Answer
classyskater98
Makeup to Middle School
so im 13 and in middle school but i dont sleep much so i was wondering whats a nice way to do makeup kinda natural but PRETTY
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 8
artemisgem
Answered
[ Edited ]

Since you're 13 and want a natural look, for a simple, everyday look, especially in the summer, a tinted moisturizer is a great start. You can take care of moisturizing, SPF and light coverage in one step. Since you have combination skin, I'd recommend Laura Mercier "Tinted Moisturizer--Oil Free" (Sephora Product Page) It comes in such a wide variety of shades, it should be easy to find the perfect match for your dark skin.

As for the rest of your face, you'll need a good everyday blush. Benefit Cosmetics "Benetint" (Sephora Product Page) is a rose-tinted cheek stain that is very flattering for darker complexions. It will give your cheeks a nice, glowing, natural-looking sheer tint.

benetint.jpg

You'll need a good everyday mascara as well. Since you're young and likely still have naturally lush lashes, that means a mascara that's not too heavy or extreme. I recommend one with natural ingredients that will help condition lashes as well as make them look nice. Try Tarte "Gifted Amazonian Clay Smart Mascara" (Sephora Product Page) It's a reparative and volumizing mascara containing Tarte's biggest beauty breakthrough, Amazonian clay which intuitively hydrates and replenishes dry and brittle lashes to prevent fallout.  After daily wear, lashes are intact, healthier and stronger.  And it looks great too--it gives you a nice increase in volume, but lashes still feel soft and look feathery and natural.

Finally, you'll need an good everyday eyeshadow. For a casual, everyday look, I love the Too Faced "Natural Eye Neutral Eye Shadow Collection"(Sephora Product Page) It has 9 shadows in great everyday colors that would be flattering to your brown eyes. It's great for beginners because it's so easy to use. It comes with "get the look" diagrams to show you exactly how to apply it to get three different looks: a natural "day" look, a chic "classic" look or a more dramatic "fashion" look.

naturaleye.jpg

Last, you'll want a good lip gloss.  Josie Maran "Natural Volume Lip Gloss" (Sephora Product Page) is a very good quality gloss that keeps lips soft and hydrated. This lipgloss has argan oil in it, which conditions lips and makes them soft and smooth almost as well as a balm does. But it also comes in some beautifully pigmented colors. For a natural look, try the shade "Brilliance" (sheer shimmering pink.) If you want something more daring, I think the shade "Voluptuous" (sheer plum wine) would look lovely on someone with your coloring.

arganlip.jpg

Voluptuous Brilliance

Voluptuous                    Brilliance   

I hope all this helps you! :smileyhappy:

haylolo
Answered

I'm also in middle school and am the same way, so here's my daily (well sort of) routine.

• Face

-Concealer- Since you say you don't get much sleep your eyes are probably some what puffy with dark circles underneath.  I suggest Clinique All About Eyes Concealer--it's a moisturizes, conceals, and depuffs--an insomniacs dream concealer! :smileytongue:

-Foundation- Before I begin, I must say that if you are blessed with a clear complexion don't use foundation. Not only is it time consuming to apply but it could also clog your pores and ruin your crystal clear complexion. Anyways, if you must wear it I reccommend Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation. I have never actually tried it, but I've done my research and it sounds like everyone that's tried it has loved it. If you prefer powder foundation, as do I, you should consider trying Lancome Teint Idole Ultra Compact.  It gives amazing coverage without looking cakey.

-Primer- If you plan on wearing liquid foundation using primer is usually a good idea. I really like Stila One Step Correct because it leaves your face feeling silky smooth, contains three color correcting brighteners, plus it smooths out your skin.

• Eyes

-Eye Shadow- I myself don't wear eye shadow on a regular basis but if you choose to I would suggest Clinique's Color Surge Eye Shadow. Since you're only in middle school you might want to stick to pale pinks or browns.

-Eye Liner- Again this is not something I wear regularly but when I do I wear my Lancome Le Crayon Eye Liner. I love it because it smudges nicely and is long lasting.

