Answer
flowerling
Makeup for a 19-year-old (a beginner!)
[ Edited ]

Hi everyone! I'm turning 19 very soon and I almost lament the fact that I have been utterly clueless about makeup over the last few years. While I don't doubt it's just the right age to start learning about enhancing my features through makeup, I still want to achieve very natural looks that only subtly boost my appearance. I'm liking the idea of a bit of eyeliner (I look soooo young and I want to look a bit more like my age for once!), blush, lip stain, and light foundation, only for masking my blemishes and eye bags. Maybe some neutral colored eyeshadow would look good sometimes. Would y'all please recommend some great products I could use and what routine I should adopt (like using a primer or something) to make sure I take care of my skin? I'm Asian, so I have fair to light brown skin, deep brown eyes and brown hair (dyed it just recently). Thank you so much for your help! :smileyhappy:

EDIT: Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to give me such lovely, helpful advice! I feel so encouraged and excited to try putting on makeup now. I'll keep all of your suggestions in mind when I go makeup shopping. :smileyhappy: Again, thank you!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
artemisgem
Answered
[ Edited ]

Since you're just starting out with makeup, it would be best to keep things simple. Since you want a natural look, I recommend Bobbi Brown "Skin Foundation SPF 15" (Sephora Product Page)This is a  very modern foundation that offersBBskin.jpg invisible, weightless coverage that looks like skin rather than makeup.This long-wearing formula evens tone, minimizes the appearance of pores, conceals imperfections, and offers broad-spectrum UV protection. Its hydrating technology leaves skin feeling cushioned, comfortable, and clean. It will give you the light to medium coverage you need to conceal blemishes but still be comfy to wear. It comes in many shades, so I'm sure you can find the right one for your skin. Since you also mentioned wanting to use a primer, I recommend Bobbi Brown "Vitamin Enriched Face Base " (Sephora Product Page) This is a very natural bbprimer.jpgprimer because it's a lightweight cream that sinks instantly into the skin to create a smooth base for a seamless makeup application. This advanced, oil-free face formula is rich but never feels greasy. Formulated with shea butter, it instantly hydrates, softens, and cushions skin. I've found it to be very comfortable to wear and it doesn't make me break out like so many other primers.        

Next, you'll want a good blush. I love the blushes by Benefit Cosmetics. Since you have fair to light brown skin, for a simple,natural look, try  the peachy glow of Benefit

CORALista.jpg Cosmetics "CORALista." (Sephora Product Page) This blush has a beautiful coral pink color that really warms up your complexion, and I think it would look very nice one someone with your coloring. Blushes in general are fairly expensive, but they last for such a long time: I've been using some of my blushes for over a decade.

As for a good eyeliner, I love Urban Decay "24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil" (Sephora Product Page) These cushiony, creamy eyeUD247l.jpg pencils deliver powerful, vibrant color that slides on smooth and stays soft and creamy for blending (about 30 seconds--this grace period is nice if you're not used to applying eyeliner), then dries to a long-lasting finish that won't budge. These glide-on smoothly and are easy to apply, even for beginners. The shade selection is amazing, and the finish of these eyeliners goes from traditional matte to trendy glitter. Since part of starting out wearing makeup is experimenting, you should be able to have a lot of fun trying out all the different colors. As for which would be good for a simple, everyday look: since you have lighter skin, try a brown like "Bourbon."

You'll also need a great mascara. As you said, the right eyeliner along with long, fairydrops.jpgglamorous lashes will help you look older. I recommend Fairydrops "Scandal Queen Mascara"(Sephora Product Page) This volumizing, lengthening and water and sweat-resistant mascara was originally designed especially for Asian lashes. This do-it-all mascara is blended with fiber to give you lush, doll-like lashes. The unique brush catches even the tiniest lashes, defines, lengthens, and provides all-day curl. This mascara is very effective, and it will definitely draw attention to your eyes.

Since you want a simple look, I'd recommend neutral eye

eyeUD.jpgshadow colors. I love the Urban Decay "Naked Palette" (Sephora Product Page) This collection of 12 neutral eyeshadows is top quality and it comes with an Urban Decay "Eyeshadow Primer Potion" mini so your shadow will look great all day. This is the most versatile palette I know of: the different finishes (matte, shimmery, sparkly, etc.) and all the different shades mean you'll be covered for every occasion from everyday to parties. And since you're a beginner, there are a lot of online tutorials for diffferent ways to use the shadows in this palette--you can check some of them out on YouTube.

Since you wanted a lipstain, I recommend Tarte "LipSurgence Natural Lip Tint" (Sephora Product Page) This is a natural lip stain that is ideal tarteLS.jpgfor everyday because it's clinically proven to increase lips' moisture content by 6000%. Each emotive, peppermint-infused shade smoothly glides on lips for a natural flush that will stay all day. There are some classic pinks and reds that are nice for special occasions. But for an everyday look I think the rose shade "Enchanted" and the nude peach shade "Peaceful" would look great on you.

I  think all of these products would work great for you. Have fun experimenting  to see which products you like the best! I hope this helps you! :smileyhappy: 

Question Stats
  • 7 answers
  • 14 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • xoxcharlottexox
    • pocketvenus
    • thecaramelapple
    • laurenknows
    • artemisgem
    • nanobear18
    • flowerling