Answer
hunniebee
Makeup Beginner as an Adult

In my late 20's, I have finally come to the point in my life where I feel like I should be wearing makeup on a regular basis, but I have no idea what to start with. I am not looking to blow the budget but I am looking to experiment with some looks.

About me: Blond hair, blue eyes, pink undertones in skin. Looking for a natural look that can cover up dark circles under my eyes. Maybe with a little smokey eye. I need something that can be done quickly.

Can anyone help?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 7
tenngal
Answered

Here are a few tips about makeup:

Choosing Eyeshadow Colors

To make blue eyes really stand out, wear an eyeshadow that’s the opposite of your eye shade on the color spectrum.  For instance, peachy brown hues make blue eyes pop.  However, blues eyes and eyeshadow colors vary depending on hair color.

Blondes with blue eyes look best in cool shades such as:

• pale to medium blue
  • pale pink
  • violet
  • purple
  • deep or midnight blue
  • peachy brown

Neutral colors that work for blue-eyed people with any skintone and hair color are:

• peachy brown
  • white
  • grey
  • khaki
  • chocolate brown
  • camel

Urban Decay has great eyeshadow which you can buy individually or in palettes.  You can take a look at their different eye makeup at:  http://sephora.com/browse/brand_hierarchy.jhtml;jsessionid=YI1WP2KLWFJ2KCV0KQNRPIQ?brandId=Urban%20D...

How to Create a Classic Smoky Eye Look
For a classic gray/black smoky eye, just do the following (it's kind of hard to explain in words, but I'll try):

• Use a medium-size round brush to apply powder in an arch shape just above the crease of the lid.  Then blend down to the lash line.
  • Trace the upper lash line with a soft black pencil, then gently smudge with your fingertip.
  • With a smaller, firm-bristle brush, press a gunmetal shade into the lower lash line.
  • Apply a pale silver powder to the inner corners of the eyes to lighten the overall effect.
  • Pile on mascara and you're done.

However, you don't have to do a gray smoky eye all the time—you can substitute purples, etc., for the gray.  But there are tons of ways to do eye makeup and you can find some online tutorials that are helpful.  Sephora's Beauty Talk home page has some great “get-the-look” video tutorials and YouTube has a bunch of different looks, too.

Choosing Blush Colors
Warm complexions look best in yellow-based blush shades like peach and terracotta.  Cool undertones are flattered by blue-based pinks and berries.  To find your perfect cheek color, go to a store that sells paint and has paint samples and pick colors that you think could work as a blush.  Hold the chips up to your face in front of a mirror in natural light and you'll see instantly what brightens your complexion versus what makes it look sallow or gray.  A universally flattering color for all skin tones is a light pink such as Make Up For Ever "Powder Blush" in the color "Candy Pink 85".  You can find this blush on Sephora's website at:  http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P12634&​shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=4028

Applying Foundation

You can use a foundation brush, foundation sponge or your fingers to apply foundation—just whichever feels and works best for you.  There is no right or wrong tool to use to apply it.  Here is a quick explanation of what I do when I apply my foundation:  Just put a little foundation on your fingertip, brush or sponge.  Dot it over the face—on the nose, the cheeks, the chin and the temples and in between the brows.  Using the tips of two fingers, a brush or a small clean, dampened sponge (from which excess water has been removed) to blend the foundation.  Always work from the face outwards, to avoid an accumulation of the foundation around the hairline.  Move from the cheeks to the ears, from between the brows down over the nose, from the chin out towards the jaw, then onto the neck.  Work quickly, carefully and lightly.  Blend well around the hairline, on the neck, below the eyes and behind the ears.  Finally blot the face with a clean dry tissue, pressing it lightly over the skin.

I personally use either my Smashbox foundation brush or my Bobbi Brown foundation brush.  If you decide to use a brush, I think it's important to spend a little extra money to get a good quality brush and it will last for years if you take good care of it and clean it properly.  I use Smashbox brush cleaner, but there are a lot of different brush cleaners that will work just as good.

How to Apply Concealer
The secret to properly applying concealer is to find the right shade and the blend it in so it looks flawless, not obvious. Concealer looks most natural when you work in "sheer layers and build it up gradually.  To properly apply concealer, apply several dots of concealer under the eyes, then use the pad of your ring finger to tap it in (always tap, never rub).  Apply concealer on other uneven spots on your face—including the chin and around the nose and mouth if need be—and tap in. Dust fine, loose powder over your face to set your makeup.

