kellsmuneoka

LEAST Favorite youtube gurus

Hi ladies,

I know this is going to be a negative post but we definitely have to put information about these gurus out there because people actually will be wasting their money on crap products! People actually trust youtube gurus , but they don't know that they might be getting sponsored to advertise that specific brand or multiple ones!

(You're free to put your personal opinion about these people and what you feel about them)

In not specific order...

• Carli Bybel - seems very nice, but I can't get over how much she advertises HER products or another brand

•Michelle Phan- super talented and creative but seriously?! She only uses 90% of her own product in her videos and she just seems fake

•Jaclyn Hill - She actually has great tutorials but I've tried Whitening and Lightning & Sigma and they suck honestly compared to other products that I have

• Bethany Mota - terrible and fake. She tries to be cute and her makeup skills aren't very good so whatever. She only promotes herself and it drives me crazy. 

So many others but I'm going to leave you guys to talk about them! I got most of the main ones x

BuxomBabe80

Re: LEAST Favorite youtube gurus

She's a terrible excuse for a human being. I had no idea how disgusting she was until this post. 

heartsmyface

Omg!  Poor thing:smileysad:  that's just sick. 

BuxomBabe80

I googled it and am not entirely sure what happened. I'm confused. :/

knadala

Bethany Mota - Makeup skills are lacking to be called a guru. She is definitely popular for a reason, but I think it has more to do with her personality and style. The people who adore her are not mad about makeup, they just adore who she is.

Michelle Phan - She has definitely changed. I don't care if she wants to show off her awesome lifestyle, success, and model boyfriend....but don't push "self confidence" and "loving yourself" but get plastic surgery. It is very hypocritical, the before and after pictures are self explanatory. It's a shame because I think she is awesome in every other way.

Graveyard girl - She can do makeup, I'll give her that. But I can't watch her video's, I feel weird and uncomfortable, and she honestly seems kind of sloppy. I'm sure she's a nice person but I can't watch or listen to her, it's more of an acquired taste.

Sonny4President

The way you said it in such an unbiased way made me have to agree with you on Michelle Phan...

HawaiianEyes7

I agree! I wish Michelle Phan would just make a video addressing her plastic surgery, because I would respect her a lot more if she did, and I'm sure other people feel the same way! Other Youtubers like Dulce Candy and Shaaanxo have gotten plastic surgery, and are completely open and honest about it! There's no point in pretending you haven't had any, especially when you preach about self confidence and loving yourself.

BuxomBabe80

Ditto everything you just said!

annypoo

[ Edited ]

I don't watch too many youtube gurus but the ones I've come upon that I'm not extremely fond of are Elle and her sister Juicy star, only because I find it difficult to hear them talk. They talk so quickly and kind of high pitched. It's a little hard for me to listen to them. And they ramble a lot.

BuxomBabe80

Did you see Juicy Star's sponsored video on Puff's tissues? OMG Redic. 

BuxomBabe80

I can't stand those two! Did you see Elle's video where Sephora sent her a huge gift card and she was going over what she bought and she couldn't even pronounce Guerlain.

deannarp

I watched that video but appreciated that she disclosed that she was given a gift card by sephora. I noted a few other popular youtubers that week post huge sephora hauls as well and didn't mention if they were given a gift card or not.

kellsmuneoka

Yes! I like straight to the point tutorials...I don't want to hear your life story lol. Or if they're going to talk about themselves just make a video with an appropriate title for the topic 

andyhtrieu

[ Edited ]
  • Carli - all of her looks are gold/neutral smokey eyes.
  • Camila - same reason as Carli
  • Jaclyn - I have a love/hate relationship with her. I like her looks, but she can sound really cocky and know-it-all. She also highlights and contours too much for my liking. She talks way too much about Sigma and Whitening Lightning.
  • Wayne Goss - I have a love/hate relationship with him too. I like his videos, but his tips are ok and are starting to get repetitive. I don't need to apply concealer 234728 different ways. 
  • Fowler sisters - their voices are so hard to listen to. 
  • Melissa Michelle - I can't stand her voice either

I'd have to disagree with you about Michelle Phan. Of course she's going to use her own products because she created them! Wayne Goss uses his own brushes, but I never see anyone complain that he's not using something that's more accessible. If you had your own cooking show and your own line of cookware, wouldn't you use your own line of products that you created or at least helped create? Rachel Ray uses her own brand of pots, and so does Giada. Tom Ford wears his own suits and Donatella Versace wears her own dresses! There's nothing wrong with using something that you're proud of creating. 

spadersgirl

I love Wayne Goss. I do agree though that he seems to be running out of ideas. As for Michelle Phan, I watched a few of her videos "back in the day" but I've never subscribed because I usually stop liking a youtuber once they get too big. I feel like they're less inclined to really put any bad products on blast because they fear the backlash they could get from those companies. Wayne mentioned a few of those instances in some of his older videos.

