Let's talk about men.

Spyski

Let's talk about men.

Sometimes it aint easy splurging on beauty products when you have a "peeper" awaiting at the door when the UPS man arrives before you get home to hide your Sephora box somewhere safe in a dark place until the coast is clear :smileywink:

*Life would be a little easier if Sephora didn't advertise it's name on their shipping boxes* lol

Anyway, I know some of us has had their man give the "Why are spending your money on beauty products speech" before and was wondering what the culprit to this was since our men have their own interests they spend money on which makes them happy and so do we. Hehe

My question is, what does your honey think about your makeup routine? Does he get annoyed if you spend too much time on your face every morning? Does he prefer an au natural look, a colorful unique look, a dark mysterious look, a sultry sex goddess look, etc. What I'm trying to say here is that many of us play up our looks and our partners don't even like it. For instance, I have a pretty natural makeup look, but like playing my red lips up. I love highly pigmented lipsticks and sometimes it can be very transferable which is a BIG no-no in the relationship world. Is there anything about makeup or the way you apply makeup that your man dislikes, but you absolutely love? 

Spyski

Re: Let's talk about men.

Depends on the guy I suppose. Just be YOU :smileyhappy:

onomotopoeia9

[ Edited ]

smart point!!! its impossible to please anyone so might as well feel good and do based on personal preference

mommyto4

I am like most on here.  My husband doesn't say anything.  I take that as he doesn't really mind.  Plus whenever there are samples for men available I get them for him since I don't need anymore!  Plus he spends about 300 a year on stuff for himself from Sephora.  I think he should be happy that after 14 years of marriage I still try to look good.  I haven't given up yet :smileyvery-happy:

DesertRose0706

my boyfriend always points out thigs he doesn;t like about my makeup on the days I actually put a lot of effort into and use all the products that i should be using on a daily basis.  He definetely likes a more natural makeup look on me.

And every time i wear Benefits Cha Cha Tint he says he doesn;t like me with orange clown lips, lol.  And it's only a tint!  This is especially frustrating for me because i love it and i really like coral colors right now :smileysad:

DTalksAll

My boyfriend lets me take my time to get ready, he knows I don't like to leave the house without a few products on. If we're going out or have an event he understands I need at least an hour for makeup & hair, and always complements me on my work. He links winged liner & neutral or purple smokey eyes, but can't stand black smokey eyes. I rarely wear lipstick (like never) only gloss and stains, which he likes but can't understand why I own 20 NARS lip glosses. He actually makes fun of me more for my skincare obsession than makeup.  

As far as spending goes... I used to plan my shipments so they arrive when he's not home, but I recently found out he gets e-mail notifications for all UPS deliveries to our house due to the UPS shipping thingy. EEK!!!! I do hide bags in my closet or car until he's not around. Not because I feel guilt for spending my money, but because I hate making excuses for my purchases LOL! I took him into Sephora with me once to get him a cologne during fragrance 3x points. He was the worst enabler... never again are we doing that together. 

As long as our bills are paid, we can travel, enjoy life & not tap into savings he doesn't care where or how I spend our money. 

DoctorsMrs

Sneaking purchases or hiding packages sounds like trouble to me. I'm not about to get preachy here but if you're covering anything up in a marriage, big or small, it might be a good idea to evaluate the situation.

My husband couldn't care less what I order online or how much I haul home from the stores while he's working. Ask him to actually go shopping with me though and that's where the whining starts :smileyhappy:  I not only buy all of my own personal items but I buy all of his as well. The man hasn't picked out so much as a pair of socks or a toothbrush since we met. Come to think of it, I even picked out his last car and had it delivered. I think he's literally afraid of shopping. 

He's always happy with what I wear. He makes a point of saying so. And no, he's not afraid of lipstick. Frankly he seems to enjoy making a mess out of it :smileyhappy:

Spyski

Hehe I agree with the sneakiness and was meant to be a joke hence the *wink* mark following. We're nudists. We don't hide anything...Not really, but hey maybe one day when I've grown old :smileyvery-happy:

I chuckled at your "lipstick mess"

DoctorsMrs

WINK WINK 

My husband would love if we were nudists!  No clothing shopping for sure :smileyhappy:

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

*cough* well, since we are on the topic, there's something I'm really curious about. So taking off clothe usually means "come hither". So if you are a nudist and want to do the sexy luring guys thing, do you....put on clothe?

I dunno, that was just something random that popped into my head. Feel free to ignore.

wingatprsct

With tear filled eyes from spontaneous laughter, I posed your question to my husband, who replied, "Well, with the guys, it's easy to tell!"

DoctorsMrs

I was sitting here enjoying a nice fruit salad when I read "come hither". I nearly choked to death on a piece of cantaloupe. Now I'm just replaying it in my head in various accents.

Spyski

Grrreat. Now I'm going to have dreams of nudists eating fruit salads enticing partners WITH clothes on *cough* loin cloths on.

DoctorsMrs

Haha. Not the worst dream ever :smileyhappy:

rikkie

Hah, my husband hates shopping too. I really enjoyed picking out all the options on his car and he was thrilled when it was delivered. He doesn't understand that shopping can be a hobby though, he just thinks people only buy things because they NEED them.

