cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

MAC LOVE AND RELEASES THREAD

~ Updated Feb 5th 2019 ~

Since MAC has so many releases coming I thought we could share this info here and our love for the brand 🙂

Sephora Canada brand page: https://www.sephora.com/brand/mac-cosmetics

AVAILABLE NOW

Lucky Red Lunar New Year

MAC in Monochrome

Hyper Real Glow palettes - online at MAC

Hyper Real Prep Sets - online at MAC

AVAILABLE  NOW AT SEPHORA CANADA

MAC in Monochrome

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/in-monochrome-ruby-woo-P441038

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/in-monochrome-see-sheer-P441039

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/in-monochrome-velvet-teddy-P441040

MAC Lunar New Year - Lucky Red

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/lucky-red-lipstick-P440901

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/lucky-red-powder-blush-duo-P440902

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/lucky-red-129-synthetic-blush-brush-P440903

COMING SOON

Art Library palettes  - Available Feb 14th Nordstrom - Feb 25th MAC select locations

Dazzle Drops - coming soon

Boom Boom Bloom collection - March 7th?

Lightful C Foundation and Concealers

Pro Longwear Long-Last Lips Collection

Strobe Glaze

MAC x Tanya Taylor NYC

Up For Everything Lash mascara

Potential MAC x Lisa Frank collection????

Art Library palettes 

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 11.35.37 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-01 at 4.50.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-01 at 4.50.56 PM.png

Hyper Real Glow palette

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 8.35.49 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-31 at 8.35.59 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-31 at 8.36.23 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-31 at 8.36.33 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-31 at 8.38.00 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-31 at 8.37.33 AM.png

Boom Boom Bloom collection - March 7th?

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 5.47.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-16 at 5.46.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-16 at 5.46.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-16 at 5.46.23 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-08 at 12.22.22 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-08 at 12.23.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-09 at 6.45.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-03 at 3.46.59 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-05 at 2.23.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-05 at 2.23.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-05 at 3.15.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-05 at 2.24.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-05 at 2.25.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-05 at 2.25.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-05 at 2.26.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-05 at 2.26.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-05 at 2.28.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-05 at 2.29.12 PM.png

Dazzle Drops

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 11.58.12 AM.png

Hyper Real Prep Sets

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 3.52.40 PM.png

Lightful C Foundation and Concealers

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 3.51.25 PM.png

Sneak peek - Extra Dimension eye shadows - coming soon

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 2.19.35 PM.png

Sneak Peeks

Spoiler
MAC x Lisa Frank?????
7C4151E6-B0E8-4169-9183-51D0CD25FE3A.jpeg

Tags:

Re: MAC Love and Releases Thread!

I'm torn because I see both sides... 'Vibe tribe' and feathers ( or is that fabric strips?) in the model's hair, etc.

the flip side is that this colorway and this type of Native American inspired geometric pattern was incredibly popular and all over everything back in the 80s. Right or wrong, they have been ingrained in the 'south-west' look... Kind of how words from other cultures and languages become part of the everyday vernacular over time, when does this become the accepted norm of southwest art?

Another example would be all of rock n roll really - rock n roll's roots can totally be tied to African/slave music.  As can gospel and a lot of church music. Yet, rock n roll has become accepted as eminently American (and western world) music and no one blinks an eye at all the myriad ethnicities who perform it. it has become part of the American culture and landscape and a much loved part at that. So, does its roots in cultural appropriation make that a horrible thing? Music and art are the 2 things that transcend cultural boundaries and that are universally part of the human experience

I'd be a lot more upset if there were any religiously / overtly culturally offensive content. But that has yet to be seen. Anyway, while I think the packaging is unbelievably gorgeous - which is a testament to the beauty of Native American art- I'm not even sure I will like any of the actual products so it may be a moot point for me 😛

ETA: there are multiple music groups named vibe tribe and it's also the name of a brand of music speakers. I don't know whether that makes the name more innocuous or more ill though out 😛

I don't think I would have given the patterns a second thought as possible cultural appropriation on their own, because you're totally right about that sort of thing being very southwestern in general. It's the name "Vibe Tribe" and the Native American-esque styling of the models that are making me hesitate. But we'll see how the rest of the marketing plays out, I suppose!

IDK...   They are really pretty and they legit look like something from American Eagle.  But, if they are indeed offensive, I don't want to contribute.

Update:  The tribal print has become so ubiquitous that my teenagers don't think its as cool as it used to be - lol.

I couldn't resist this little outfit as part of a baby shower gift...

image.jpeg

Yeah same. They are indeed gorgeous, but my eyebrow is trying to decide whether to go up or not.

@veronika23 It's more than that. It's like... trivializing aspects of another culture by treating them as a "fun trend" or something, without realizing or appreciating where they come from and what they mean to the people whose culture it is. Which is especially bad/offensive when its done in places or contexts where the relevant source culture have been looked down on or discriminated against for trying to celebrate their culture themselves.

The most egregious example of this that's common is feather headdresses, which are very important social/religious artifacts in the Native cultures that use them - and then people wear them at music festival because they look cool, or to add "exotic flair" by being "tribal." It's offensive even if the person wearing it isn't intending to mock or insult anybody.

