MintShake

Makeup Don'ts?

Does anybody have any makeup don'ts, and if so, share on this thread, thanks~ 

jennypenny1995

Re: Makeup Don'ts?

(0) Hearts

Yes!!!  I've seen chicks put eye color on with JUST the sponge part of it!  That totally hurts my head on so many levels.

beautylovingirl

@mintshake- When you buy foundation you want that color to match your face perfectly or as close as possible.

Daniela1387

Do not use apply makeup with brushes you havent cleaned! That is the perfect way to cause breakouts and transfer bacteria into your makeup products. 

prosopon

Don't forget your eyebrows.  They frame your eyes and can totally change the look of yor face.  Also, a little clear mascara does wonders keeping them in place.

tuesdaym

(0) Hearts

I completely agree!

sephoralovex

Don't forget to blend. Not only your eyeshadow but your foundation, blush, bronzer (contour)!!!!

I usually see non-blended eyeshadow on girls and it just irks me... But hey it's their face. Also see many who dont blend their bronzer (contour) too well and it just looks like a straight brown line across the side of your face..

katie1724

I think these have been covered in some form (so I totally agree with everyone!) but my own are:

1. Wrong shade of foundation, either too light or too dark. Your complexion does not look lighter with a lighter foundation shade; it just looks odd. When it's too dark, you can tell because of the line of demarcation against the neck (or even if its blended, the wrong shade will still be visible). It can be tough to find a good match, but I think it's worth the effort.

2. Overplucking. I have done this, and I am really lucky (and thankful!) that my eyebrows grew back.

3. Wearing too heavy a foundation for a certain skin type, or just too much. I understand wanting to cover flaws, but after a while it just looks so caked on and thick.

4. Too much blush / too heavy a hand -- it can be overwhelming.

5. Lip liner that is darker than the lip color (I thought this was a thing of the 90s, but I still see it occasionally).

6. Mismatched concealer. There's nothing worse than having a blemish that's already noticeable, only now it's also orangey from the wrong shade of concealer. I have done this by accident, before I realized that the concealer oxidized (or just dried to a darker shade that did not match my skin).

I also agree with missjr's #1 re: concealer being too light under the eyes -- this is particularly noticeable in photographs!

Re: Makeupmaven's suggesion re: using a touch of blush on the forehead -- I always do this, too! We blush all over; why not add a touch to the forehead?

MintShake

(0) Hearts

I always thought you could use darker or lighter foundation if you use setting powder and apply it to the neckline 

starletta8

You'll still get a line.

MintShake

(0) Hearts

But then again, my face is darker than my body so I always thought I should use a lighter foundation for parts of my face, but my face skin tone is evening out. 

jennypenny1995

I have a feeling you'll love Lisa Eldridge's video on picking the perfect shade and how to pick it.  She's on YouTube.  She's done Cindy Crawford's, Kate Winslet's, and many others' makeup for covers, etc.  Good advice on those vids!

beautylovingirl

That's a very good one.

colorobsession

Don't apply foundation to unmoisturized skin! Even us oily-skinned girls need moisturizer, and your makeup will go on a thousand times better if you use it. 

Also, don't forget to blend, blend, blend! Beyond that, invest in a set of quality makeup brushes, because doing so is can be difficult without them! I've met so many girls who think they're terrible at applying eyeshadow, for example, when really it's just because they're trying to re-create a magazine look with one of those useless foam eyeshadow applicators. Having the right tools can really help you get the most out of your makeup. 

elnxio

DONT DO YOUR MAKEUP IN BAD LIGHTING. i know this seems obvious, but i think it can be kind of hard to determine which lighting is bad or not. do your makeup in a similar lighting to the one youre going to be in for the majority of the day. if its sunlight, do your makeup in a sunlit room. 

Gamergirl24

(0) Hearts

And that is why i hate applying makeup in most hotel room!

beautylovingirl

Don't pass a color up just because it doesn't look like a color you want in the tube or palette, making it your own is how the best products are found.

colorobsession

I totally agree! I think some people shy away from really bright colors because they're afraid they'll make them look clownish, when in reality they end up being beautiful on your skin. It's also so much fun to experiment with color (in my humble opinion, anyway), especially on your eyes. Switching out your regular old black or brown liner or mascara for a color can be such a fun way to change up your look without doing anything too drastic.

prettyinpa

Don't store your makeup in the bathroom. The heat and humidity will cause your products to break down faster than if you stored them someplace dry, like a hall closet or your bedroom.

As for makeup don't go out without sunscreen and don't glop on your foundation. Use a brush or sponge and build up the coverage you need, don't just plop a big glob on your cheek and smoosh it around with your fingers. Just asking for cakeyness and sliding off.

bittersweet86

the makeup storage is a great one I forgot about that. 

missjr

Here are mine:

1)  Don't use a concealer that is too light especially under the eyes.

2)   By the same token, don't wear foundation 1 or 2 shades lighter than your natural skin tone.

3)  Don't over-moisturize the area around the eyes.  I learned the hard way that concealers and foundations travel into the lines that you were trying to conceal in the first place.

4)  Don't be afraid to wear a beautiful pop of color on your lips.  Just stay away from the black lip liner!

5)  Although a smoky eye looks FABULOUS for special events, don't go overboard to the point where you're looking like a raccoon.  

6)  For darker-hued women like myself, don't be afraid to experiment with peaches, pinks and other gorgeous shades on your cheeks.  

prettyinpa

With regards to peaches, peach blush can actually look good on pale skin, you just have to go easy on it and blend a lot. I personally love a peach blush for spring and summer, it really lights up my skin, which I keep as pale as possible with a lot of sunscreen.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 65 replies
  • 121 hearts
  • 30 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • corrin99
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave