Answer
stephaniepal
Look my Age

Hello, I am turning 18 in less than a month and I look like I am 14/15 years old. Today I was asked if I was 12. Needless to say, I wasn't happy. Does anybody have some advice on different ways I can wear make up to look my age or anything that would help me look my age?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
katie1724
Answered
[ Edited ]

What makeup do you currently use, or what is your routine? I always found that a little eyeliner along the top lid (and maybe 1/5 of the bottom lid) made me look a little older (it defines the eye shape). I would steer clear of bright eyeshadows and go for more muted neutrals for an older / more professional appearance. Mascara / dark lashes can seem older, too, and I would try a neutral or darker neutral lipstick (NARS Dolce Vita, for instance) instead of pale or bright pink shades.

Bone structure and face shape are significant factors, too; if you have a rounder face shape and fuller cheeks, your features will probably always read young, but you can contour your cheekbones and jawline using bronzer or a brown blush to add definition. (There are many good tutorials re: how to contour your face; I really like Lisa Eldridge and Wayne Goss on YouTube if you do a search for contouring.)

Lastly -- you probably really don't want to hear this now, but in a few short years you will be thankful for your youthful appearance! I used to get so annoyed when I occasionally had to provide ID for R-rated movies into my early 20s, but now it makes me sad if I don't get carded at bars or buying wine at the grocery store (which is silly; I do get carded 9 times out of 10, but when you're over 30, you can't really be offended if you're not!).

stephaniepal
(0) Hearts
Well I switch between two eyeshadow palettes. I use Urban Decay's Naked in the day time and use Urban Decay's Smoked for night time or special occasions. I use a coral lipstick that is very close to my natural lip color. I've never really used foundation because I normally don't get blemishes so if someone could point me in the right direction for that that would be great. I also have naturally curly eyelashes so I don't curl them and I do use mascara. I know when I am older I will love looking younger but right now not so much. I am going to start college in the fall, I don't like being thought of as a freshmen in high school.
Question Stats
  • 8 answers
  • 20 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • carrierose
    • mafan
    • roxystar4
    • lovelyred139
    • garnett
    • Spyski
    • Daniela1387