Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

Let's Talk About NARS!

A lot of the other big beauty brands have their own threads now, so I thought, why not NARS? Let's share news about new collections, feedback on products, etc here.

The audacious thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Lips/Show-Me-Your-Audacious-Collection/m-p/1695820#M10941

SPRING 2019:

Spoiler

5B03C763-5B66-43D5-B5CD-CAD2FFB20D6A.png4B8872CB-9B16-4C47-A6A8-A5A5EB2C60B9.png0343224C-CB77-46EC-86C7-1E6ECEF0E4E2.pngD1989960-1CCB-41F1-8BC9-A04A37EEA659.png75A2963F-9578-4410-B0E9-5F9A2E8C0EC2.png2D212BE6-6675-4764-A909-009E6B40173B.pngB41A18B5-0E0F-4B2F-930C-6AD6D4324D72.png

APRIL 2019: NARS x CONNOR TINGLEY

Spoiler

Have you picked up anything from the collection so far? Do tell!

Re: Let's Talk About NARS!

@Mocha: Sadly, we were Mr. Dressup bereft.

@Michelle: OMG.

Those all look so beautiful Mocha!

I was wondering if you mind giving me some advice - I am working on building my makeup collection and wanted to get some Nars this fall - so far I only have 2 multiples.  Do you think that the DI blush is too intense for a light complexion (towards fair/light in the dead of winter).  Any recommendations on must haves if I were to buy a couple of items - eyeshadows, lips, blush - from either the SK x Nars Collection or the regular stuff?  I am just getting back into makeup so don't have much, and still tend towards less adventurous looks.  Sorry for the long questions, but any advice from you or others on this thread would be greatly appreciated!  You all seem so knowledgeable with this so I wanted to ask the experts - I have been lurking on this board for awhile now but still don't know what I should be getting 🙂

Hi northbaylynx, welcome!

So for starters before I make any recommendations - what color of multiples do you have?  This will give me a sense of your taste, so to speak 🙂

I think there are definitely pieces of this collection that could work for every skintone and taste in makeup.  

So, do let me know and we can go from there 😉

Thanks Mocha!

I have Maui, and the Matte Multiple in Laos, and those tend to be the only blushes I use right now.

For eyes I have been using the Naked Basics pallete, but I am ready for something a little more exciting now:) 

I seem to change my mind every day of what I think I should get - I had my eyes on the Narsisst DI Eyeshadow pallete, and now that the SK x Nars collection is out I like the looks of the DI blush, Stud eyeshadow and the Dolce Vita lip set.  Also keep looking at blushes, highlights, contour - too many beautiful options!

Ok, so Maui and Laos... those are both slightly dusty rose pinks.

So, I definitely think the DI blush could still work for you.  The beauty of the DI blushes is they can be sheer or intense depending on how you apply them.  And when buffed in, this one is a lovely rosy cheek from the cold kind of color.  That said, the highlighting side of this pan is gold and has very fine glitter.  So, it will probably depend if glitter is your cup of tea or not.  If not, I would probably recommend the Despair blush palette.  It has a great mix of colors, and they all seem to be light enough that they could work for you.  

In terms of things to recommend from the collection, I think Stud is fantastic.  It is a beautiful neutral taupey gray, but then it has tiny pinpricks of micro glitter in it that catch the light and could also work for festive looks.  Since you mentioned you've been using Naked Basics, I'd say the DI shadow palette could be a good choice, since it has some subdued colors, plus a really rich burgundy and black (both of which can be applied sheerly)

Dolce Vita is a color that looks great on everyone, so I think that could be a great choice for you, too.  It is a lovely neutral pink.  The other thing I would suggest to consider if not the Dolce Vita set is the Killer Heels mini lipstick kit.  You get 5 lipsticks in a range of colors, and that might help to build out your collection.  However, I guess it depends if those colors are in your wheelhouse.  

Do let me know if you have any other questions.