Thanks @JazaChai. Ok so I would totally understand what you say about headdresses for sure because I know that they do have meaning... I guess what I am wondering is if patterns and colors are part of art and inspiration is taken from that art to create other art... why would that be cultural appropriation? People take inspiration from everywhere to create things don't they? I am just trying to understand.  I have certain aboriginal items mostly jewelry that I love and wear and I'm not trying to do anything bad. I just love the items and that's why I bought them. 

@veronika23 That's why I say "my eyebrow is trying to decide whether to go up or not." Inspiration isn't necessarily appropriation.

For example, if the corporate or design teams behind this were like "I like these color combinations and patterns, which I happen to have encountered in Native art, and so let's use them for our new line, because I like them and think they are pretty," then maybe that's just fine, though it would be better if they went a step further to "But first I will go ask some actual Native artists or other knowledgeable people whether this is really just a pretty pattern" (patterns can sometimes be pretty significant symbols all on their own, like Scottish tartan for example), and maybe also an actual collaboration or consultation with Native artists who already do work with that aesthetic. (That last one seems pretty obvious here, where MAC already does collabs out the wazoo.)

By contrast, a line/design where the team is actively trying to evoke a "tribal" aesthetic for the cool value of being "tribal" - that's appropriation. Even if the patterns and colors don't have the same symbolic weight or religious or social significance as a headdress, you're using someone else's culture as a cool trendy thing. Especially in a context where actual members of that culture emphatically do NOT get cool points for their membership in it, that's trivializing and therefore offensive.

In other words, it's about the context. I think it would be possible to have a line that looked exactly like this one that wasn't appropriative, and also one that looked just like this and was extremely so. It depends on the marketing surrounding it, and also on who exactly is participating.

For example, if you either say "look at these springy colors and geometric patterns that are aesthetically pleasing! Straight lines are IN!" thereby not referencing anyone's culture at all, or if you go all the way to the other side and do use cultural references for the cool factor, but you do it by doing a collab with, e.g., a Navajo artist who uses turquoise and feathers in her art because she's working from a long tradition that she's personally familiar with (and therefore knows which things are meaningful and therefore offensive to trivialize, and which things are just colors), that's one thing. If you have a bunch of non-Native marketing execs just wanting to do something "tribal" and therefore "cool" because it will sell with the festival kids, and you throw feathers and "southwestern" colors at it because that's what you think of as "tribal," then that's something else.

Considering the "Vibe Tribe" tag line, the mention of trying to tie into music festivals like Coachella, and nothing to indicate the participation of any Native artists, designers, or models, from a brand that does a crud-ton of collabs... I'm going with Door #2. (Yeah, in writing this post my eyebrow decided definitively on the "up" position.)

tl;dr - context matters, so we'll have to see whether MAC does this well or poorly. I'm not optimistic.

@JazaChai Thanks for the explanation. Maybe it wasn't as well thought out as it should be but to my knowledge MAC would never purposely want to offend anyone. They are about including all kinds of people, their art and passion. They aren't trying to be the "cool" kid.

This is taken directly from MAC - Their tag line:

M·A·C celebrates diversity and INDIVIDUALITY – we are for All Ages, All Races, All Sexes.

Someone in another forum posted that it has a very southwestern feel. Like if you pick up an southwestern magazine that's the type of things you would see. Now I don't know much about the southwest but it did sound like it's part of the culture... I don't even know if I'm explaining it properly. This will sounds weird but you know different type of houses for different parts of the country? That's what I meant by culture. It has that southwestern feel... ugh I'm rambling because I can't express properly what I wanna say. Like for us here in Canada... the east coast doesn't look like the west coast, they have different feels/vibes to them. So that's what I meant by southwest feel.

I don't think anything official has been released yet so we shall see.

I don't understand why? I thought cultural appropriation is if you are making fun/mocking a culture... Isn't it?

Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 6.53.13 PM.png

Last time the 226 came out I bought one for my sister and one for me. It's a really great brush, but I have found a dupe for it in the MUG Pointed Crease Brush. It's not perfect though, so I'll probably be picking up some extra 226s this time around.

The 226 brush!!! That's my HG crease brush. I'm going to have to buy two. 

Yeah a lot of people are so happy it's coming back... I looked at my stash and I can't believe I don't own it 😞  It's double ended though... and I hate double ended brushes!

Striking!

The more I see this collection the more I want it.

New collections are live!

• FUTURE MAC
  • FUTURE FORWARD: HALSEY
  • VERSICOLOUR STAINS
  • NEW MINERALIZE SKINFINISH

How does releases work on Mac's website? Usually I'm not crazy about ordering LE things and do store pick through macys and Nordstrom, but with the good shipping promo I want to order direct. If something says coming soon, does that mean I missed it or it hasn't been released yet?

@misscg No it's coming soon 😉 So most LE releases launch between just before 9am EST and 9:30am EST. Sometimes it can launch later in the day like 11:30am but that's usually if they have problems... the last few years/releases have consistently released at 9am EST. 🙂

Yay thanks, lol. I think I want one of the new skinfinishes and otherworldly.

yeah 3 different releases today I think. I want the grey halsey lipstick and otherearthly 😉 I know I want more but I might wait for The Bay counters here to get it.

That's how I feel too. I'd rather want to see it in person first next week than impulse order. And it gets overwhelming and expensive to keep up (I'm looking at the vibe tribe pics like I need everything in that collection!!)

1 Reply
testing