-Mascara- In my book mascara is a must. It pulls the whole look together. I honestly can't go a day with out my Lancome Definicils. It lengthens, darkens, defines, and voluminizes your eyelashes.

• Lips

-Gloss/Chapstick- I truthfully think that matte lips is a bit much for middle school so I say stick to gloss or even lip balm until later in life. For lipgloss I recommend Liplicious brand. They taste, smell, and look sweet.

Hope this helps,

Haylolo :smileyhappy:

gabidee
Answered
[ Edited ]

HEY!

I'm 13, too and I am also in Middle School. The whole entire school year, I experimented with makeup looks, and I finally found the perfect look for me: As little makeup as needed. When 8th grade comes, I will wear a little more, but natural is always best.

Here is what I finally came to realize was a perfect quick makeup routine! Hope it helps :smileyvery-happy:

CONCEALING: Us teenagers tend to get acne, and covering it up makes me feel even more confident. I also have dark circles, so concealer is my number one beauty product. You want an opaque, full coverage concealer for all the problems your skin brings you!  My favorite concealer? Benefit Erase Paste ($26.00). This concealer is soo opaque. It can cover anything from dark circles to blemishes. Plus, it's so creamy, which makes it perfect for the undereye area!

Erase Paste

FOUNDATION FOR ACNE: Acne is just a wonderful part of being a teenager. NOT. Luckily, so many brands have created solutions and foundations just for acne. My favorite? Clinique Acne Solutions Liquid Foundation ($24.50) . This lightweight foundation covers up pimples and evens out skin tone as it heals blemishes with salycic acid. Squirt a pea-sized amount on your wrist to start off, and get some on your brush or your CLEAN fingers and blend it evenly on your face. Thanks, Clinique!

Acne Solutions Liquid Makeup

MASCARA: There are way too many mascaras on the market, and I'm guessing that you have already been experimenting with mascaras saying your 13.  Mascara just ties in your whole entire look and makes you look wide-eyed and gorgeous! Just stick with the mascara you are using currently! Need help? I love Benefit's They're Real Mascara. It lengthens your lashes dramatically and it fans out the lashes in the corner.

BLUSH: Blush gives you a glow and brightens up your face. My favorite blush is Clinique Quick-Blush. The color is amazing, and it has a built-in brush that distributes color beautifully. It's compact-ness makes it so easy to touch-up!

EYELINER: Some girls wear eyeliner, and others don't. I honestly don't think I need it. But if you really feel the need to wear it, opt for a more subtle shade than full-on midnight. I like brown eyeliner for most eye colors. It still defines, but it's not as dramatic.

EYESHADOW: I love eyeshadow! Shimmering neutrals are perfect for school. Stila's Eyeshadow in Kitten is the perfect shimmering champagne. It's so pretty and subtle!

HOPE THIS HELPS!

corrin99
Answered

If you feel the need for evening out your skin, try Covergirl Natureluxe or Clinique tinted Moisture surge.  Pick a natural slightly shimmery eyeshadow, Covergirl quad in sheerly nudes, or hello kitty in cupcake or friendship.  Covergirl makes a natural mascara too, it has 2 colors spiraling in the tube, use a brown one.  A little peachy pink blush and a swipe of lipsmackers, I still like Dr. pepper, raspberry, vanilla, and burthday cake at 24. 

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P276342&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5988http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P284201&categoryId=B70

brookie673
Answered

Well, I'm 13 and don't sleep much either! lol :smileyvery-happy: Here's what I do, but you can take stuff out that you feel is not necessary or add stuff in, every person is different:

Concealer on zits and undereye circles

foundation on my nose and chin, very little and well blended

eyelid primer when I have an A day (gym class, so I'll be sweating haha)

neutral or light eyeshadow on the lid (usually brown, you can find many different shades and have fun with it. Pink and lavender are also very nice as long as you don't apply too much. Stay away from dark purples and blues, along with neons, which are too much for our little faces ahahha).

a white shimmery color as a highlight on my inner tear ducts and brow bown (blend well.)