These are just a few tips to help you get started with makeup.  If you have any specific questions, just send me a PM and I'll try to help.  I hope I've helped you at least a little bit. :smileyhappy:

eastakrongirl
Answered

I agree with the answers that suggest bare minerals foundation. Laura Mercier also has a nice mineral pressed powder, it's more easy/convenient to use, but not as natural looking as BE.

For everything else I highly recommed Bare Escentuals make-up kits. This Urban Vibe Fashion Face kit comes with everything you need; base & crease shadows, liner, blush, & gloss, all coordinated & with instructions for only $34. The sizes are small, but it's a great way to get everything you need for a complete face without breaking the bank. You will need a blush brush & eyeshadow brush to apply, but you'll need those eventually anyways.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P266704&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5737

I think the colors will be perfect for your coloring & the lipgloss isn't as bright as it appears. I promise! :smileyhappy:

LJMints
Answered
(0) Hearts

oooo! That's my look too! I love to use soft matte shadows and full-coverage mousse foundation as concealer (because it will set itself, no need for powder! :smileyvery-happy:) I suggest a quad with a cream, tan, taupe, and chocolate brown shadows all in matte, you can apply them sheerly for a soft neutral smokey eye or really amp them up with the chocolate brown at night. Some black mascara, black or brown eyeliner, and a rosy lip and cheek look stunning on blonde hair, blue eyes (like me). I would suggest a cream blush and tinted lip balm, or a lip & cheek cream. Something creamy and rosy would look lovely. I would also suggest a primer or setting spray if you have oily skin, it will help keep it looking fresh and never oily.

jennywawa88
Answered
(0) Hearts

Good things for beginners that can be done quickley, as requested, would be:

~ Luminizing powder (I recomend Two Faced's Candle Light, although it will cost $25 at Sephora for a compact. In my opinion, well worth the money, but each woman much make her own choice.)

~ Blush

~ Lipstick (I recomend going to Ulta for this and buying their store brand Ulta lipstick. They make shimmers, mattes and sheers so you can find any style or look that you want with their lines of colors.)

~ Lipgloss (All the lipglosses I have ever gotten, I got through Avon and I love all of them. So, thats my lipgloss recomendation.)

All of these things can be put on quickly, without a mirror, and are light and subtle enough to NOT look like a drag queen, but in my opinion are also bold enough to say that you, the wearer, are a beautiful woman who has style and taste.

facesbyrachelle
Answered
(0) Hearts

I definitely tell you to begin with palettes provides you with a lot of shadows for you to play with. Test out all brands until I find the one you love

mermadelove
Answered
(0) Hearts

For a flawless but natural look, I recommend Bare Minerals for foundation and face powder.

You can try a get started kit here:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P267207&categoryId=B70

You can pick the color of foundation that you want with this kit.

If you have oily skin I recommend the matte finish. Otherwise, get the original.

For a nice naked eye, you can get this :

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P241303&categoryId=B70

Or for a slightly more dramatic look, this:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P263701&categoryId=B70

For a variety of looks and complete set of products for a great price, I suggest this:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P274606&categoryId=B70

It has gloss, blush, bronzer, eye shadow primer, and a variety of eye shadows from matte and neutral to dramatic and bold. Plus there are cards tht suggest different looks to create to get you started on makeup ideas.

Between the bare essentials foundation kit and this palette, you can be pretty well covered for under $100.

Have fun!

lhaley
Answered
[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I would suggest a mineral make up that you can buff into the skin after moisturizing, as far as concealing under eyes goes, you can use mineral make up but it really depends on the texture of your skin. I like using a brightening wand under my eyes. And for make up, get a pallet like Too Faced' Natural. The colors are easy to use and work with and can easily be changed from day to night look (also it comes with instructions). Also for lips, try Clinique's Almost Lipstick in Black Honey. It is sheer, looks good on all skin tones and is buildable. Hope that helps!

Question Stats
  • 7 answers
  • 3 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • eastakrongirl
    • jennywawa88
    • mermadelove
    • facesbyrachelle
    • hunniebee
    • lhaley
    • LJMints