When he sees that I have make up but I'm buying more he doesn't get why, haha. When I explained it to him, that it was enjoyable and a hobby and he should be grateful I don't expect him to be interested and watch me like he wants me to watch him play hockey or whatever he likes to do at the moment, he was suddenly much happier to let me do my own thing! :smileyvery-happy: 

beautylovingirl

I have one of the best husbands in the world. He always says "You look good babe." With that being said we have respect for each other on spending. We're in a really good place so he never says anything about what I buy. I guess all in all he likes all my makeup looks because he's never said anything negative.

poshified

I don't think I can ever be with a man who complains about how long it takes for me to get ready, whether I'm wearing too much makeup, or spending too much on makeup, etc. I once told an ex that if he mentioned my taking my time to get ready, I'm just going to show up in an oversized tshirt and sweat pants with no makeup and see how he'd like how presentable I look that way. That shut him up rather quickly :smileyvery-happy:

For me, I respect my man to spend his money on his needs -- ahem, tech gadgets and the like. Likewise, I demand my respect on my purchasing all things feminine-related.

nebel

^ This.

It is one thing to be considerate to a partner's needs, live within a budget, function in a partnership, etc etc.

It is another to change who you are and what you like because someone "doesn't like it" 

mafan

I agree completely.  If you are spending more than you have in available funds and going into debt while accumulating too much "anything" (makeup, tech gadgets, video games, hobby supplies, expensive meals, shoes, you name it), then that's a problem.  It's definitely something you should be discussing with any partner or person with whom you share financial responsibility.  (If you can't pay the rent, put gas in the car to get to work/school, eat properly, care for a child, etc, you shouldn't be buying anything else as an alternative, in my opinion.)

After that, it's important to be on the same page on spending for a relationship to work.  Some people need to save every penny, others have a "fun" budget, some spend every extra penny and get by.  If you're not on the same page, I don't care what you're buying, it's really going to hurt the relationship.

After that, I think that mutual respect is very important.  What you like and what a partner likes doesn't have to be the same.  Then again, taking someone's opinion into account can help, too.  You can always choose to ignore it, but maybe you get some insight into how others see you and what someone likes, and decide to make changes.  (Doesn't always work.  I've told my husband I'm bored with his cologne and want him to switch to something else he has, and he's still determined to finish that bottle off first! :smileyhappy: )

Expecting to completely change someone, or their expecting you to completely change is crazy.

Oh, I do think time is something that needs to be respected, too.  If you're constantly late for things because you take a long time to get something done, that is a problem.  My sister does that and drives people nuts.  If you want to start getting ready 3 hours early because that's what it takes for you to get ready and that's how you want to spend your time, go for it!  (Okay, I'm exaggerating, but I know that if I want time to put on makeup, I need to get up earlier, not expect my husband to be waiting for me and be late for work if we're sharing a car.  My choice, I make the time.  Then again, I also expect him to stop playing games so that we can leave on time to get somewhere, too.)

poshified

I absolutely can't stand folks who are always fashionably late -- very inconsiderate! If it's a special occasion, and I know I want to look good, I will definitely set aside extra time to get ready -- whether it be getting up earlier, etc :smileyhappy:

OMG, good luck trying to have your husband try a new cologne! :smileyhappy: Acqua Di Gio gets my vote! From the number of guy friends I have, I only know of one who has a collection of cologne. To him, each cologne goes with a certain individual, so he wears a different one depending on the person he's out with, haha.

mafan

Oh, he has other colognes.  He even has some very nice colognes.  I've even snagged him bottles of things that were no longer available (D&G Masculine) with accompanying deodorant, which he likes.  It's just for some reason he seems determined to finish off the Bvlgari Black before he uses something else.  If it's a special occasion he'll use the Guerlain Homme, but he saves that because it was expensive. :smileyhappy:  The last one he worked through was Bvlgari Red Tea, which was much spicier.

He likes cologne and wears it every day; I just can't really smell this one for some reason.  (And I like a couple of the others better.)  Oh well, he has a lot of Bvlgari Aqua so hopefully he'll move on to that eventually.  He even said he'd switch; he's just a creature of habit.  I gave him one of the Sephora Fragrance Samplers but it's been sitting for a year and half now.  Knowing him, he'll decide to try it out and pick something they no longer carry!

(Yes, you did notice a trend.  We do seem to pick up fragrances when we're on vacation at Epcot, and he likes the Bvlgari selection at the Italian Pavilion.  I'm rather fond of it myself.)

Don't get me started on fashionably late.  My sister told my mom she'd come visit in the afternoon.  Unfortunately, her idea of afternoon was 6pm.  I gave up on her being on time for Christmas years ago and we just open gifts at the agreed on time.  I think she's only missed a meal once. :smileyhappy:

sephoralovex

I agree with everything. Especially the funds part. If you are in a serious relationship, married or not. In my opinion I believe that you and your partner should speak about funds, how much can be spent on whatever, rent, food, etc. It shouldn't be like 'well this is my money because i work so i can do what i want with it' Might as well be off on your own then! Haha. Like Mafan said, eventually it will hurt your relationship if you are only thinking about yourself. Just my own two cents :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 76 replies
  • 186 hearts
  • 28 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • kalex
    • DTalksAll
    • emmaclaire
    • sephoralovex
    • mrsbridger