kenny

Packing makeup for travel

I'm going to New Jersey (and New York) in a couple weeks, I will be there for about a week and a half, yay! But I am terrible at packing my makeup, because I don't want to bring too much and have it take up to much room, but at the same time I want options. 

So I wanted to find out how others choose products and such for when they went traveling.

I already have basics like a buildable foundation, concealer, pressed powder for quick touchups, eyebrow pencil. Mostly I'm stuck on choosing products with shades, since I typically switch them up a bit. Maybe UD Naked palette, but it's not super compact and doesn't have other colors. 

I'm not completely opposed to buying other things to make it easier for travel :smileyhappy:

broadwaybarbie

Re: Packing makeup for travel

(0) Hearts

I have to travel to and from college every week after I visit home for the weekends and a product I absolutely LOVE for travel is the Too Faced Natural face palette and the Too Faced Romantic eye Palette! The face palette has everything you could need: Bronzer, highlighter, brightner, cream blush, powder blush, and concelear. The Romantic eye palette has a variety (but not too many that make it overwhelming) of eyeshadows to change up your look day to day. And both of these palettes fit comfortably into my mini caboodle case! :smileyhappy: 

Hope this helps :smileyhappy:

latinadiva

i think travel for me is the times that i love all in one palettes. think too faced on the go palettes, that it has 8 shadows, and then either bronzers/blush/highlight etc depending on which you get. But just anything compact like that I love for travel.

swfupload_2632451962144200274.jpg

Or of recent you could think UD Naked Basics and UD Naked Flushed, both are small and pack a lot of your makeup together. I think the biggest suggestion though is products that can double up....so a stain that is good for lips and cheeks, or (if you can get away with it because i can't) using concealer as an eye primer, or if my face is doing well i just do concealer and powder and skip the foundation all together, being strategic about your colors (maybe a palette with deeper colors to double as liners, or a blush thats of a color to be both a contour or blush depending on placement). and it is definitely when i pull out deluxe sample EVERYTHING!

kenny

(0) Hearts

That TF palette is adorable, I saw it at the store and it looked great, the only thing is that I hate when lip gloss/ color is in a palette so close to powders, it makes such a mess!

latinadiva

yeah i've definitely read reviews that the lipgloss gets messy...but if i'm being honest i've also read reviews that the lipgloss isn't a natural, wearable color so i guess if you look at it that way it isn't a huge loss. there's also this tarte amazon escape palette. it is definitely larger (probably the size of a small clutch) but it has 6 shadows, ranging from highlight to deep that you could double as a liner, and two blushes, and exposed being in the palette was a perk for me in and of itself, but which i travel, i use exposed as a contour to save space.swfupload_3662658874273469247.jpg

kenny

(0) Hearts

Actually, that palette looks great, might have to check that one out...

melde

When I travel, I love using trial size products, too! (I know someone already mentioned this.)

I also try to keep my makeup routine light (because I prefer to travel light) and I just pack my essentials and a few extras (unless I'm headed to a wedding or something).

I think this is also a good time to utilize drug store makeup, because that way if things get ruined (lost, bumped around and broken, spilled on, etc.) you won't be as sad.

katie1724

It sounds as if you have covered the essentials! In addition to my skincare staples and cosmetic basics, I always make sure to have a darker eyeshadow (actually, like Lylysa suggested, it's usually a deep plum (Burberry Midnight Plum), in additon to a dark brown (Burberry Dark Sable)) and a more dramatic lipstick in case I go out (usually red or a deeper berry that I wouldn't wear during the day -- my favorites are NARS Heat Wave and MAC Lady Bug). If you have a smaller eyeshadow palette, that could be a good idea, too, if you think the Naked palette might take up too much room.

Other than that, I really just try to minimize as much as possible; in the past, I have really overpacked makeup, and then there are too many choices (not to mention that it takes up more room!).

Good luck with your packing and have a great time! :smileyhappy:

kenny

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the suggestions. I have Smashbox eyeshadow in Cabernet, I think I'll take, plus the packaging isn't too large! 

