rdesigns

Mature Makeup: In-Store Makeup Service Disaster

[ Edited ]

I know better than to let anyone at Sephora do any makeup services on me, but I had a moment of weakness yesterday, and I let them do my eye makeup and apply false lashes.

I am 50 years old, and you just cannot put eye makeup on me like you would on an 18 or 25 year old.  I walked out of there looking like an aging circus clown, and I honestly looked freakish.  It made me feel so old, ugly, and depressed.  Also, the lighting in-store was so poor that I could not see the full result of just how freakish it was until I walked out into the sunlight.

I really wish that Sephora would be a little more sensitive to the needs of us older gals.  I doubt that will ever happen, because I see such a reluctance for them to even add a mature skin section to this forum even after several of us have requested it.

I am not even sure what I am expecting from posting this, but I just feel so awful and traumatized today.  The whole experience just left me feeling so badly about myself and aging :smileysad:  

rdesigns

Re: Mature Makeup: In-Store Makeup Service Disaster

I really do appreciate how supportive all of you are, and I also appreciate your suggestions and insights.  I am getting over my trauma (lol), and I am just going to try to look at this as an experiment that went wrong (circus clown wrong ha!).  It is hard being a bit older and trying to deal with makeup.  You awaken one day, and things just do not seem to work quite right anymore (at least that is the way it happened for me).  I hope to keep learning more and more about new products and techniques, and though I cannot do the more artistic looks anymore, I love seeing you younger gals post your beautiful photos :smileyhappy:

DrProducts

Yes, there are several issues afoot here: 1) inexperience/ lack of hearing of  the MUA; 2) the look you prefer for you at your age; and 3) the look others "think" one is supposed to have at 50something. As posters have noted, it seems to be a combo of 1 & 2 for you. And so far, these posters seem to be free of the "after 40 wear nothing but matte, matte, and more matte" attitude! Which is great if one agrees with that. I am not that one. For good or ill, I like glimmer, shimmer, and shine not related to the T-zone.  And that's not what comes up on "age-appropriate" searches, so I don't do them anymore.

I will say I am intimidated by the gorgeous eyes & eyelids possessed by so many who post shadow look demos & such. So smooth and perfect!  Whereas I have (thanks, Mom) some skin tags on my lids, and one or two right on where I put eye-liner. That'll mess your straight line up! That's when age isn't a number--it's age. Does kick off my inner 8th grader who was truly fugly. But good for you guys. Really.

LariTheLoud

I think you are absolutely gorgeous, especially with the natural look... and I hope that I can look half as good as you when I'm middle-aged! I already have hereditary super dark under eye circles that I struggle to conceal, so I cringe to think how they will look down the road!

Don't let an inexperienced MUA at Sephora bring you down. A good make-up artist should pay attention to what you like, ask lots of questions, and keep at it until the client is satisfied. Do you like to stick with neutral colors or are you looking for something a bit fun? Because if you want some nice matte colors that do have a pop of fun, I'd suggest taking a look at theBalm's Matte Nude eyeshadows... I just bought one of these palettes for my mother, because she loved 'edgy' and bright and was pretty punk when she was younger, but she no longer feels comfortable with shimmer or glitter shadows on her face.

There is a matte neutral eyeshadow palette that was JUST released by Paula's Choice. You can find it on her website store. It was created in partnership with Wayne Goss, and the early reviews I've seen for it are really, really positive. It's a pretty good price for the amount of shadow you receive in the palette, and I think it would be a beautiful choice for you to try out, if you really like your neutrals.

I hope you will be able to find the products that will make you feel beautiful and sexy. PS I really love the outfit you're wearing in the second photograph--are those leather pants?! Because ugh! Leather and lace! I want to rock that so badly!

rdesigns

Thank you for the suggestions about the Balm's palette and the Paula's Choice palette (love Wayne Goss).  I will definitely look into them.  I have more than a dozen eyeshadow palettes, some matte, and some not, and I am a bit of a palette-junkie :smileywink:  I also buy individual shadows. I am comfortable with a bit of shimmer, just not when it is layered to death because I do have issues with aging textural changes on my lids.  I have had really great experiences with a particular makeup artist (not Sephora) in the past, so I think I need to go back to her and ask her to help me update my technique.

LOL, yes those are leather pants.  I kind of have a style of my own regardless of my age, and I refuse to wear "old-lady" clothes.  I fortunately do not really care what others think about the way I dress because who are they to judge? They don't know me, and they really should just worry about themselves IMHO.  My mom wore hip clothes well into her late 70's, and she always looked great.  People would actually stop her and tell her that she was just so darn cute with her outfiits.  I can only hope that I will be able to pull it off like she always did :smileywink:

DTalksAll

You need to post pics of yourself more often, you are so beautiful! 

rdesigns

You are so sweet dannyc.  I was actually a bit terrified (lol) to post a pic on here because everyone is generally young and gorgeous and does such an awesome job with their makeup.  It is hard being older and so self-conscious!  

DTalksAll

Please don't stop posting pictures. Age is just a number, and women are beautiful at every age! From reading your posts, it sounds like you try to take good care of your skin & use products that are age appropriate and enhance your natural beauty. 

