kimmi1115

Is Urban Decay Focusing too Much on the Naked Line?

Urban Decay has come out with a lot of new products of their Naked line.  I was on the UD site and saw the new Beauty Balm, Naked flush set, Naked Basics eyeshadow palette, and, although I did not see it on the site, a Naked polish set. I originally saw the polish set on Instagram.  There is also a special tab in the menu just for Naked makeup.  I can remember when the only main Naked product was the first Naked eyeshadow palette lol.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm all for the natural look, and I love my Naked palette.  However, it would be nice if Urban Decay starting to come out with more items revolving around color.  Before the holidays, they revamped the Dangerous, Fun, and Feminine palettes, and they came out with a smoked palette and the Vice palette.  But I think that's it.  Did I miss something?

When I spent my Sephora giftcard to start creating my own palette, I noticed how a lot of the singles revolved around neutrals.  Maybe it was just my store, but it was slim pickings for a pink shade with not much glitter in it.  

What do you all think of all the adding to the Naked line?

poshified

Re: Is Urban Decay Focusing too Much on the Naked Line?

(0) Hearts

Just when you think we're on a Naked overload, UD puts out a Naked Illuminated Shimmer Powder for Face and Body. Now available at Ulta!

malday

(0) Hearts

This seems like Urban Decay's answer to discontinuing their Sparkling Lickable Body Powders!

mityren

I love neutrals but I love UD because they're edgy and they seem to have gotten away from that. They could have really nice balance instead of just basics. I want the wild colors and pallets of yesterday back! 

malday

(0) Hearts

While I love the Naked line, I'm ready for something different. Luckily with the new lipstick release and the new Vice palette coming out, I don't think this will be a problem. They don't seem to be focusing too much on Naked only. Products for their Holiday collection will be released soon, let's hope there's a little something for everyone there!

syritt

UD used to be my first choice for shimmery but wearable shadows. They had an edge in their naming and packaging that I loved, and their shadows were a dream to put on and wear. No fallout ever, even without primer. Something changed when they started putting glitter in almost everything instead of having a good mix. They discontinued pretty much every shade I loved, so I started to try other brands. The naked line did not really bring me back, because I already have so many neutrals I love. Still haven't bought either palette. (I know, but I have so many other things besides eyeshadow to spend $50 on since I have so much eyeshadow already.) If they bring back color and edginess I might consider it. But not if they do animal testing - I really hope they don't go that route.

toofacedguru

(0) Hearts

I definitely agree that UD is focusing way too much on the Naked line. I was on their site trying to find some new makeup and all the focus is on the Naked products. I think they also have way too many glitter/shimmer shades so I hardly, if ever, buy anything from them.

berniebeauty

(0) Hearts

I got a sample of their BB cream and though it was too dark, I am able to use it as a concealer. If they come out with different shades I might get it because I really like the texture and the blendablility of it. 

I just looked through UD's website and I have to agree- I used to think of UD as a colorful brand but now it has way more neutral shades than it used to. Their colors are still packed with sparkle. If they went anywhere I wish they would make more eyeshadows that were colorful yet less glittery, shimmer's fine, but the fall out from their products is crazy. I think that there are alot of purples and blues in their line, they could make more pinks and greens. 

I do get the apeal of the naked line, I reach for my Naked1 almost daily, but the UD brand used to be edgy, fun, and colorful in my eyes and now I feel they're toning themselves down to apeal to greater audiences. I think they have offset their balance a bit, so I agree that new colors would be fun. 

And to do with the L'Oreal/animal control issue, I would be very dissapointed if they changed their philosophy on that. One of the reasons I am willing to pay the high end price of UD is because I know they have that value. 

~We are all beautiful~

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

@anaa  UD was bought out by L'Oreal?!  I did not know that!  I hope L'Oreal doesn't start making major changes to UD.  I've only tried one product by L'Oreal, and I didn't like it.  I also love how UD doesn't test on animals.

anaa

I have a bunch of the eyeshadows, both singles and pallets and both Nakeds.  I went ahead and bought the Naked Basics and much to my delight, I really like it.  It's different than the others and very good for me for everyday use.  Honestly some of the colors in the other  pallets I have are just not practical for me, and there are some I've never touched.  I will probably use all of the Naked Basics and buy another one at some point.  So their marketing strategy works on women like me!  I am disappointed that UD was acquired by L'Oreal.  One of their claims to fame other than being somewhat edgy, was that they don't do animal testing.  L'Oreal definitely does. 

PoojaL

To be honest, it's not entirely surprising for the company to focus on their naked line - that's what sells the best. When I think Urban Decay, usually I think "Naked" and "Neutrals". They're probably just maximizing on it because a lot of people generally go for those kinds of products for the every day and what not. 

