rdesigns

Mature Makeup: In-Store Makeup Service Disaster

[ Edited ]

I know better than to let anyone at Sephora do any makeup services on me, but I had a moment of weakness yesterday, and I let them do my eye makeup and apply false lashes.

I am 50 years old, and you just cannot put eye makeup on me like you would on an 18 or 25 year old.  I walked out of there looking like an aging circus clown, and I honestly looked freakish.  It made me feel so old, ugly, and depressed.  Also, the lighting in-store was so poor that I could not see the full result of just how freakish it was until I walked out into the sunlight.

I really wish that Sephora would be a little more sensitive to the needs of us older gals.  I doubt that will ever happen, because I see such a reluctance for them to even add a mature skin section to this forum even after several of us have requested it.

I am not even sure what I am expecting from posting this, but I just feel so awful and traumatized today.  The whole experience just left me feeling so badly about myself and aging :smileysad:  

rdesigns

Re: Mature Makeup: In-Store Makeup Service Disaster

This is what I generally do with makeup for an evening out (I realize it is a bit hard to tell with the photo), but I do like a bit more makeup for evening, and I do like a bit of an edgy look.  I am just so conflicted at this point as to what I can doconcert1s.jpg.

mafan

First, I'm going to say that I am 50 and I last had my makeup done at Sephora on my 50th birthday.  So it is possible to go in and have someone do makeup that you like and makes you feel good.

Second, I want to say that you look gorgeous. Don't let this experience make you feel any differently.

I think the problem here is a disconnect between what you are comfortable wearing and what you choose in the way of makeup, and what the SA decided to use on you.  I have always found that I've had the best success with having makeup done when I am clear on what I like/do not like.  (For me, I never let anyone put black eyeliner on me, ever, because I don't like it.)  You look like someone who doesn't wear shadow (or who wears something very neutral).  So I expect any amount of shimmer is going to look strange to you (which is not the same as looking strange on you).  And with your big, beautiful eyes, it's going to show up a lot more than on my partially hooded eyes with so much less lid to play with.

Your SA really needs training but not just specific to age.  She needed to understand the look that you like and what works with your eyes and your comfort level and with your features.  It sounds like what she did is totally different from what you choose for makeup.  That doesn't mean it would for certain look bad, if you wanted to try something different.  It would just take some getting used to.  But the big problem is that she didn't understand you and what you think is flattering for you, and I'm very sorry you had to have that experience.

Hang in there -- you're gorgeous!  If you do want to wear shadow I'd say try something neutral and with very little shimmer, because whatever you wear is going to show up a lot more on your eyes than mine.  (I am very jealous, btw.)

rdesigns

Thanks.  I actually am wearing a shimmer shadow in the photo, but it is very neutral and I blend with a matte shadow to mute it out a bit.  In store, they used MUFE 156 Genevieve lashes (they did not trim them to fit my eyes), and a TON of very shimmery shadows.  I told them I wanted something appropriate for my age and not too done up.  I am not afraid of makeup, I generally wear a bit more shadow than in the photo, but what was put on me really looked more like stage makeup than something I could wear during the day or even out for an evening.  

mafan

I always go in with a list of what I'm interested in trying, what I definitely don't want, etc.  And I make them show me what they're doing as I go along and change it if I don't like it.  (I can't imagine being spun around at the end like someone mentioned and seeing what they created.  I want a look that I can consider buying, not to be someone's art canvas!)

Shadow almost always shows up lighter in photos than it does in real life, so I can imagine that you have on more than can be seen.

I think I've had more conservative makeup artists, too.  One asked if mascara was okay!  I've got really blond eyelashes and if you put on shadow without mascara I think I just look strange.  Then again, I just can't handle the look of liner under my eyes and that's something I'd really have to work to get used to.

missey1973

I think you look wonderful in the picture posted. However, I do understand you disapointment with Sephora. I had one done while on vacation in Hawaii. The girl gave me neon cat eyes. I looked I should of been in Cirque Du Soleil.  I could not see what she was doing and when she swung me around to look at myself I could have fallen on the floor. The thing that made this even worse is the girl from Sephora was so proud of her work on me. I didnt know if I should cry or laught so I decided to laugh. I then  went down to Nordstroms and stopped at the first counter I saw which was Bobbi Brown (that was the first time useing her products) and I got the best make over ever. Now I lover her products.

rdesigns

Cirque du Soleil crossed my mind yesterday after I had my eyes done! lol!  Except it was a horribly gone wrong Cirque du Soleil!  Every time I have gone into Sephora and had someone put any kind of makeup on me, it always looks so horribly overdone even though I ask for a natural look.  The best makeup applications I have ever had done were by Valerie at Valerie Beverly Hills.  She really understands the changing needs that go with age, and I always feel great when I walk out of there.  I think I will just stick to that.

BeautyLove02

@rdesigns You are gorgeous! You look like you have very little makeup on in this picture and you look absolutely stunning!  You have way better skin than me. This shows that even beautiful people can have off days where they don't feel great about their appearance. I hope that didn't come off wrong, I meant it in the best way. I'm just surprised at how beautiful you are because from your description I thought you would look different.  <3

rdesigns

Thanks so much BeautyLove, you are very kind.  I guess less is more with makeup at my age.  I am wearing a little bit of Youngblood Pressed Mineral foundation, a little blush, a very neutral eyeshadow, mascara, and some eye liner on my lower lid (and some lipstick).  I would love to try some new things - like contouring and a different look for my eyes, but I am very hesitant because more makeup can often make someone my age look older if it is not done discreetly.

comfyrock

Oh, how I wish I could I could hug you right now!  Please don't let them make you doubt yourself.  