Eyeliner (have fun with this- apply a thin line and collect some crazy colors- it adds some fun without overdoing it like eyeshadow would. For pencil and crayon liners you can go nuts- I have black, brown, teal, purple, pink, etc. You might want to stick with black and browns for liquid until you really master it though- one slip and you'll have a dark, thick line all over your eye, and if it's waterproof it'll be impossible to get off. Also, get a good white eyeliner to line your waterline- it will make you look more awake and make your eyes look bigger.)

Mascara on bottom and top lashes (stick to blacks and browns for this. blue will just look weird.)

blush on the apples of my cheeks and blended out and up towards my ear (Be very careful to not apply too much- get a color that is light and maybe with a little shimmer. I like Cover Girl Trublend blush in shimmering sands because it has some shimmer and not too much color. Very young and cute lol).

Sometimes bronzer right under my cheekbones to contour (definitely not necessary, especially if you're tan or low on time/money. And if you do use it, apply very lightly and carefully. And if you live up around New York like me, do NOT apply in the winter when everyone else is pale. You just look weird haha. If you live in California everyday use might be okay.)

Powder to set it all (translucent light- get an easy to blend one.)

Like I said, you don't have to follow my guidelines. You seriously do not have to use foundation and bronzer and powder- most kids my age don't. I'm just a fanatic lol :smileyvery-happy: Also, if you want a natural look, blending is key- you don't want a big, cakey spot of color right in the middle of your face! You might want to get a good set of brushes too. There are quite a few posts on here about this same topic and starting brush sets. Hope I helped!!

tenngal
Answered

Hi, classyskater.  I was just wondering if you don't sleep much because you're so busy with school work, etc., or if you just plain have a hard time sleeping.  Getting enough sleep is really important and if you are lacking sleep because you simply can't sleep, then I would tell your parents so they can take you to your family doctor and try to figure out why you are unable to sleep.  During sleep is when our bodies repair and rejuvenate themselves, so getting an adequate amount of sleep really is important in not only thinking clearly but in looking your best.  Now that my sleep speech is out of the way, ha ha, let's talk about makeup.

At your age, you have a natural beauty that you don’t want to cover up with a lot of makeup products.  Teenage makeup should always be soft and subtle. A nice combination of subtle colors makes teenage makeup attractive and soft.

As a teenager you must know that you have got soft and unexploited skin and you should act wisely to preserve it.  Make sure you do not use any local and harsh products on your skin.  Do not give yourself an overdose of make up because it will make you look more mature than you are and will cover up your own natural beauty—your youthful, innocence is the basic plus point of your beauty.

What to do:

• Experiment with colors.  Try wearing bright and floral colors.  You can also use light pink and black colors if you are willing for a feminine look.
  • Go for bright yet natural shades for make up.
  • Do experiments with your eye makeup, but avoid extra glossy makeup anywhere else on your face.
  • Go for lipgloss instead of lipstick.
  • Try different kinds of hairstyles because changes in hairstyles help in a complete makeover.
  • Remember to keep your skin clean, toned and moisturized.  Avoid using any harsh products on your skin.
  • Innocence on your face is your real beauty, so avoid any kind of makeup that overshadows your natural charm.  For example, choose a tinted moisturizer instead of foundation because it is sheerer and looks more natural.

What not to do:

• Always make sure that you don’t overdress yourself and that whatever you wear is in accordance with the occasion you’re dressing up for.
  • Avoid extra chemical treatment with your hair.  However experiment as much as you can with natural and herbal products.
  • Avoid wearing ultra glam dress and makeup because that will overshadow the natural beauty of your face.
  • Do not apply chemicals on your face.  Instead go for homemade and natural/organic products.
  • Avoid colors like green, brown, grey and slate both in makeup and dresses.

