Let's talk about men.

Spyski

Let's talk about men.

Sometimes it aint easy splurging on beauty products when you have a "peeper" awaiting at the door when the UPS man arrives before you get home to hide your Sephora box somewhere safe in a dark place until the coast is clear :smileywink:

*Life would be a little easier if Sephora didn't advertise it's name on their shipping boxes* lol

Anyway, I know some of us has had their man give the "Why are spending your money on beauty products speech" before and was wondering what the culprit to this was since our men have their own interests they spend money on which makes them happy and so do we. Hehe

My question is, what does your honey think about your makeup routine? Does he get annoyed if you spend too much time on your face every morning? Does he prefer an au natural look, a colorful unique look, a dark mysterious look, a sultry sex goddess look, etc. What I'm trying to say here is that many of us play up our looks and our partners don't even like it. For instance, I have a pretty natural makeup look, but like playing my red lips up. I love highly pigmented lipsticks and sometimes it can be very transferable which is a BIG no-no in the relationship world. Is there anything about makeup or the way you apply makeup that your man dislikes, but you absolutely love? 

poshified

Re: Let's talk about men.

(0) Hearts

Well-said! :smileyhappy:

Spyski

Purrrfect advice! 

poshified

I wholeheartedly agree!

makeupmaven

[ Edited ]

I ship everything to work...I'm a sephora store shopper (I like instant gratifcation)...but for all my other online purchases, since I live in an apartment in San Francisco it's way more convenient to ship to work.

And my husband can't really complain...I actually used to spend a lot more on cosmetics. Since we've been together over 10 years, split bills (married over 3 years, lived together most of that time) in half and I have no credit card debt (and make more), he really can't complain. If I run out of $, then yes, he can. He's good about making me save money for trips, and I've been better about following a budget.

And getting ready-wise, when we first go together when I was 20, I would take an hour to put my makeup on. Now I keep it simple, and even when we go out I don't take that long. He loves his mens products too so I think we're all good!

kalex

I occasionally will get, "You cannot possibly need more crap" when a Sephora or other beauty company box shows up on the porch, but for the most part he keeps quiet.  Sometimes motorcycle or RC car parts show up a few days later so I think he might have a "**bleep** for tat" thing going on.

My husband doesn't say much about what kind of makeup I wear either.  He told me in the past that he thinks I look the same with or without it.  I found that incredibly insulting. (I look like hell without makeup!)

Spyski

Your post made me laugh, but in a good way :smileyvery-happy:

Sounds like my boyfriend and his auto parts...

I think I catch him on auto forums WAY more than I'm on here, and I'm on here quite a bit as of lately. Yikes, I can't stand when I get that insult compliment as well! I remember a couple years ago when I started getting into makeup, he asked me what's all that black crap on my eye lashes. I'm like HELLO mascara...you really think all those girls at college have naturally pigmented kohl black eyelashes?! Sheesh. He's come along way now though so it's all gravy. 

kalex

Oh my gosh.  It bleeped, T.I.T.  Ha!

sephoralovex

My bf doesn't mind that I'm literally in love with makeup haha. He knows whenever we make a stop at the mall, we will always have to visit Sephora. I don't think he minds that I wear makeup. He's never said anything about it. But I know that if we have somewhere to go and we're on a time crunch. I better hurry putting my makeup on or he wont be too happy! I try not to wear lipstick because like others mentioned it's transferable and a no-no in the relationship world :smileyhappy: Either way I'm not much of a lippie gal so isn't much of a problem. BUT, if I do wear lipstick it's usually my favorite one from NARS and thank goodness it doesn't transfer! He does think I have a little too much makeup but also knows it's what I love and enjoy so let's me do whatever haha

nebel

My husband has gotten into products himself. I got him a Birchbox Man subscription, and he loves it.  He regularly purchases from higher end brands now, and is picky about what he likes!

And, I probably sound like a jerk for saying this, but I'm honestly not sure what his "preference" of makeup on me is because I've never asked in four years of marriage.  I wear what I like.  He compliments me on my eyeshadow or lipstick when we go out, so I assume he likes it. 

