Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

Let's Talk About NARS!

A lot of the other big beauty brands have their own threads now, so I thought, why not NARS? Let's share news about new collections, feedback on products, etc here.

The audacious thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Lips/Show-Me-Your-Audacious-Collection/m-p/1695820#M10941

SPRING 2019:

Spoiler

5B03C763-5B66-43D5-B5CD-CAD2FFB20D6A.png4B8872CB-9B16-4C47-A6A8-A5A5EB2C60B9.png0343224C-CB77-46EC-86C7-1E6ECEF0E4E2.pngD1989960-1CCB-41F1-8BC9-A04A37EEA659.png75A2963F-9578-4410-B0E9-5F9A2E8C0EC2.png2D212BE6-6675-4764-A909-009E6B40173B.pngB41A18B5-0E0F-4B2F-930C-6AD6D4324D72.png

APRIL 2019: NARS x CONNOR TINGLEY

Spoiler

Have you picked up anything from the collection so far? Do tell!

Re: Let's Talk About NARS!

I think its maybe an ingredient. Ive only depotted 1 mac e/s and like a dozen UD. I only buy pans now to create less hassle but i had so many bare minerals duos/quads. I only kept like 5 and either sold/trade or gave away the rest. just makes life easier lol

I like to think the shadows in my zpalette are friends too!  I told them to play nice with the lone MAC shadow, lol!  Thanks for all the pics annec!  It's really helpful!

Oh, it's cardboard?? 😞

I thought it would be metal like the MUFE ones.

Nope, its not metal.  It is a very firm cardboard wrapped in a black cover with a fine, bumpy texture.  Its reminiscent of the feeling of a journal/notebook.

The custom palettes are live on the Nars site!

The measurements of the small one ($14) are approx 7x5 and the large one ($18) is approx 9x7.  This makes the small one almost as big as the large Z palette (8x5, $20) and the large one is bigger than the xlarge z palette (8x6, $28).  Therefore, these are a much better value assuming the quality will be comparable and one doesn't mind the loss of the clear window in the lid.

palette-size-selector.gif

There is also 5% back on ebates, free shipping as always and a free lip pencil with any purchase (excluding sharpeners, sponges, pumps, and empty compacts).

TOA_AF1.jpg

I just got a large palette...I'm excited to try it out!

what are ebates, how do they work and how do you get set up for them?

I was debating getting a few of these to depot my blush collection into, but when I went onto their website and used the build your own tool to figure out how many will fit into a palette, it looks like only the small palette is an exact fit for the blush pans (fitting 9)

The large palette fits 12 blush pans, but then has all this weird space on the side edge that is empty.  I also calculated I will need at least 4 palettes to depot my regular sized collection, which made me close the browser and walk away :S

Anne, let me know what you think when you get yours?  

I don't know if I'd want to pay $17 USD for shipping. 

Yeah, there's that, too.

I have a mental threshold of items I need to buy before I am willing to accept the $17 shipping.

I will not pay $17 for one item.  4-5 items I feel somewhat comfortable with.  They really need to get on the free shipping after a certain spend though.  

I only want 1 eyeshadow refill, maybe I should just see if I can trade with someone.

Sure lol & I will post a pic...I'm actually surprised you would only need 4...that's not so bad really

4 palettes would cover my blush collection.

I'm not even taking into account depotting my shadows...

okay, so not to sound like a fool, but when people talk about deporting blushed and eyeshadows, how/what are you doing?  just popping them out of a case and adding a stick on magnet?  Is it more complex than that?

You need a heat source to melt the glue that binds the product to its original packaging.  Then the product needs to be pried out in a way that does not cause uneven pressure, which will crack the product,  Most products have a metal pan already, so they do not need anything else in order to stick to a magnetized palette.

Oh....yes, that would make more sense 🙂

can you recommend a you tube video or a particular description of a step by step method that might help a beginner try it out?

Instructions:

Spoiler
My preferred method for depotting is the oven or, in my case, a convection oven. I use the warm setting for about 4 minutes then slide a knife in and try to gently pry the product out. If it doesn't come out easily, I put it back in for a couple minutes. The point is to melt or degrade the adhesive so the product comes out without much force at all. Cracks will happen from time to time and can be fixed by applying rubbing alcohol (I use an ear dropper) and light pressure with your finger. Also, the higher alcohol content the better, so I purchased a 91% rubbing alcohol solution which has been working well for me.

If you want to see a particular product depotted, there are often specific videos on Youtube.

I just reorganized my babies.  I decided to use the Nars one to house my larger KVD palettes because it can fit Shade + Light and Chysalis with enough space left over for Monarch Robot Happy

Spoiler
FullSizeRender.jpg
Top left is Nars palette, underneath are two size large Z palettes.  On right are 2 domed z palettes (more depth for baked products) and an xlarge z palette.  I organize them in a file/paper sorter.
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Spoiler
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
These are my travel palettes in my train case.  The black ones are medium Z palettes and the hot pink is a small Z palette.

You can see how much room this saves.  If all the items were in original packaging, I would literally not have anywhere to keep them (at least not anywhere close at hand).

I'm sold, i need to try this out, it would probably make me use a lot of eyeshadows that just sit in a drawer.  

You don't happen to have an effective way to use loose mineral eye shadows so that they become a cake/solid do you?  I bought some beautiful colors from a small boutique makeup company but just haven't liked working with them as much.  

thanks for the advice, this will be a fun project when I have time to get to it

Supposedly you can use alcohol and press them down into empty pans (the Z Palette brand sells these)...BUT I have had nothing but issues when attempting this.  Its like a game of roulette.  Certain brands/finishes will remain solid and others will dry and become loose again.  They also break easier should you drop the palette.  Personally, all I ever ended up with was a mess.  Perhaps there are others more skilled than myself though.

I've never tried this with loose shadows but I have done it with pressed shadows that became a little crumbly broken and it worked.  

Is it possible to order the refills by themselves and stick them in a Z palette...?

8 Replies
testing