MintShake

Makeup Don'ts?

Does anybody have any makeup don'ts, and if so, share on this thread, thanks~ 

BamaCaliGirl

Re: Makeup Don'ts?

Don't be too fake. I learned this lesson majorly from a co-worker. Don't use false eyelashes unless it's a very special occasion and you really want to. The girl I work with burnt some of her lashes smoking once and decided to wear big fake eyelashes daily to cover it instead of trying to help the growth process along. Now she has pretty much killed her eyelashes and has to wear fake eyelashes constantly. If you do wear them make sure that you take them off or replace them when they start to sag, trim the corners so that they are as long as the center, and make sure you match your mascara to them so you don't have black fake eyelashes sitting on top of brown real ones. Orangeish tans are awful as well. Match your makeup to your neck-just because you want to be that tan doesn't mean you are. If you want to wear extensions keep them clean, neat, and if they are clip-in then please hide the clips. Lastly, pretty manicures are great but talon nails are icky. This girl breaks all of these don't and is at first glance very pretty but at second physically repulsive. You don't want to be that person.

fruitysquirt

(0) Hearts

Never wear blue lipstick. Ever. And do nit use dark eyeliner to the extent you look like a raccoon. A learn to apply it correctly

ashhay

(0) Hearts

Never leave your makeup in the car in warm weather unless you like dealing with messy situations......this includes lip balms!

solveig

[ Edited ]

It's not a particular thing, but just makeup that is not appropriate for a particular setting or makeup that doesn't match the rest of your look. For example, heavy smoky eyes and glittery eyeliner/eyeshadow in the office, or wearing full face of makeup (foundation, blush, bronzer, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, sometimes false eyelashes, etc.) when you are wearing yoga pants, or sweats, and tennis shoes. And I am sorry, but girls who come to class at 7 am wearing full face of makeup just make me wonder if they are "working professionals", if you know what I mean.

lmevans

(0) Hearts

Make sure to choose your foundation wisely! Even if your foundation matches the skin on your face, it may be a completely different color than the skin on your neck. I have seriously pink undertones on my face and neutral undertones on my body (including my neck) so I run into this problem all the time. The goal is to look like one cohesive unit, so try to match your foundation to your neck if at all possible.

MintShake

(0) Hearts

That is very true. I chose a foundation that was darker on my face, but my neck was light (to get accurate results, I go by the color of my hands, because hands don't change color)

ashhay

(0) Hearts

Don't sleep in your makeup it will age you an additional 3 days for every night you sleep in it.

MintShake

(0) Hearts

Oh **bleep**, I already slept in it a couple of days...

kalex

Not blending your eyeliner into your lash line.  I used to work with a lady who did this.  When she was looking right at you it looked fine but when she looked down at her desk you'd see a distinct line drawn across her lid away from her lashes.

chiararaiden

My biggest makeup pet peeve is to see people with eye makeup, especially eyeliner (thick or thin) without mascara!  IMO it looks like they either ran out of time, or forgot... esp if they used a powdery eyeshadow, and their lashes are colored pink!

Spoiler

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Ugh, yes!!!  So unfinished!

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I can't help myself here are a few more makeup dont's:thCA0MLNYW.jpgthCA0MLNYW.jpg

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@missjr- You mean like this:thCATRRH7A.jpg

poemelyric

I have one more... too much mascara...  I only apply two coats and make sure my lashes are separated...  I hate when they load it on and it gets clumpy...  Drives me crazy!

missjr

Point well taken!  To this day, I shudder when I see pictures of the late Tammy Fay Baker and her spider lashes.  

makeupmaven

I always wipe off my brush on a tissue before applying mascara. Perhaps I go through the mascara quicker this way, but especially with richer, volumizing formulas and thicker/ bigger brushes, this guarantees no clumps/ control over your application.

corrin99

(0) Hearts

My least favorite don't is wearing black liner on your waterline with little to no other makeup.  This looks especially bad to me with no mascara.  But I love it with a smoky eye or sexy night look.

Not blending foundation, or leaving a sharp line.  Same with blush or bronzer, looks so bad! 

Putting mascara on just the tips of your lashes usually on young ladies who need a little practice.  Or the other way getting black on your lid and not cleaning it up, I have done this, but it looks shabby.

krunce

I have to agree with the overplucking statements.

I feel as though that's always the most distracting thing for me when I'm talking to someone whose eyebrow shape is no longer very natural at all, y'know? Or when it's very very obvious that they've reshaped their eyebrows with a pencil.

makeupmaven

Totally with you, I used to pencil in (my avi is an old photo) and now I just let them grow (pluck occasionally but not the way I used to) and it looks so much better in my opinion...I never had full brows and never should have plucked to begin with.

poemelyric

I'd have to say that the foam eyeshadow applicators are my big thing.  I can't believe that a company like Dior still puts them in their $65 compacts.  I mean, if you're going to spend the money on Dior, then invest in some brushes.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 65 replies
  • 121 hearts
  • 30 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • corrin99
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave