plm95

Morning Routine

Good Afternoon everyone!
I'd like to make my morning routine more efficient as I am a student leading a busy life and I have to wake up early. Any advice on what I should do to keep my routine quick and simple? Also if you had any suggestions on which products i should splurge on and which products I should save on because it seems like there are so many different routes to take when choosing one specific product. I already have an under eye concealer and a moisturizer that I love! Thanks!

prosopon

Re: Morning Routine

(0) Hearts

One way I have learned to cut my prep time is alternating between face, body and hair.  For example:

1. Wrap hair in a towel and start getting dressed.

2. Put on face oil then finish getting dressed while product absorbs

3. Put on moisturizer then finish dealing with hair while product absorbs

4. Then finish my face.

I also like starletta8's suggestion of having stuff laid out ahead of time.  Usually I run out of time because of multiple changings.

I have to leave the house at a certain time or traffic is a nightmare, so I have a stash of small eyeshadow quad and mascara that I have at work in case I run out of time at home to apply these things.  (I can't drive and apply at the same time).

carolang

(0) Hearts

Ahh as a student I remember only really doing my eyes... the long almost 2 years ago it was. Now I work in a hospital very early in the morning so I like to be quick but effective without looking overdone. Special emphasis on overdone since my face is covered by a mask all day! I usually only have about 10 minutes to do my make-up in the morning.

-Start with a good moisturizer (I use Clinique DD gel formula)

-Never too young to start - I've been using Origins plantscriptions eye cream or Clinique all about eyes

-BB cream! I personally love the Tarte BB 12 hour primer for my oily skin... finally a liquid product that doesn't break down on me. Add concealer here if you want. I also use bare minerals loose foundation sometime - really great to just buff on and feels lightweight during the warmer months

-Depending on how sparse your eyebrows are, I quickly fill mine in with a pencil - nothing too noticeable/harsh

-Eye primer, quick wash of color on the lid, mascara on top and bottom lashes - I usually forgo the eyeliner since it looks more make up-y than I want to at the hospital but you may opt to. My personal faves are urban decay and bare minerals eye shadows.

-Splurge on... a 2-in-1 blush/bronzer color. Check out Nars Madly or Luster. Luster is more orange-based but I love Madly for my neutral medium-light skin. I take it on the outer edges of my face (the "3" bronzer shape) and under my cheekbones and it gives my face definition without looking too bronzed or too pink anywhere (Madly- seashell pink, luster - sheer golden apricot). This is also a great investment when you want to do a bold lip (red, berry) and don't know what color blush to pair it with. Gotta say once I started getting into make-up after I graduated, this is one of my favorite purchases for not looking "too done" which I feel can happen since I am younger.

-SPF lip balm, I like the EOS lemon one (the only version with SPF)... I never wore lipstick in college. Maybe a gloss or tinted balm... again I wouldn't look too done up/do things that require a lot of touching up.

Good luck! Also if you are walking to class definitely think about a BB cream or something with SPF. There are also great primers with SPF. I always make sure to wear one as I walk to a hospital on a student campus. Also I wear a hat as well just to be safe!

plm95

(0) Hearts

Really appreciate all of the feedback guys!! Thank you! Keep the ideas coming! (:

starletta8

The biggest timesaver I've found is to lay out my outfit, accessories, and entire makeup look the night before. I line up the products in the order that I need them.  Without any room for indecision, I cut my morning time by half.

As far as splurge vs save, one of the quickest ways to save is to buy palettes of eyeshadow vs singles. Yes, there's a higher up-front cost, but per item it's cheaper.  Also, invest in your staples (ie concealer, foundation, basic looks, skincare) and save on trendy colors and looks.

starletta8

(0) Hearts

morning_setup.jpg

This is an example of what I mean.  This is what I pulled for tomorrow morning (I'm lucky to have a dedicated 1/4 bath just for my makeup and hair stuff.  I'm not super strict- I do pull more than one option for most things depending on how I feel in the AM. Still, this is a lot shorter than digging through my stash every morning looking for one thing in particular.

prettyinpa

(0) Hearts

Great idea! Another way to save is to get your staples when Sephora or other makeup emporium is having a major sale. Most makeup doesn't deteriorate as long as it remains unopened, so you can get backups at a discount. (But resist the siren call of too much makeup, I think all of us here suffer from it)!

prettyinpa

(0) Hearts

Apply your concealer after you apply foundation, tinted moisturizer or BB cream, as sometimes you can get enough coverage by themselves. Speaking of BB or CC cream, they're a big timesaver as you don't necessarily have to use treatments plus tinted moisturizer, these are like TM with benefits. I like Smashbox BB cream as it comes in a wider range of shades than most, easier to get a good match. I keep my everyday makeup kit in a bag so I'm not reduced to hunting around for some missing item when I'm in a hurry. You can always swap out items at night when you have time, to get ready for the next day.

I splurge on eyeliner as I've found the cheap ones tend to migrate and give me raccoon eyes. Ditto with mascara. I don't necessarily buy the most expensive lipstick as they all disappear at about the same rate for me. I have some really expensive blushes (Hourglass, I'm looking at you!) and found that less expensive ones do the trick just as well, but the color range is more limited. I also splurge on skincare, since if my skin is behaving, I need less cover up. Plus, who wants to be messing with trying to cover up a zit!

poemelyric

I splurge on foundation because it's one of the most important parts of my beauty routine since I have hyperpigmentation from acne scars.  I also shortened my make up prep time by purchasing a couple of Multiples from NARS.  They can be used as blush, lipstick and eyeshadow so I can just throw it on when I'm in a hurry and look very put together.  I love mascara so I don't skimp on that but I'm sure that there are some out there at retail drug stores that work wonders.  So for foundation, splurge, for mascara, that's optional.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • prosopon
    • poemelyric
    • plm95
    • starletta8
    • carolang