Hopefully it works out well for them, though. 

lylysa

I think it's a fair balance so far, if you think about it, Urban Decay has always been known for bold colors, looks, and being more "out there" in terms of what they release, from designs, packaging, and shade names. Most conservative make up folks hear the name "Urban Decay" and shrink back because they think the line is super wild and won't cater to them, so I believe with the launch of the Naked line and products they're finally getting to broaded their clientele without putting anyone on edge for using shades like "Mary Jane", "Bourbon", or things their "Pocket Rocket" glosses.

Though I do love me some solid, brights and funky shades from UD, I'm liking that they're not afraid to go outside their norm and create more "subtle" items, especially in their complexion line. I always felt their focus was on color, color, color, so it's nice they're focusing on the complexion a bit, especially if they can put the quality into that as they do compared to their shadows and liners.

Maybe Urban will return with more palettes and color products this year. Fingers crossed!

prettyinpa

I've tried the new BB cream (got a pre release sample from UD) and it is way too dark for the pale skinned. I am disappointed that they only have the one shade (at least so far on their website).  I'd give it a try if they came out with lighter shades as the consistency and staying power is definitely appealing. Unlike the reviews, it really doesn't blend out to be wearable if you are fair to light.

Even I, of the neutral loving persuasion, would love to see UD come out with a grey palette. I think grey is a great neutral, I'm done with their brown/gold/copper neutrals, even though those are my favorite shadow colors. Got enough to last the rest of this lifetime, so on to different neutrals.

UD's brights are way too bright for me, that's usually why I pass on their palettes containing color.

makeupobesessed

I really like the Naked pallettes and when the foundation came out, I bought Naked 3.5 and I love it.  It's probably the best foundation I've used.  I have both Naked palettes and use the first way more than the second....I probably could've done without the Naked 2, but I got caught up in the brand.  I can safely say I have enou nuetrals to last me a lifetime.  I do want to see the nail polish set, but I can probably live without it.  I have tons of color shadows too, by UD...I recently bought the Vice palette over summer time.  Am I completely spent of their Naked line???  A little, but I love nuetrals and I love UD and makeup in general, I just have enough of them in my collection that if UD never put out another Nasked product, I'd be just fine.  I do really love the branding and the way they package their makeup to be visually exciting.  i can't imagine where else they would take the Naked line to....blushes and bronzers...beyond that I'm def good on all fronts as far as nuetrals go so after all that rambling, I say that's enough with the Naked line.  Whew.......sorry if that was one big run on sentence :smileywink:

bananachoox3

I'm excited to try their beauty balm but I wanted to test it out in stores before committing to it. It won't be available until Feb 1-2? I really do love their eyeshadow palettes with the neutrals but I would like to see some more colors.

madamsephora

I'm hoping after the BB cream that is all that will be from the naked line. I really hope they don't jump the shark with it. I don't think i can handle another Naked eye Shadow set.   I hope that is all the naked we get. Urban decay used to have fun colors and products I hope they go back to that street style they had.

fran11

I definitely noticed the same thing Kimmi.  I really think its smart marketing on their part...rolling with what is working. They could have named their new foundation and BB creams something else, but chose to include 'Naked' to associate them with the beloved palletes. As far as the shadow selection goes, I did notice a wide variety of colors for the single shadows at my sephoras...maybe the one by you is a little low on stock after the holidays?

i agree though that they shouldn't get caught up too much with the naked line and only put out neutral products. Hopefully they will have a new pallette out soon to satisfy the people who love some color :-)

sammiebaby

I dunno I really love their Naked line.  I'm in the market to get a BB Cream since my Too Faced one is done.  I really want to go to Sephora or Ulta (if it becomes available for sale there) to try it on and see colors and if it works for my skin.  I'm not a huge fan of bright colors and I always use neutrals.  I've only tried a few other brands and they just have the same old basic browns so not much variety.  I own the Naked pallette and I've used every color in it to create several looks (still not done with the pallette tho).  I want to get the Vice pallette but because I wear glasses almost all the time I'm kinda iffy about it.  But I'm gonna guess that their focused on their Naked line because Spring and Summer is coming up and a lot of people do want a nice natural simple but put together look.  But that's just my opinion lol

runy

I wonder if this is in response to all the daring, bright, glittery colors they had before that people used to complain about (all the midnights for example).  It's not like they're the first to do neutrals- Bobby Brown is pretty huge on this.  However, their Naked palette for some reason revolutionized and revamped Neutral and has taken on a trend of it's own.  Is it because BB is usually used by older generation and UD the younger?  I like a mix.  I personally own a lot of their Book of Shadows and some of the colors are too bright and colorful to wear daily.  But I feel like mixed with Naked they're wearable.  However, I'm not going to buy every Naked thing they launch because it's becoming overkill.

Also, they just got bought out by another company recently.  That could also be the shift...

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 41 hearts
  • 17 in conversation
    • runy
    • prettyinpa
    • anaa
    • malday
    • kimmi1115
    • berniebeauty