MintShake

Makeup Don'ts?

Does anybody have any makeup don'ts, and if so, share on this thread, thanks~ 

makeupmaven

Re: Makeup Don'ts?

[ Edited ]

And please don't contour with blush!

Ok one more-- you don't have to match your makeup to your outfit. Totally fine to use shades in the same color family, but everything being totally matchy matchy looks really contrived, like you are trying too hard.

It's a lot more interesting contrast to have a really dramatic outfit and softer makeup, or vice versa. Play around and see what really flows/ doesn't compete with the other.

bittersweet86

When you say blush do you mean any blush or just blush type shades like peaches or pinks because there are some colors that could be good for contour (or bronzing) that might be labeled as blush. For example a very light brown (true brown) blush might work for me as a contour 

makeupmaven

[ Edited ]

Most people wouldn't do this of course, but I've seen it and it was horrible...combined with cakey foundation on bad skin! FAIL!

If it's a bronzey/ brown color and just called a blush, you're fine..I'm talking actually using a pink or peach (or mauve, etc)/ traditional blush color to contour. A neutral brown shade that is darker than your skintone is fine, but it just shouldn't be something you'd normally put on the apples of your cheeks.

Ooh I thought of another one...when you put on blush, put just a touch on your forehead and chin...when we blush we blush all over, so if you just apply blush to the cheeks it's out of balance!

bittersweet86

Oh yes I totally agree with you then on the pink or peach blush do not contour with it ^_^

makeupmaven

Some of my favorite advice that I think a MAC makeup artist posted on their site-- Makeup doesn't need to be perfect. I am a perfectionist, but it's good to have that human touch and not be 100% perfect.

I also don't like to apply foundation to the forehead (unless you really need to for photos, etc)...it's usually a different shade than the rest of the face and often a different texture...it may wind up looking cakey and unnatural.

On that note, you don't need to apply foundation to every inch of your face. Apply it where you need it and blend well..then it will look more like skin!

bittersweet86

Don't share mascara unless it's with some one you really know and even then it's questionable. Mainly because your eyes are so sensitive and you can't sanitize it at all. 

jennypenny1995

Actually, the moment we touch ANYTHING to our face, it's no longer sterile or sanitized.  (Gross, huh?)  Sorry, all that microbiology I deal in as a nurse still sways how I do things.  = )

bittersweet86

(0) Hearts

Well yes that is very true but at least I can spray 91% alcohol onto a lipstick or eyeshadow and make me think I kind of cleaned it ^_^ 

jennypenny1995

You have no idea how badly it hurts my head to walk past cosmetic counters--even my local Sephora--and see opened products on the countertops with fingerprints in them.  And then...see the counter girls just dip a clean q-tip in them for a client.  Nice!

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

---

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Yes, I do that, too!  It just grosses me out.  Guess I know too much for my own good.

bittersweet86

(0) Hearts

Oh gosh tell me about it that is one reason I've never done a make over at any of my local cosmetic counters and besides the eyeshadows some time I don't swatch anything. What I hate even more is seeing some one test a lipstick or lipgloss on themselves and then just putting the tester back. At least at mac if you ask to test a lipstick they will dunk it in alcohol first for you (though after I test it I usually whip it off my lips anyways) 

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

When I see a lip color get tested by counter girls or a customer just strolling by and testing it, I can't help but think what on earth they've just plopped down onto that wand or tube.  Cold sores.  Or worse...

arielaaaaaaaa

I agree, There is nothing sanitary about them, they should not be used to be actually used on a clients face. They should be there to  simply let you see the color on your hand and thats all. 

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Thank you!  Wish more customers thought this way!

bittersweet86

(0) Hearts

Agree. 

makeupobesessed

Dont go to bed with your makeup on.  At least go for a cleansing wipe.

arielaaaaaaaa

Such a great point! NEVER EVER go to bed without taking makeup off! I get so lazy at night when i'm super tired but i always keep wipes on my night stand.

sephoramusthave

Great thread!

Don't go to sleep with makeup on, don't use dirty brushes on your face, and don't share your makeup.

jennypenny1995

Don't swipe lip color or gloss on your hand and think it'll be that color on your lips.  Your lips are never, ever the color of your arm or hand.

jennypenny1995

Don't use eyeliner as lip liner.  Ever.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 65 replies
  • 121 hearts
  • 30 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • kalex
    • katie1724