ghkim

Mixing liquid foundation with loose powder

I have a friend who is a completely different complexion than me and I want to do her makeup for a night out. I have a sample of a couple shades of liquid foundation that will match her skin tone. However, I do not have a concealer for her. If I mix loose powder into the foundation, can I make it thicker and matte-er to make concealer? Alternatively, if the shade is a bit dark, can I mix in a little banana powder and make it slightly lighter? Anyone have any experience with this?

beautylovingirl

Re: Mixing liquid foundation with loose powder

(0) Hearts

No way you'll end up with a HUGE MESS!

melissabt

(0) Hearts

Hi Ghkim,

I wouldn't advise because, it will entirely change the consistency of the foundation and it will make it blotchy and uneven. Try tapping on the foundation with the brush for fuller coverage! 

<3 Melissa
DiorAnastasia

(0) Hearts

no, it should  not clump as long as you are blending properly

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

I had the opposite for my friend. i did her makeup a few times and also for her wedding, she is 2-3 shades darker than me. I used all of my own makeup-a foundation that i owned that was in  the same color range - yellow undertone to match her skin-- keeping the powder to set in the same range and use a bronzer to darken it up and not get ashy. She did not want her under eyes brighten so i just used a bit of fdn under to even out. 

is she lighter or darker than you. and what concealer do you own? i wouldn't mix loose powder with a liquid. you can however mix shades of liquid or your own concealer to get the right color for her. 

ghkim

(0) Hearts

she is way, way darker than me. i am mufe 118 - fair/asian - and she is around mufe 178-180 - very dark skinned african. i have an armani concealer in a couple shades and a KA sensual skin enhancer in 7. I also have lancome waterproof in clair. but all of these would be way off for her.

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

Hmm. yea idk honestly, i wouldn't try to build layers then since you don't have anything close. Sounds like you are better off picking up some samples that are her shade. If you have a fdn to match her then you can do that and double it as a concealer but im not sure about a powder 

DiorAnastasia

(0) Hearts

Layer the foundation. You said you had a couple of shades.... Use a lighter one first then allow it to dry and then continue using the correct shade and allow to dry. repeat that until you think it looks smooth and flawless.

ghkim

(0) Hearts

thanks - i'll probably try this! it won't clump up if i keep applying/drying?

mafan

(0) Hearts

I agree with the use foundation suggestion.  I have had more than one store Makeup Artist show me how to just pat a bit extra on an area to help conceal something.

Alternatively, if you don't want to buy something, can you stop by a store for a sample in the correct shade?  Then you'd be able to tell her what to get if it works out and she wants to use concealer more often.

janinebt

Hmm I would recommend just applying an extra coat of foundation rather than trying to mix in a powder, this could leave her skin looking bumpy.

Alternatively perhaps she can purchase a concealer (which she can have for her personal collection) or you can purchase a radiance pen which have a relatively broad color range. Dior, Clinique, and the Sephora Collection are just a few brands that offer concealing pens.

swfupload_6896954540221967700.jpgswfupload_4804075371158677972.jpgswfupload_2774109574301333203.jpg

Whimsically yours,
Janine
ghkim

(0) Hearts

ah yes, i could always buy something. but i was trying to avoid buying new products. i just want to do her face this weekend for a night out. but if it goes well, then i might invest in a real concealer as well as other prodcuts.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • aviscardi
    • melissabt
    • janinebt
    • mafan
    • beautylovingirl
    • ghkim