LCResz

Agree with the Brichbox Men! My hubby has grown out quite a beard and he loves the Mr. Natty line of products, as well as my Josie Maran oil and my Soap & Glory 3-in-1 wash... wait a minute, he's as spoiled as I am, lol!

emmaclaire

I love that Soap & Glory face wash but I got an email saying Sephora will no longer be stocking the larger size.  What the heck?!  Why would they keep carrying the tiny one, especially if the brand isn't discontinuing the product?  Strange stuff!

nebel

My husband has become such a shaving cream snob!!!!  And moisturizer! He actually uses Algenist eye cream too!

Spyski

I'm sure he likes whatever you like if he hasn't said anything in particular. That Birchbox Man subscription sounds pretty interesting although my boyfriend is dead set on NOT being into anything beauty/skincare related. However, I did get him to like the Jack Black hand cream last winter which I bought for myself and I'm pretty sure it's in his shaving bag lol

Kiki1517

My boyfriend actually likes that I wear makeup and that I put in the extra time to look nice, just not if it's running into his time and making us late haha! I think it's funny how most guys say that they like the "natural" look, but when they try to point it out in a picture, that "natural" look actually took alot of work! He would probably be horrified at how much I have spent on beauty products, but he spends way more on soccer equipment so who cares? 

Spyski

Yes I agree, the "natural" look can be just as time consuming and just as costly unless that means natural in no makeup at all which is just meh in my opinion. 

Kiki1517

Right? I haven't met many women my age these days that even prefers to wear no makeup at all.

veevali

I recently told my boyfriend about vib rouge and he was shocked that I would of qualified last year for sure. I'm not really close yet this year, and he was pretty happy about that. Although I might be by the end of the year, I'm a big fan of the holiday kits :smileyhappy:

I kinda feel embarrassed about how much I spend/spent, but I love it. I do like to hide my sephora bags & boxes though... It's not a source of conflict but I do think if I qualify for vib rouge I would keep him in the dark just so he doesn't judge.

He does hate the lipstick and I was wondering how other people deal with that. I told him he's just gotta get use to it! When we first started dating I basically never wore any makeup so it's a big change.

Spyski

(0) Hearts

Personally I don't think VIB Rouge is worth it, the benefits don't seem all that great especially for me since the nearest Sephora is a couple hours away. Waaa! When we first started dating I knew little about makeup and didn't wear that much either, so I understand the change. 

annonymous1

(0) Hearts

i told my boyfriend about making VIB rouge and he actually wasent surprised at all, i got through mascara like water, and concealer, and i constantly buy new things, he said everything is so expensive there, its really not a surprised just between restocking my makeup and everything else i wasent surprised either. 

i mean i can't judge it yet, its not out, when it comes out we'el see, i mean it'd be worth it if we got full sizes of things instead of samples or deluxe samples

Meg82

I don't have a gf or a bf but my Sephora habit does cause a little drama with my parents, with whom I live.  I am pretty bad with money (though I always have enough set aside each month to handle my bills) and I have a lot of debt from school and from the 5 years I spent below the poverty line because of my job.  My dad would prefer I worked my debt down aggressively rather than spending money at Sephora.  It's probably a good idea, but everybody has a hobby and this is mine.  I try to remind him of all the money he spends on golf (he is a HUGE golf spender, new clubs, new clothes, playing 3x a week) and he usually relaxes.

I'm planning a no buy August and I think that will make him chill out a little too.

Spyski

(0) Hearts

Always nice to get right back at em, in your case the money spent on your dad's hobby which is golf. A no buy month is a great way to self-discipline yourself and save with the support of other BTers. I haven't joined one just yet, but August seems like the perfect month for me since I need to save up for my car insurance. BLAH! That means splurge on July 31st :smileywink:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 76 replies
  • 186 hearts
  • 28 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • kalex
    • DTalksAll
    • emmaclaire
    • sephoralovex
    • mrsbridger