Cheer14

Moisturizer/Primer Combo too much?

I recently bought CoverFX mattifying/anti-acne primer and I really like how matte my makeup looks all day long, but I have also noticed my skin getting dry/flaky in certain areas. I also use a moisturizer that has salicylic acid in it, do you think having both a moisturizer and primer with salicylic acid is a bad idea? Too drying/harsh? I am thinking about switching to Murad Skin perfection lotion, do you think that would work better?

mxcx

Re: Moisturizer/Primer Combo too much?

(0) Hearts

I think the combination of one salicylic treatment on top of another is drying out your skin because it has to adjust to the added strain. Honestly, I think that your moisturizer is probably more important with the salicylic because it doubles as a treatment and is closer to your skin, whereas the primer is supposed to sit on top of your skin and keep makeup on. If you like your current moisturizer, I'd maybe just stick with it and switch up your primer to something less harsh but still combats oiliness, especially if your main concern is oiliness and not acne. I really recommend the Hourglass Mineral Veil; it's really good at keeping skin mattified and doesn't contain any treatments or harsh ingredients. 

As for the Murad lotion.. I personally disliked it because I felt like it didn't moisturize at all and had a weird plastic-like scent to it. :\ 

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I would think using both would be too much because your getting double drying ingredients from your primer and moisturizer I would get a sample of the Murad Skin perfecting lotion to see how it works for you.

aviscardi

i don't think using both at the same time is a good idea. too much of it and depending on the % can dry your skin out. Sometimes when i use toner that has witch hazel or glycloic acid for too many days in a row, my nose gets dry so i go and use the hydrating toner the next day

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Personally I know that too much salicylic acid gives me dry/flaky skin. If your skin is ok with it then go for it, but if you are getting dry/flaky areas then maybe switch the primer or moisturizer. I heard good things about the Murad one but haven't tried it.

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • aviscardi
    • ChicDabbler
    • beautylovingirl
    • mxcx
    • Cheer14