Constella

Makeup help?

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I'm completely new to makeup and I need some help.
I was wondering if I visit a Sephora store, will the people there help me with where to get started and like a mini tutorial on how to use them?

I'm looking to buy products too

roxystar4

Re: Makeup help?

(0) Hearts

I dont know if other people will agree with me but the samples & perks online are way better online than in store. Maybe you can try something like ITKIT promo code online (where you will be able to try a lot of different products for free).

What I would do is go in store and try some items and write down what I want and then go online where I can get 3 samples free and then a nice promo.  I always walk away with 2 small samples if I go in the store but nothing like the promos that you can get online.

Or maybe split it up- some items online and some in store. That way you can choose samples in the store (they can make a sample of just about anything). 

kd006

I agree with roxystar4! If you do the makeover, with the $50 limit or whatever, spend the $50 but if you plan to purchase more, then just buy it online! Check out the active promo codes thread that is always updated and you can find great little perks with your purchases that you don't get in store. But, the trade off with that is, you can't get free samples of a certain product online like roxystar said. Like if you want a sample of a certain foundation, you can't get it online, but they will give you one in store.. So also ask for samples in store! :smileyhappy:

roxystar4

[ Edited ]

Yes I feel like there are pros and cons to both instore and online purchasing. But if you plan on spending $100 or more, I recommend splitting it up!  $50 instore for the makeover and be sure to ask for samples of things you want to test (Kd006 has a great point about foundation colors instore & getting samples).

And then $50 online (or multiple $50 orders to get as many promos & samples as possible). 

Depends on how much you want to spend.

Daniela1387

(0) Hearts

It all depends on who you talk to. Some SAs Ive come across can be rather pushy about certain products because they love love love them rather than whether it looks great on you. I would suggest doing your research before going in. Youtube has a lot of different makeup gurus who you can watch and start getting a feel for what you gravitate to. Look for basic easily applied products. Nothing with too many steps because it can get confusing very quickly (happens to me all the time). Consider things like do you want a neutral natural look in your eyeshadow palette or something fun with colors, what kind of skin do you have (acne prone, dry, combination, oily etc) which will help you in figuring out what kind of foundation, bb cream, facial primer etc to use, what color blushes do you want (pinks, peachy, plums), how bold are you willing to go with your lipsticks. Also use us here on this forum! We allll love makeup and are willing to give advice from our personal fails and wins when it comes to makeup =) 

**AND DONT FORGET for anything that you buy keep the packaging and receipt until you are sure you like it, if you don't then you can return it and find something more suitable to your liking. Sometimes when a SA is helping you and is super excited about the makeup they are applying on you, one can easily get wrapped up in the excitement and go omg I'm sooo buying this and then you get home and go umm how on earth do i do this again? Or why did i buy this? lol 

kalex

(0) Hearts

The $50 makeover is a great way to get started!  Depending on which brands you go for $50 can go a pretty long way! (Especially with value palettes from brands like Sephora and Stila.)

If you don't have $50 to spend you can still stop and in and ask for suggestions on good starter products.  The employees will show you how to use them and send you home with samples if needed too!

Constella

(0) Hearts

Thank you so much! I'll check it out.

kd006

Hi constella, welcome to BT.

All of the sephora associates are more than helpful if you go into a store! You can call and make an appointment and they will do a makeover for you. With this service, you are required to spend $50 on makeup in the store. I'm not 100% sure if it has to be something that the artist uses on you, or if you can just pick anything. Mods on this site will probably see this thread and will answer that for you. There is also an appointment you can make for a consultation and you get an hour and a half with an artist and they will help you with various aspects of buying, trying on, and learning how to use makeup. That service requires you to spend $125 in the store. Again, if you have questions about that I'm sure a mod would explain.

There is a link to the services they have. www.sephora.com/beautystudio

It also shows on there that they have classes, but I have never been to one so I can't vouch for that experience.

I was more than pleased with my experience getting my makeup done at my MOA location. The artist who did my makeup was very knowledgeable and friendly! I didn't love every product she used on me, but that's okay with me. I just wanted the experience and to maybe find some products I loved and I did!

Hope all this helps.

Constella

Thanks for the info! I'll probably check it out this weekend!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • kalex
    • roxystar4
    • kd006
    • Daniela1387
    • Constella