I think the main reason older women aren't on here is because they don't think to come to a beauty forum. Either they are embarrassed, don't have the time, &/or don't know it exists. The internet can be a scary place if you don't know where to go. So many women when they get older aren't makeup obsessed. They rather go to a beauty counter, be told what to use/buy & call it a day. The fact that you're on here sharing your advice & open to new ideas says a lot about who you are. 

Don't be discouraged about getting your makeup done. Next time you book an appointment, request someone who has experience with mature skin. I've seen women in their 60's rock an awesome smokey eye, but it's not the same kind you'd see on a 20 something. 

rdesigns

Hugs to you <3

I have been working with computers since the early 80's, before there was a public internet, but I understand that many women of my generation do not venture too far on the net and are not so keen about posting on forums.  I just wish more of them would. It would be so educational for us to be able to share our experiences.

Onceuponatime45

What eye lotion and face lotion are you using? What under eye concealer is your go to?

You look awesome and don't worry (sephora is a hit and miss sometimes). You take some tips depending on the person that is doing your make over. If the person is not trained as a make up artist, don't even sweat it (she probably just sucks at doing make up)

rdesigns

[ Edited ]

Thanks :smileywink: I use Shiseido Benefiance during the day, and Obaji Elastiderm at night for eye creams with the Clarisonic Opal (the Obaji cream is fantastic, but it does not play nice with eye makeup). I also use several eye masks during the week.  I can sometimes vary the skin cream I use depending on the condition of my skin on any particular day (peri-menopause woes), but I use Kate Somerville's Deep Tissue repair the most often on top of her Total Vitamin Antioxidant Face Serum or Skin Ceuticals CE Ferulic.   I don't really use a concealer.  I just put a little bit of MUFE HD powder under my eyes with my finger tip to help with mascara that sometimes flakes (it makes it easier to just brush the flakes off without tugging or rubbing at my skin).

malday

You are gorgeous! I have never gotten my makeup done at a Sephora (or any counters or other makeup stores) but it really bothers me to hear about employees always going overboard! They should really be more knowledgable and considerate when it comes to doing all types of makeup on different people. I'm no makeup artist but when I do my mom's makeup I always make sure to make her look naturally beautiful (which she is) and not just slap a whole bunch of bright and heavy products on her. Don't let one silly SA/"MUA" get you down!

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Never, NEVER, be afraid to remove your makeup instore. The makeover is kind of a hit or miss with some MUA more attentive or opinionated than others. If you hate it and don't want to offend them, just say "that was fun. I'll come back for the products later, but for now I have an important engagement to attend and can't wear this there. Where are the makeup removers?" Most stores will carry Ren or Caudalie cleansing water, some spray toner and moisturizer you can "test" and don't be afraid to "try on" other makeup that you currently use are interested in, so you can walk out of the store as good as new. =)

As for aging, well, I also feel sad when I see white hair and wrinkles on my mom. I know that no matter what I buy, no one will mistaken us for sisters again (until I get to be 60 or 70 maybe). Right now, my goal is to make sure she is healthy, happy, and look the best she can or at least better than other people her age, ha! at her age. I mean, sure, probably no one's gonna mistaken you for a 20yr old again, but you can be one of those good looking older ladies that other woman/girls/ladies admire and look up to. =)

rdesigns

Once again, thank you to all of you lovely ladies for talking me off the ledge :smileywink:  I just never thought getting a makeup service done would reduce me to tears and leave me so depressed. I literally sat and cried last night because it made me feel so bad.  I am definitely not going back and having that done ever again!  

love2shop42

Please do not let the incompetence of a Sephora makeup "artist" (I use that term loosely) make you feel bad about yourself. Your pictures are lovely and you are more of an expert in application than she could ever be. Hang in there sweetie and know that you are beautiful!

lecia1167

Love2shop42, you are so right. They're not professional makeup artists.

anaa

Please don't feel bad about yourself because of an incompetent salesperson.  I am 59 and actually feel better about my skin now than I ever did.  It was always super oily and is now finally normal and pretty much wrinkle free because of the previous oiliness.  I gave up being made up by "professionals" at makeup counters when I was in my late 20's.  The last time I allowed it was at a Lancôme counter, and as you noted I looked like a circus clown and couldn't wait to get out of there so I could go home and wash my face!  That was it for me.  When Sephora offered this as part of the Rouge program I was totally unappreciative because I knew I would never use the service.  I experiment with looks on my own, and I have a lot of fun with makeup and wear it every day.  Please don't let someone else ruin it for you and don't be traumatized by this. 

lecia1167

Every time I've had my makeup done at the MAC counter, I come away looking like a drag queen. I haven't had my whole face done at Sephora, but it can't hurt to tell whoever is doing your makeup that you want it to look natural. And you are so very pretty by the way!

jozkid

Lecia, you always make me laugh!

lecia1167

I am sooooo serious! Drag queen. Twice! Ugh!

jozkid

LOL!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 49 replies
  • 262 hearts
  • 24 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • DTalksAll
    • anaa