cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

THE PAT McGRATH THREAD

~ Updated Sept 26th 2019 ~

Since the brand is coming to Sephora. I thought I'd start a thread just for the brand for news and info. 

Brand page: https://www.sephora.com/pat-mcgrath-labs

NEW PRODUCTS

Blitz Astral Quad Eyeshadow Palette

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/blitz-astral-quad-P451138

Obsessive Opulence: MatteTrance Lipstick

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/obsessive-opulence-mattetrance-lipstick-P451132

Mothership VI Eyeshadow Palette - Midnight Sun

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/mothership-vi-eyeshadow-palette-midnight-sun-P449790

Eye Ecstasy: Eye Shadow Palette Mini

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/eye-ecstasy-eye-shadow-palette-P448447

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Foundation

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfection-foundation-P447519

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Primer

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfecting-primer-P447764

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Setting Powder

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-setting-powder-P447770

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Foundation Brush

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfection-foundation-brush-P448622

Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Powder Brush

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/skin-fetish-sublime-perfection-powder-brush-P448623

Mothership VI Eyeshadow Palette - Midnight Sun

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.27.56 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.28.04 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-05 at 8.28.15 AM.png

Re: PAT McGRATH LABS

I wish I knew.  I kind of hope not since I already have it, and I want more new things from her. Can't get enough.

Ok I got my golden kit today and omg it's beautiful.  I find that wearing the pigment on it's own as a highlighter looks kind of sparkly, but when I layer it over the balm, it looks perfect and like a fresh glow! Even my mom saw and was like OOO nice! I think the golden is more natural where the nude is not, however both are beautiful and I am 100% happy I got both!

Golden swatches

i0405161mage.jpeg

And wearing golden

i0405162mage.jpeg

Love how it looks on you! Love how gorgeous gold looks on your olive skin!!!! I got the gold kit too, but my skin is pretty light.. Hopefully it doesnt look too crazy tomorrow, when I get to play with it.

Hmmmmm now I wonder if I made a mistake buying this. It's looks very pretty on you Mocha, but for my pale skin I dunno....

I'm very fair, @niki172, and I've really liked both kits! I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference. The pigment in the nude kit won't really ever pass as natural, but if you use a really light touch I've found it super flattering (and a slightly heavier application for dramatic looks). The gold's pigment is a little more natural and I've really enjoyed pairing it with some of the summer stuff I've gotten that has little gold shimmery particles. It's a nice way to bring a look together - it just looks a little warmer, but not unnatural.

I think it'll really end up depending on what you want out of it and how you use it, but I wouldn't worry too much yet!

Ok, it's very pretty on you.  But I still like and don't love this product.  A little metallic for my personal taste. And the colors are just a little too showy.  Not that they aren't pretty and well made, as they are. Just not a love.

But it's very pretty on you!

This looks gorgeous on you! You look quite olive and I think the gold suits that! I'm also olive but more pale than you (I think we talked about this before, I forget what I do sometimes) so I'm hoping this looks equally as lovely on me!

Thank you @sabrinas!

I am really liking the gold stick and pigment (and am very olive ;)) 

I think it will look great on you, too!

I'm still on the fence about the pink pigment.  On my current skintone it comes off sort of fuchsia, so I might put it away to try again later this summer when I'm a bit darker.

Possible dupe alert: I finally opened my Nude set and the pigment looks a whole lot like Monster from Colourpop.  I will try to get a photo that reflects the similarities but I get the feeling it will be tough to capture. They have a similar pink iridescence.  I would say the PM has a bit more red in it and is somehow more metallic and sheer.  

*Note: this is just from hand swatching.  Not sure how they compare on da face.

I think someone did a comparison swatch of those a couple pages back

That was me! They are similar but Monster has a white base where Nude has a transparent base.  Also Monster is a bit thicker, and Nude is a bit more purpley and a LOT more reflective.

Oh I totally missed it @Sabrinas, sorry!  I agree with everything you said lol!

I've had some time to play with Skinfetish, and I'm ready to share some thoughts.

Firstly, I'd like to note that PM's customer service is top notch.  Even though I didn't get a call ahead of time like @veronika23 - when my items were delivered yesterday I was levied $35 in duties.  I reached out to PM to voice my displeasure, and noted that previous releases I'd purchased not only included shipping in the item cost, but also did not have duties attached.  That, on top of the fact that these weren't even being made available on Sephora Canada, left me a very unhappy customer.  With exchange rate, the $25US shipping charge and duties, 2 kits came out to $250CA. :S  PM was quick to offer a refund on my shipping charge and the duties, which was greatly appreciated and a classy move.