ETA: Since you mentioned the Narcissist DI palette, I actually think that might work better for you over the SKxNARS DI shadow palette.  It has more colors, for one, and it is also a more useable mix than this 4 pan one is.  Not that this LE one isn't beautiful, but I think you'd probably get more wear out of the Narcissist DI, since those colors are probably more flattering for a fairer skin tone/not too adventurous looks.

That's great, thanks Mocha!

I will have to check out swatches of the Killer Heels and decide between that and Dolce Vita.  Do you think that if I get the Narcissist DI Palette to pass on Stud?

One more question, may be silly but shows how little I know - the lightest shade in the Despair Palette - would that be used as a highlight and does it have a lot of shimmer?  I think I will have to decide between that palette and the DI Blush in Vengeful.

Also - in past experiences how quickly do these sell out at Sephora? Is it something I should jump on as soon as they are released?

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!

No problem!  Happy to help 🙂

Hmm, that's a tough one.  Personally, Stud and the DI blush are my 2 favorite pieces of the whole collection, so while I would recommend Stud, it depends if you like glitter.  The DI Narcissist shadow palette is soft shimmer, but Stud is a bit moreish with the glitter included.  If you like glitter, I would heartily recommend it.

So the colors in the Despair palette (I have swatches down below) the lightest shade Nico is a matte highlighting blush, yes.  It is a nice color to use for natural highlighting, without looking like a disco ball.  It's also good for layering over top of blushes that might have gotten too overenthusiastic.

As for the LE collections, there has been quite a bit of buzz around this one because of the packaging, so I would likely recommend jumping on it if the items you want come in the special photographic packages.  Things like the shadow singles shouldn't sell out right away, but for reference, the eyeshadows from the summer collection sold our very, very fast.  

Usually how I prioritize is if there are things that are must haves for me I buy them right away, and any maybes/nice to haves I wait for a sale or until I can swatch in person.

Thanks for the advice Mocha, I will have some tough choices to make.

Hopefully I will have some Nars products to post in the November haul thread :). 

I'll just leave this here 🙂

1007152image.jpeg

Be still, my heart!

1007154image.jpeg

1007155image.jpeg

ETA: First impressions.

First picture is the eyeshadows - Stud, Never Too Late, and the DI palette

Second picture is the DI blush, and the Despair palette

My immediate standouts are Stud and Vengeful DI blush.  They are both so gorgeous.  

The texture of the Despair palette is a little firmer than I'm used to.  It took a bit of force to get a swatch from it.  I'm wondering if perhaps these are the same 'new' blush formula that was used for the NARS x Christopher Kane collection.  

Never Too Late (the khaki shadow) looks similar to another NARS khaki I already have (Fuji), so I don't find it terribly unique.  

DI shadows are consistent in texture with the first DI shadow palette, and singles.

Is there fallout with Stud?

annypoo, I did not find any fallout with it, but I applied it with my finger.

Thanks a ton for the swatches, Mocha! I really like the blushes, I may be in trouble..

So the DI blush looks amazing. If I was only to get one thing from the collection, that would definitely be it...

I was most interested in the two palettes but now I'm not so sure about them - thank you for this!

Would you say Stud is unique enough to pickup? Swatches I've seen, made it look like a fairly standard pewter but I know how IRL it can be wayy different.

njattana, Stud is different, so only you will be able to decide if it's a good one for you, I think. 

If I could compare it to anything, it is similar in finish to the NARS Christopher Kane Outer Limits single, where it has lots of tiny celestial-type glitter within the pewter base.  I know that particular shadow was very divisive, and I find this to be similar to how Outer Limits looked all the times I swatched it.  

I am happy with it since I never got Outer Limits, but if you don't like things that are a touch glittery, it probably won't be for you.

That's perfect, I love Outer Limits so knowing how this one compares helps - thanks!

This is awesome, Mocha. Thank you so much for photos and swatches! Based on your swatches, I can happily skip both palettes. I will definitely buy 'Stud' and the DI blush... And maybe the white shadow if there's room in the budget. 🙂

Thanks for the swatches!!!  What to do... what to do lol

They got your order to you so quick, especially considering all the hassle they put you through.  The DI blush looks gorgeous - do you think it would work on fair-light skin?  

13 Replies
testing