Sephora has a couple of great video tutorials called the “No-Makeup Makeup Look” and the “5 Minute Makeup” that you should take a few minutes to watch.  You can find the video tutorials at:

The No Makeup Makeup Look Tutorialhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqs56OZmUu8&feature=player_embedded

The 5 Minute Makeup Tutorialhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rL14FoZpXQM

I think it would be very helpful to you to go to your local Sephora (if you have one close by) and get one of their associates to do a makeover on you.  Be sure to tell them your age so they don’t guess you as being older and so they’ll apply the makeup taking your age into consideration.  Getting the makeover will not only introduce you to the best products for your skin type, but you can also watch and learn how to apply them at the same time.  If you get a makeover at Sephora, you have to purchase a $50 gift card (as payment for the makeover), which you can turn around and use to purchase the products like the ones used on you during the makeover.  If you don’t have a Sephora to go to for a makeover, you can make an appointment with one of the cosmetic counters at a large department store or at an Ulta store in your area.

Hope this helps!
Have a great day!
tenngal :smileyhappy:

katimae
Answered

Wow Classy!  You've gotten a lot of good stuff so far and I agree with a lot of it.  When I was 13 I didn't sleep b/c I couldn't fall a sleep.  It ended up to be a chronic problem that lasted for a while in my life.  When I was older a doctor did give me sleeping pills but they didn't work out for me.  I hope your sleeping problem is situational and not organic but, as was said, don't be shy to talk to your doctor.

Next the other best thing you can do to look good is eat healthy and drink LOTS of water!  (just trying to get you there the natural way :smileywink: )

Skin care:  I always went with Clinique's 3-step process when I was young.  It worked well for me.

Unless you skin is uneven I don't suggest using a tinted moisturizer or foundation.  If you do need one, I go along w/ the majority that Laura Mercier's T.M. is  best.

For a cover-up/concealor I like Benefit's Erase Paste.  If that doesn't go deep enough for your skin shade, you can look at "deep" in Boi--ing.

In the beginning I liked to experiment with a lot of different colors.  I suggest getting one Sephora's Combination Palettes.  They have plenty of eyeshadows, plus some blushes, and usually lipglosses.  This is all very good quality at an affordable price. ( I know I made very little money at your age.)  You should get a eye lid primer though. I like Benefit's Stay Don't Stray, but it is also a concealor and again I don't know if the color will be dark enough for you.  On this one I defer to my other friends that have posted answers.The only thing you'll need now are brushes.  You can get very good brushes at your local Target.  Sonia K... (oh, I cannot remember her name right now.) brushes are comparable to many of the high end brushes.

Finally, Benefit (I'm learning that this might be my favorite brand, I sure am suggesting it a lot!) has a nice boxed powder in the shade Hoolah that you might like to highlight your face.  I use a very similar product and make a W down my cheekbones and up over my nose, then on my chin, and if my hair's pulled back a little on my forehead.  Just enough to look sunkissed in the summertime.

And when I was working when I was a teen, I did a shoot in a green bikini and was put in a lot of shades of brown in the fall.  Also the makeup artists have always said my eyes look best in green shadow so I don't think there is one stay fast rule for everyone about colors to/ not wear.

xoxcharlottexox
Answered
(0) Hearts

Start out with a undereye concealer and a tinted moisturizer to even out your skin, if needed. - Bobbi Brown Face Touch Up StickLaura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20 - Oil Free

Then, use a blush on the apples of your cheeks for a natural, pretty glow. I like Benefit Cosmetics Benetint, because it can be used as a lip stain as well as a cheek stain.

Then, set your makeup with a powder like Clinique Stay-Matte Sheer Pressed Powder to make your makeup last all day.

After that, use an eyeshadow primer such as Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion Tube, then follow with an eyeshadow. I like Urban Decay Eyeshadow, because it's really pigmented. I'd suggest putting Sin on your lids with a fulffy shadow brush like SEPHORA COLLECTION Professionnel Platinum Natural Medium Eyeshadow Brush #14.

If your eyes are looking tired, put Eye Beam Double-Ended Brightener in your inner corners of your eyes and under your brow to brighten up your eyes.

Curl your lashes with an eyelash curler, like Shiseido Eyelash Curler.

Then, finish with one to two coats of mascara. I like Lancome DÉFINICILS - High Definition Mascara.

Hope this helps!!

xoxo, Charlotte

Question Stats
  • 8 answers
  • 26 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • corrin99
    • xoxcharlottexox
    • katimae
    • artemisgem
    • brookie673