Fabz

Mary Kay products?

I haven't tried too many products from this brand but I am considering being a consultant since I stay at home with my son. Does anyone have favorite products from this line? I have liked some of their eveyshadows and the satin hands collection.

colorobsession

Re: Mary Kay products?

I sold Mary Kay for about a year or so because I loved makeup and thought it would be a fun way to make a little extra money. I loved some of their products, and found that others weren't anything special. I never liked how pushy they want you to be, and by having to buy product up BEFORE it's been sold you are putting yourself at risk of losing money. Ultimately I decided that it wasn't for me. Beyond that, I always felt guilty buying any makeup that wasn't Mary Kay, because you get a 50% discount on their products. As soon as I walked away I started exploring the brands that Sephora carries, and here I am!

My favorite/best selling products were their Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover, Concealer, Eye Primer, Ultimate Mascara, and Satin Hands/Satin Lips.

LadyTenna

(0) Hearts

My favorites are the Satin Hands & Lips Collection, Firming Eye Cream  & Timewise Skin Care  System

kstrat

My mom purchases amaryllis Kay makeup from her friend and she likes it.  I don't know a lot about the brand, but maybe you could also look into Avon? I believe it has the same concept. 

jennypenny1995

Oh, where do I start?  #1 - They test on animals.  For years, they touted that they didn't, but they actually do.  That is the #1 reason I stopped wearing their products because I felt lied to after speaking with multiple members of their corporate staff.  #2 - I used to use a great deal of their products and found them to be behind what allllll the other brands were doing.  Ex: They launched Microdermabrasion WAY after everyone else already had one on the market.  Same thing with Mineral makeup.  Way late.  #3 - The service you get depends on how committed the Consultant is to her business.  I have heard countless stories of people that paid for their products up front and never got their deliveries.  Or, they waited months for their Consultant to sell enough to place their minimum order to finally get what they wanted.  The product knowledge of a Consultant is dependent upon how much she puts into attending conferences and other events, which are NOT held in her own home.  So, if you want to really learn about makeup application, etc., you will probably do better with a YouTube tutorial or Sephora artists.  #4 - Their #1 market is Mexico, with China on the run for that spot, so the U.S. market is getting less attention from their corporate offices than bigger, rising markets.  #5 - I truly believe in treating people exactly the way I want to be treated, so that is the sole reason I'm being honest and saying: Don't do it.  Their attrition rate is horrendous.  With any business, there are expenses, so most people will find it costs a lot to keep it running, store away for federal tax that isn't taken out of their profits since they're self-employed, and keep up with stocking/learning the new products launching several times a year.  I have a bit of an inside scoop on things, so feel free to message me directly if I can help you.

lovelyred139

(0) Hearts

An aunt of mine sells Mary Kay.  I love their lipglosses -- very moisturizing -- and am trying out their new facial moisturizer.  The only thing that bugs me about Mary Kay's offerings is how often they change formulas/packaging/product names. A lot of it seems needless.

Re: inventory, there absolutely is pressure to buy it for your own stock, but my aunt has managed not to.  It means a lag between placing an order with her and receiving, but I'm not bothered by it -- I know it's the financially responsible move for her.

sephoramusthave

I've never tried their makeup, just their skincare--a moisturizer and cleanser, but that was *years* ago. Honestly, I dont like how mary kay sells their products. They dont have a store with testers out, they just kind of set up shop at rodeos and such, and they show you their products by coming to *your* house, which means that

1. You have a bunch of strangers in your home, trying to sell you stuff.

2. After the put X amounts of products on your face, you feel bad if you dont buy anything because they came all that way to sell you something, spend all that time with you and it would be akward sending them home empty handed.

Fabz

Rodeos? wow where do you live?! We really don't have those here. I think that I won't be able to do "parties" like some of the consultants.. I don't feel comfortable pressuring people plus the whole point is to be able to stay home not travel to peoples houses. I know you can send people samples instead... but first as a consultant you have to buy a bunch of them.

carolang

When my aunt used it I loved the satin lips and satin hands, mascara, and I remember them having some nice lip products as well. I think its a great idea to try to go back to work with this. :smileyhappy:

Fabz

You think so? I'm nervous since I don't have that many friends that I know are interested in makeup... so I think they would just purchase a chapstick or something to appease me lol

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

I live minutes away from Austin, Texas. The rodeo is actually starting on March 8 here, cant wait. Its called Rodeo Austin and its just the best. I think its a 3 week event, I go several times a year, *every* year and thats where I bought my Mary Kay skincare stuffs. And MAN are those people PUSHY. If anyone says"fill out this card to enter to win BLAH" dont do it! All they do with that is call your home and try to get you to buy something, and use their name.

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Listen, I just read some reviews about working for mary kay. A lot of people said that you have to buy your own inventory, and its up to you to sell everything. Its one of those "you have to spend money to make money" kind of jobs. Apparantly, you have to invest thousands of dollars of your own money, and are pressured to keep your own shelf of products well stocked.

Fabz

(0) Hearts

One of my girlfriends used to sell MK and she said you don't have to buy any inventory unless you want to. She ended up purchasing the 2000 kit... I would definitely do the minimum :smileytongue:

beautylovingirl

I used some of their shawdows and their foundations a long time ago b/c some girl I worked with was selling them, but nothing I was that interested in.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 14 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • sephoramusthave
    • jennypenny1995
    • kstrat
    • colorobsession
    • beautylovingirl
    • lovelyred139