates to the cost of the full size item -- a Sephora item is going to be larger because the full size costs less. 

I look at it this way.  If I find something elsewhere that has a great sale/gift going and I am going to meet the minimum for the bonus elsewhere, I'll get it elsewhere.  My Clarins serum is quite expensive, and I'd rather buy it during a sale when they have a bonus that I want, and what you get really varies from store to store and time to time.

The nice part about Sephora is I get points on anything.  And I have found some point offers that I really like if I keep an eye on them.  I don't have to try to think of a second item to buy from one company, or wait when I'm out of something, or spend a minimum amount, etc. So if I want some makeup remover, a moisturizer and a makeup brush, I can get them in one order and get points for them.

Most places don't discount high end fragrances or makup at all.  So I really appreciate that a Sephora sale is on everything they sell.  I also really like some of their branded items.

Now, this doesn't mean that I don't wish for better perks sometimes.  Or that I'm ready to order and can't find any interesting offer codes.  Or that I don't get some things at other places because the offers are really nice.  But I know at other times I could order from those other places and get nothing, too.

I also really appreciate the service at the stores near me.  I know some people have horrible experiences, but I find the people in the stores near me very helpful and able to find me something from a range of different products.  I've been to department store counters where I've waited for 1/2 an hour to get helped and then just gotten attitude or had someone who really worked for another counter and tried to convince me to get their product instead.  If I need help, I'd rather have someone who works on salary, not on commission.

Now, I won't say no to nicer perks.  I thought some of the ones available in April (before they sold out) were quite good.

berniebeauty

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I'm glad you said this! I just got done with a show, and rehearsals weren't giving me extra time, so I know I'm late to the party, but while I was reading this all I could think of was what you said in you're first sentence.  If points were redeemed dollar for dollar it'd be like a buy one get one free offer... 

~We are all beautiful~

rainbow781

(0) Hearts

I agree good idea! The last point perk I got was a Urban Decay BB Cream, it was really tiny!

sephoralovex

[ Edited ]

Thats why I never use my points.. Of the 4 years I've been Sephora BI/VIB I have only used a 100 point perk once. Which was last year. It's like you're paying $100 but in point form for a deluxe sample. Or $500 for a 500 pt perk. But then again like someone said below, from a business standpoint it wouldnt make much sense to give away a full size... Either way, I dont spend my points so it's not a big deal. But if i see a really good 100 or 500 perk (rare) thats worth the points, i will use it.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I've noticed the hair care perks tend to be larger sizes. So I jump at the phyto and B&B perks whenever they pop up. 

sephoralovex

(0) Hearts

I've noticed that too. Much more better than the makeup sample sizes they offer

melxssa

(0) Hearts

This is such a good idea! i love sephora and refuse to shop anywhere else for make up, but their rewards system is SO unfair! They need to change is ASAP. 

katie1724

[ Edited ]

I totally get where you're coming from, but from a business standpoint, it doesn't really make much sense if they were to give away a $20 primer for $100 spent (100 points). I do agree that there should be different options, and it would certainly be nicer for customers, but they're a for-profit company and have to consider this first.

quenbee

On Tarte's website you can cash in 100 points for a deluxe sample or save up and cash in 500 points for $50 credit.  

mkupgk

100 points = 10$ giftcard

500= 50$

1000= 100$. 

i rather have this then percentage off b/c they have a lot of those going on

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I agree. I wish we could turn in points for gift cards or % off. Like every 500 points = a 15% off gift card. or 250 points = a $20 giftcard. 

Sephora also does 2x & 3x point promotions a few times a year, so our points don't exactly = the amount we spend. I save my points for really good perks. I have close to 3,000 points right now because I haven't liked any of the perks in a while. 

kissXmakeup

(0) Hearts

I've been shopping at Ulta a lot more recently due to stuff like this. They have a better rewards program and their samples online are awesome! A lot of brands send you gifts with your purchase and you are able to use a code online on top of that plus choose samples!

onomotopoeia9

(0) Hearts

Sephora's rewards system is stingy in comparison to Ulta, but they have the advantage of better quality products...

Of course, If Sephora would match Ulta's promos, they would get LOTS more business

sephoramusthave

I get what you mean. Some stores are better than others with point perks but other stores don't offer any perks. I've kinda stopped carrying about the points thing at Sephora--you have to spend wayyy too much money to *earn* a *sample* that Sephora gets for free.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 34 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • DTalksAll
    • islandqt
    • sephoramusthave
    • sephoralovex
    • berniebeauty