lPinkAllurel

PRODUCTS YOU REGRET BUYING

Hey Beauties ! I was just here thinking and browsing the Sephora site along with my collection and it made me think about some stuff that just wasn't worth all the hype or wasn't all that . Most recently for me it has been the Benefit There Real Push up liner, it just wasn't a good consistency in my opinion and i totally could have done without it but anyway i thought i would start the discussion of what products have you purchased that wasn't worth the hype or you regret getting

killerteeth

Re: PRODUCTS YOU REGRET BUYING

(0) Hearts

Your skin looks great and congrats on finding something that worked! Spironlactone alone didn't do it for me, so I had to end up using it in combination with Accutane but it's working! Yay for clear skin!

MK89

(0) Hearts

I regret buying Lollibalm from Benefit. I was so excited for it but it hardly shows up on my lips AT ALL. I get that it's sheer but it's useless to me, just like a clear balm practically. I also regret random impulse drugstore purchases like the NYX Revenge palette, one of the Wet n Wild Fergie mini palettes and the ELF Little Mermaid one. They're cute but just never get used, especially because I'm now hooked on mid and high end quality shadows

septellis

(0) Hearts

UD Naked 3 palette - I wanted to love this, and it's pretty in the box, but just doesn't work with my skin tone/eye color. 

Benefit Pushup liner - made my eyes itch

Mary Kay face cleanser/lotion/lip balm/luminous foundation/blush/eyeshadow - I recently had a baby and my skin became ridiculously dry this winter (normally oily). Got sucked into a sales rep's testimony as I was desperate for remedy. None of it worked. I felt greasy from the petroleum that was in the products, felt parched ands till had flakes. Thank goodness Caudalie and simple oil cleansing brought my skin back. The foundation was too pale (she suggested this was the right shade for me) and faded quickly. I wound up giving it all away to my mom as I didn't have the heart to throw away hundreds of dollars in the trash (rather it get used even if not me). The blush is just not worth the money. Drugstore brands have done way better. The eye shadows are ok, just not pigmented. 

Most lipsticks/glosses - I'm a sucker for pretty but always forget to put color on my lips. I'm too low key to keep reapplying too. 

jords

[ Edited ]

Fresh Creme Ancienne. When I turned 40 my skin changed overnight from combo oily to dry (this is not an exaggeration, it was that fast) and thought based on the reviews I'd bite the bullet and go for this highly touted "miracle cream".

Despite high hopes, and a good experience with other Fresh products, this one for me was a dud. A $280 dud at that. 

I then tried La Mer, and their "miracle broth" cream. I had a serious reaction and had to toss the bottle. Another mega expensive and highly touted dud.  I started thinking turning 40 was going to leave me penniless and cynical!

finally switched over to Lancome's Revive line, which is far less expensive and had great results. 

My lesson: GET SAMPLES.

rydia

(0) Hearts

Rimmel Stay Matte powder and Cetaphil DermaControl daily moisturizer. So many people rave about how they are the best for combating oil, but they do nothing at all for me! Actually, I think the moisturizer makes my skin greasier. I can't wait until I use them up so I can move on to better products!

lPinkAllurel

(0) Hearts

Oh thats shocking , cetaphil usually makes a pretty good product ! Good to know to avoid that one ! 

Crimsonsketch

(0) Hearts

OCC Lip Tars. (I just don't seem to like anything about them)

MAC Holiday Eye palette in Warm  (I prefer cooler shades, so this was just a dumb purchase on my part)

UD triple liner set (Impulse buy, and I already have more eyeliner than I know what to do with, and least are my least favourites)

Lash Stash holiday set is a "sort of regret".  It was expensive and there were only a couple of products in the set that I really enjoyed.  I also kept getting mascara samplers in point perks, birthday gifts and beauty deals so I ended up with way too many tubes of mascara and realized I never needed to buy the kit.  I ended up having to give a few rubes away.

killerteeth

(0) Hearts

Oh man, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who isn't really a fan of lip tars. I have one that is AMAZING that was a perk for an indiegogo campaign, and three that are kind of a waste. Still desperate to try to make them work though :smileysad:

laynebr

NUDE anything! I know people rave about it and everyone seems to love everything from them but it gave me the worst breakouts and also made my eyes water all night :smileysad: I loved the glow it gave me but not the breakouts after that.

roxystar4

Sephora baked eyeshadows :/

starsandbucks

MAC Penultimate Liquid Liner! It burst and spilled all over my hands, shirt and vanity and was impossible to clean up. I was SO mad and will never buy another MAC eyeliner again! It took days to get eyeliner out from under my fingernails and completely ruined my shirt. $19 eyeliner ended up costing me probably $75. Still super bitter about it.

lPinkAllurel

(0) Hearts

I would still be bitter too 

Zpsid91

(0) Hearts

That is terrible! I would be upset too!

H216

Another regret was Aveda's makeup remover. It is just too gentle and doesn't do a good job at all to remove eye makeup. I am still using it but I hate removing eye makeup because i have to use multiple cotton balls or rounds and hold it up to my eye for a long time to get 'some' of the makeup off. And this include regular, non-waterproof mascara. Waterproof mascara? Then I just reach for Neutragena makeup remover- which I also don't like but a friend convinced me to buy it. It burns my eyes (but does take the makeup off). I can't wait until I'm done with one of these so I can get a better eye makeup remover.

DiVWA

Hey, just a suggestion. Try using that makeup remover for when you make mistakes and for general under-eye cleanup of glitter and shadow fallout. I had a bottle of Bobbi Brown eye makeup remover that I found ineffective for my long-wear eye makeup but is perfect for this. In fact, I just bought my second bottle of it. It leaves no oily residue and is gentle. It's worth it just for the cleanup; I use a different remover for taking off my eye makeup at the end of the day.

H216

Actually that just might be a great idea! Thanks! 

jobro1027

Diorskin Airflash - not only did I have to use about a sixth of the container to cover my face, I picked out the wrong shade. :smileysad:

jemly

[ Edited ]

my regrets are almost always in the realm of lipsticks. and i'm horrible about returning. it usually is a problem with realizing too-long-after-the-fact that a color does NOT look good on me after all, or an issue with the consistency/finish. when it comes to lips, i don't like anything too glossy (i'll always go for matte if it's an option) and sometimes i disregard this preference if i like a color a lot (why do i do this ?!!! i know better !!!). only to end up never wearing it because of the shine factor (marc jacobs gel lipstick i'm looking at you). 

when it comes to skincare and foundation, i am much better at figuring out what works for me before i purchase. i'm a much more conscious shopper. need this awareness to bleed over into my lipwear world. granted, this took YEARS of trial and error. figuring out i have no pink undertone was the first step in drastically reducing my "regrettable purchases". then learning that oil on face is not bad, learning the difference between dry and dehydrated skin, etc. 

MintyLotus

(0) Hearts

Sometimes blotting the lipstick a bit will help remove some of the gloss. I, too, hate too-shiny lips on myself.

sp2001

(0) Hearts

try the "napkin and powder" trick on glossy lipsticks that you don't like the gloss on. Works like a charm. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 83 replies
  • 71 hearts
  • 36 in conversation
    • killerteeth
    • jords
    • roxystar4
    • septellis
    • MysticalAngel
    • Crimsonsketch