Brandylynn111

New to Sephora...

Hi all, so I've been using makeup a long time, and I've always bought the less expensive items, NYX is probably the most luxurious makeup item I own but I want to change that and begin buying some higher end items to add to my already large collection. With that said what are the top five items I should look into picking up first? Thanks! 

lilyyy

Re: New to Sephora...

(0) Hearts

I can see why you would think that but L'Oreal is a conglomerate and owns several very different companies. This is all the brands that L'Oreal owns.

• Dermablend
• La Roche-Posay
• SkinCeuticals
• Vichy Laboratoires
• Biotherm
• The Body Shop
• Giorgio Armani Parfums and Cosmetics
• Kiehl's
• Lancôme
• Paloma Picasso
• Shu Uemura
• Victor et Rolf

Even the same factory can produce very different products. Rarely do factors ever produce limited products for only one brand.

gem5136

(0) Hearts

Don't worry about who owns whom. L'oreal also owns Urban Decay and YSL, trust me they all have different formulations and most run as "independent" under the L'oreal group. Many cosmetics companies have the same owners. Just try lots of brands and see what works best for you. 

allisonniemi

(0) Hearts

My top fine are probably a lot different than everybody elses, but the five products that I use DAILY and would definitely recommend are:

-The Clarisonic Mia

-Philosophy's Purity Made Simple face wash

-Benefit's Lemon Aid color correcting eyelid primer/concealer

-Too Faced 3-Way lash lining tool (my favorite eyeliner yet) 

-Shashbox blue eyes eyeshadow pallet. (even if you don't have blue eyes, it is just a pallet with neutral colors, I compared it to both the Naked and Naked 2 pallet and considered that I would use these 6 colors more than I would use the 10 or so that come in those pallets.)

Brandylynn111

(0) Hearts

I got the Philosophy's hope in a jar one year for Christmas and loved it but had no idea where it came from! I didn't know they sold Philosophy there, you just made my skincare day!

allisonniemi

(0) Hearts

I love Philosophy and I was going to order hope in a jar but it seems way to expensive.  If you're happy with it though, I may have to do some more looking into it! 

lilyyy

(0) Hearts

Welcome to Sephora!

#1 rule is you can test and sample EVERYTHING at the store--it's amazing!

#2 is that Sephora has a great return policy so don't worry about buying a product. If it doesn't work, they will take it back.

#3 FREE SAMPLES! Just ask any associate.

allisonniemi

(0) Hearts

I always forget to offer samples when I'm at the store!  Sad. :/

Brandylynn111

(0) Hearts

Free samples would be amazing!!!! I've been to Macy's and Belk before asking for samples and before they would do so I had to fill out credit card forms! I'm like yeah this is making me want to buy things here lol 

lilyyy

(0) Hearts

Sephora doesn't even offer a credit card--so no forms will be push on you. Warning though, the more samples you get, the more you will buy, buy, buy! Pretty soon we'll see you over at the VIB Rouge board.

Brandylynn111

(0) Hearts

Well to keep my beauty addiction to a not breaking my bank level i'm gonna take it slow...oh who am I kidding lol I'll take a loan out...jk I'm glad they offer samples so it'll give me a chance to experiment. Are they like tiny travel size or a pretty good amount?

lilyyy

They usually come into little plastic pots, similar to MAC samples. If it's something like eye cream, the sample lasts forever. If it's a face mask, they usually give you enough to try it a few times.

calamityjane85

1. Smashbox cc cream 

2. Toofaced brushes and any of their palettes. 

3. Laura mercier eyeshadow

4. Ysl gloss

5. Too faced better than sex mascara

Just the first things that popped in my head, but obviously they are good enough for me to pick ------because that's a hard thing to ask!! 

Brandylynn111

(0) Hearts

I hope to turn into a high end makeup junkie soon then because I'm gonna start cosmetology school after I get my degree in medical assisting lol

kariyava

(0) Hearts

For me, foundation is the #1 product I am willing to spend a lot of money on because it is important to get it right!  So I would recommend that you upgrade your foundation (or tinted moisturizer/cc or bb cream) first, then figure out what complimentary products (primer, finishing powder) works with that foundation.  Of course, what you should get really depends on your skin and what you like.

Brandylynn111

(0) Hearts

Any kind or brand in particular? I'll use liquid or mineral, either is fine

kariyava

(0) Hearts

Depends.  Do you like a matte finish or more dewy?  Full coverage or medium or sheer?

Brandylynn111

(0) Hearts

Matte usually but I'm open to try a dewy finish. I like full coverage as well.

kariyava

(0) Hearts

Then I would recommend Hourglass Immaculate (http://www.sephora.com/immaculate-liquid-powder-foundation-mattifying-oil-free-P301802?skuId=1340991... or Makeup Forever HD Foundation (http://www.sephora.com/hd-invisible-cover-foundation-P217905?skuId=1096908).  My favorite primer is Smashbox's color correcting primer in green, which color corrects redness and provides a nice, smooth, matte surface for your foundation (http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=SMASHBOX%20Photo%20Finish%20Color%20Correct...  

calamityjane85

(0) Hearts

+1 for hourglass!

ilovetopurplefy

Hi!!! Welcome!!! To start off your higher end collection, I recommend the LORAC Pro palette. It's a good palette to start off with because it has 8 mattes and 8 shimmers compared to the Urband Decay Naked palettes which each have 2-3 mattes and the rest are frosts. I do love my Naked palettes but I can do a lot more with the LORAC Pro since you have every single color you will need ranging for a day look to a nighttime look compared to the Naked palettes where you will most likely be adding other shadows to complete your makeup. The LORAC Pro is $42 for 16 shadows and a mini primer and each of the Naked palettes is $52 for 12 shadows, a brush, and a mini lipgloss or primer depending on which one you get. 

amberangeline

(0) Hearts

I second the vote for Lorac's Pro Palette! It's so versatile and gives you everything you need to create any kind of look. The texture of Lorac's shadows is really nice too- they are smooth and easy to blend out. You'll love it! 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 51 replies
  • 20 hearts
  • 24 in conversation
    • lissay
    • mberteig
    • spoiledbrat
    • marydiva
    • lilyyy
    • lylysa