BuxomBabe80

I agree with most of your comments, Andy. Melisa Michelle dresses really trashy for my taste. But maybe if I had her body I'd barely cover it too. Who know. But not in front of my kids. 

penelopepuffman

I agree with michelle phan and jaclyn hill being not awesome authentic youtube gurus.

lylysa

[ Edited ]

As just side note, for any YouTube guru or social media personality that has their own brand or line of products, of course they're going to focus on them heavily and utilize them on a consistent basis.

I'm certainly not here to debate whether or not their products/lines are any good, but it would make no sense for someone who's trying to run a business and make money to feature and heavily rely on another line/product that they won't benefit monetarily from or collect in some sort of fashion. In this day in age where social media is now more powerful than ever, folks realize that they need to hit the floor running in terms of being able to promote and really "brand" oneself to really separate one from the pack.

For example, if you venture into Sephora (or even Ulta) and speak with a rep/freelancer for MUFE, of course their primary focus will be to promote the brand they represent. Say you're looking for a black pencil liner, the rep may be a fan of multiple black pencils from actually liking MUFE's Aqua Liners, to even UD's 24/7 Glide On Pencils, and even Sephora's 12 Hr Liner, but for the sake of driving sales and brand loyalty, that rep will more than likely try to steer you to the MUFE, or at least showcase that pencil most.

I can certainly take away the fact that you don't like YouTubers who very blatantly push a particular product or brand, merely doing so doesn't discredit their abilities or even that brand/product entirely. It appears you just find it very distasteful for someone who is pushing a particular direction but doing so in a manner which is fooling no one and yet they don't just own up to it. Like with my brand rep example above, I personally find a shopping trip and consultation is much improved if the rep or associate I'm speaking with is upfront and honest with me, whether it's flat out telling me "I'm a rep/vendor for XYZ" or "You know, even though I work for XYZ and they have a black liner, I also like A and B, let me show you!" to give me options and to give me the impression they're not just looking at me like a walking wallet ready to drop some money and toss a sale their way, but in that same breath, there are shoppers and consumers out there who frankly don't mind being (politely) told what to buy and how to use it, and they may not particularly care for being presented with multiple options because they don't find they have the time to invest in doing the research to uncover what makes a product work and stand out from the rest and in turn will put their trust in the word of someone else.

Maybe this thread should be more of a "List certain aspects of YouTube gurus/tutorial videos that you don't like". :smileyhappy:

Sonny4President

I've actually been to a Sephora where a rep totally recommended me some Coastal eyeshadows because she saw me about to buy a high end palette... although I ended up buying the palette anyways, I have total respect for her trying to save me money... it just assures me that Sephora has hired some good souls.

notcreative

[ Edited ]

That was my first thought, Lylysa.  I like Michelle Phan and certainly have no problem with someone holding an opposite opinion.  When I first started getting back into makeup, I found her videos on the Lancome website very helpful.  She was cute and endearing.  Once she launched her brand that she helped make from many aspects, I think it would be a foolish decision for her not to push it as often as possible.  A good business woman must know how to get the job done.  On top of the fact that she has a great fan base she can reach, she seems very proud of the products she put out.  

As a fan, I purchased some products too and they are decent for the price (except the waterliner, which costs $16 for 1/4 the size you get with most eyeliners.  How many would pay $64 for an Urban Decay liner?  And, while the liner works well on your eyes, it breaks long before you can ever use the 0.01 ounce in the product.

I have never heard of the other three in the op, but I really do not spend a lot of time on Youtube.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 102 replies
  • 133 hearts
  • 36 in conversation
    • chupi
    • anaa
    • emmaclaire
    • lylysa
    • mommyto4
    • gingerblack