On to the kits, though!

I ordered Nude for myself and Golden for a girlfriend who is just getting into makeup.  She thought Nude would be too unnatural and pink for her, and I thought I had enough gold highlights already.  😛

I tried Nude yesterday and my favorite part was the balm.  It gives such a subtle gloss finish to the skin.  The pink pigment was also pretty, but very flashy (as in obvious) against my skintone.  As I discussed below, it is a color (not texture) dupe of the white shade in TF Ripe Plum shadow duo.  I didn't care for the stick highlighter shade in the Nude kit, as on my skintone it came off a little light and ashy.

I brought my friend her Golden kit yesterday and she found the gold pigment too much (as I mentioned, she is still new to makeup, so a lot of things are too much)  She  was not a fan of it at all, so she ended up giving the Golden pigment back to me.  As I was not a fan of the Nude highlighter stick (but she was), we also ended up switching sticks.  I definitely like the darker pigment in the Golden stick.

This afternoon I tried layering the Nude pigment with the Golden stick and I quite liked the finish on my skintone.  I agree with veronika23's assessment of the Golden kit as well; it has lots of pinprick shimmer that the Nude does not.  The Nude pigment reminds me of the type of sheen you see on a satin ribbon, while the Golden pigment is more like the glimmer of stars in the night sky.  

TL;DR - I'm happy with the franken-kit I have.  The quality of the products compares to the previous PM items I have purchased.  

UPDATE 2

So my skin is a big mess right now and extremely dry… no product will look good on it. So anyway to continue… The balms are nice but very subtle if you wear that product alone. It does look good with or without foundation but for me it’s a barely there glow. Which is fine if that’s what you like. Once you apply the pigment on top you can see the highlight way more (depending on how much you apply as well). That’s what I prefer. This might be a bit hard to explain but I feel the nude is more of an iridescent shift while the gold is more tiny specs of glitter reflecting the light. Both pigment might be made the same way but that’s how I see them. Maybe glitter is the wrong word… it’s little specs of gold that you can see catching the light and also somewhat reflecting a shift while the nude only seems to have that shift. It also depends how it catches the light. It is beautiful I am just trying to describe it as best as I can.

Someone did mention earlier in the thread that the brush has a chemical smell. It does. I personally can’t stand it and it’s the whole brush. I’ve washed it a few times and I can still smell it. I don’t think I’ll be using it since I am sensitive to scents and this is one I can’t handle. I’ll try and washing it again and maybe leaving it in a back full of baking soda to absorb that scent. I expect this from cheaper brands and not Pat McGrath and not at the price point of the kit. I did let the company know. If any of you notice it as well I suggest reaching out so the company take really take note of it.

I’ve been playing around a lot with just the pigments and I thought I’d share some of what I call my experiments with it lol. I figure I'd show another side/use for the pigments. I tried them over Viseart mattes shadows and it's real pretty. I just don't have any pics. You can do a lot of things with just the pigment IMO.

Sorry the pics aren't the best... tried to catch the shift as much as I could 😉

Left: Golden over NYX Milk

Right: Nude over NYX milk

PatMcWhite.jpg

Left: Golden over MUFE Aqua XL M-30 + a bit of NYX Milk

Right: Nude over MUFE Aqua XL M-92 + a bit of NYX Milk

PatMcColor.jpg

Golden over MUFE aqua cream in #2

PatMcGrey.jpg

Unicorn 😉

PatMcUnicorn.jpg

Great photos.  I'm sniffing my brush...and maybe it's me or maybe some brushes have and others don't...but I can't smell anything no matter how much I try.  I'll be curious to hear what others say.

Do I want the gold?

Thanks! Interesting about the brush. Glad you don't have that stinky scent to it 🙂

This would look lovely on the eyes...is it eye safe?

@annec322 I'm pretty sure I read it could be used anywhere.  Yup it says anywhere on face and body. That's why I've been playing with different things so much

That was me about the brush 😉  Even without the smell I could take or leave that brush - I found it kicked up more powder than I wanted it to when I used it.

I like your unicorn!! 

I thought so 😉 Just not sure enough to tag you in the post lol 😄  Thanks!

testing