The SAs need to be trained specifically in different types of makeup for varying customer bases.  Nobody deserves this sort of trauma! 

rdesigns

Thanks gals. I really appreciate your words of support.  I just cannot believe that in trying to do something to make myself feel a bit better about myself (those of you who know me know that the last few months have been a bit difficult) that I ended up feeling so darn depressed instead.  I am no raving beauty, but I really do try to take care of my skin. All of this made me feel so hopeless about getting older.

I am going to be brave and post this. This is what I look like when I do my own makeup (ignore the hair - it was the shortest haircut of my life!).  Now imagine six colors of shimmery shadow on me, heavy eyeliner, overly defined brows, and false lashes that honestly looked like they were to be used in some Vaudeville act. I want to try new things, and enhance my eyes more, but I now feel so limited.    

rdesins50.jpg

emmaclaire

WOW, I pray I'll look that good at 50, but quite frankly I don't look that good right now at 25, so I doubt it'll happen in another 25 years lol.  You're absolutely gorgeous, and I'm so sorry the MUA made you feel so self-conscious and uncomfortable.  If you go back to the store, you should mention it to a manager - not in a "get those MUAs in trouble!" way, but because maybe there just isn't enough training for doing makeup for different ages and styles, and your suggestion might spark a manager to have the MUAs get that training!

leolion

Wow you look so cool, and you have a rockin bod in the other photo, too!  You are inspiring!!!  I like your makeup because it is more of a polished and natural look- nice job!

MysticalAngel

Rdesigns, you are gorgeous. You don't look a day over 40!!! I am sorry that this makeup artist screwed up your makeup. :smileysad:

Don't beat yourself over that person's mistake. Hope you're feeling better.

Sending lots of love your way! :heart: :heart: :heart:

HawaiianEyes7

rdesigns, you look gorgeous! I almost fell off my chair when I read that you're 50! You look amazing! I thought you were in your early 40s at the most. I can tell you've taken very good care of your skin! Your description of the makeup you had done at Sephora sounds like the girls I see every day at school (I'm in grade 11), and they actually think they look good! It ages them so much, some of them could pass for being in their 30s! Keep up your makeup routine, because you look amazing! 

joeanne

Oh wow, you look gorgeous, and if a makeup artist screwed that up, then obviously it was not an issue of your age or anything at all to do with you; it was an inexperienced makeup artist!

I'm 58, so I feel your pain when it comes to wanting to try new looks but not end up looking foolish! You do know that 50 is no longer considered anywhere near old, right? You are in great shape, your skin is perfect, and there is nothing about you that says old. In fact, everything about you says style, confident and cool!  So please just put that terrible experience behind you and chalk it up to a MUA who didn't know her/his craft, and take a look in the mirror!

As far as getting a good makeover at Sephora? I don't know...I haven't been brave enough to try one yet but I'd probably bring pictures of makeup looks that I like. Matte eyes, subtle neutral shades, definitely NO glitter or bright turquoise eye shadow!! But who knows, I might end up with your makeup artist!

makeupmaven

You're beautiful! And yes, your eyes seem to be the shape where you have your own natural shadow, so subtle definition would have been best. Sorry to hear that!

jozkid

OMG! You are totally smoking hot! Just look at you! I could never get away with that look and you make it rock! I'm more suburban soccer mom ('cause I'm, well, a suburban soccer mom!) Don't you dare get down on yourself or I'll have to fly across country and slap you upside the head! You're gorgeous!

rdesigns

You are so sweet jozkid. I have seen the photos that you posted with your Dipbrow example, and you are one beautiful woman with lashes I would kill for (not literally, but you know what I mean).  I also appreciate the support you have given me these last few months very much while I have been going through some challenges. Hugs to you :smileywink:

jozkid

I am not one to give false praise. If I didn't really think so, I wouldn't have said anything at all. :smileywink:

And I appreciate the compliment as well. I wanted to add that you have a great backside, too! :smileyvery-happy:

As for the support, I recall it was you who reached out first. When you put good stuff out there, good stuff comes back to you. Keep smiling R!

BrennaBombshell

I think you're gorgeous! You have such unique features. And I really love that necklace, by the way. You shouldn't feel bad about yourself, just because someone else did a poor job on you. Maybe treat yourself to a spa day, because who doesn't feel beautiful after getting pampered for a few hours? And maybe try and make an appointment with someone who is closer in age and who wears the style of makeup you'd enjoy wearing as well. Last night at my Sephora class, I watched the leader doing a smoky eye on a girl as a demonstration to the rest of us, and I noticed that she (while doing a great job) went very similarly to how she does her own makeup, bold and dramatic. The other girl that was being demonstrated on was done by a lady probably in her 40s or so, and the look was far more subtle and toned down. I really think that the people you can make appointments with should have a portfolio that you can look through, so you can see if they do the style of makeup you'd like. 

rdesigns

Thanks :smileyhappy:  That photo was actually taken at a rock concert (lol), so my accessory choice and clothing were not exactly what I would wear for a regular lunch with the gals or a day shopping...lol

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 49 replies
  • 262 hearts
  • 24 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • DTalksAll
    • anaa
    • emmaclaire
    • malday
    • ChicDabbler