That's what I was thinking about the Naked palette, it's just a little too large!

Candy357

I tend to pick colors that go with everything. And your usual daily make up and I keep it with me in a big carry on bag. It is so much easier.

MoreGun89

Are you driving or flying?  I have a tendency to travel a lot so I have a consolidated ready to go bag.  I have to say that some of my travel items differ from my usual routine mostly for convenience (ex: I'm gonna try the Fresh Umbrian Clay Face Treatment to replace my cleanser and toner and I have a set of these in old deluxe samples).  That and to go sample containers for sure!  Shadewise I tend to go for versatility and I try to match my outfits :smileytongue:

kenny

(0) Hearts

I guess I should have mentioned that, I'm flying! I'm definitely going to have to see what samples I might have kicking around!

drrragon

[ Edited ]

ooh, one of my favorite topics!  I travel a lot for work so I've had tons of fun over the last few years trying to develop the PERFECT travel system for my makeup.  But I won't bore you with all the details.  Just two words, my dear kenny, "custom palettes".

Unii or Z-Palette seem to be the favorites.  I went with Trish McEvoy because I have a thing for miniature things and hers come in various sizes.

Here's a tiny double-decker magnetic compact with little pots of Benefit Boooing concealer, Urban Decay Afterglow cheek tint, and a cake liner from Yaby.  In the second layer underneath I currently have a brow powder.

20130130_182241.jpg

This one has my foundation (Maybelline), bronzer, coral blush, and rosy blush (from Trish McEvoy)

20130130_182102.jpg

Eyeshadows are a lot harder, since as you said you want to make sure to have a variety of shades for day, night, work, bar, whatever situation might come up during your trip.  I actually am a hawk about Lancome GWP events so I have 3 of their mini eyeshadow quads in brown, purple, and blues.  Another travel favorite of mine is Stila's eye trio in Ethereal....my absolute fave for years.

stila.jpg

kenny

Thanks! That's a really great idea! Not only for this trip, but the summer too! I travel a lot in the summer and having prepared, customized palettes is going to be very helpful!

Is that the tin your foundation came in, or did you place it in there, so it fits perfect?

drrragon

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi Kenny, the tin originally held a cream foundation from Trish McEvoy (which I thought was just terrible).  It was pretty easy to clean it out and put in my own favorite cream foundation.  I did heat it up a bit so the foundation would melt into the tin.  Trish sells square eyeshadows too, so any two of her eyeshadows is the same size as a single blush.  But the color range isn't that great to me so I prefer to go with other brands that I like better.  I like the blushes though.

If I didn't already have a lifetime supply of eyeshadows, I would want to put together a nice palette from Yaby Cosmetics.  They sell really smooth, pigmented shadows in all sorts of great shades in those tiny round pans, and they're only $3-4 each.

kenny

(0) Hearts

Yeah, I guess a cream product would be relatively easy to clean out. I'm definitely going to look into these!

drrragon

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

ooh, if you look into Trish, her makeup organizers are to die for!  I love being able to fit *everything* into a single organizer.  I think the most ingenious part of the design is the double-row of brush holders.  But that's just me. :smileyhappy:  I hate rummaging in a brush bag.  Let me know how your quest for the perfect travel kit goes!  I just have so much fun with the whole idea.

katie1724

I've never made any custom palettes, but what a great idea! :smileyhappy:

lylysa

Another thing that works super well as palettes if you're in a bind and can't purchase premade ones, use old DVD cases or the larger plastic CD cases! Hot glue or use magnets to attach pans of product and you can get the cases super cheap at used book stores/video stores to where you don't even have to worry about what movie you're getting, you're just paying for the case.

kenny

That's a good plan, I'm definitely going to check that out!

latinadiva

I have done that! Ages ago I got a palette from Ulta that I loved the colors but it was just so obnixously huge and it had to go, so I took everything out and glued it into a cd case. I'll be honest, there was definitely minor cracking in the shadows, but nothing totally fell apart.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 28 replies
  • 32 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • kenny
    • drrragon
    • lylysa
    • latinadiva
    • MoreGun89