pinkonyx

Is Make-up Relaxing?

So I was looking on YouTube for how to do a facial, and  I stumbled upon some videos of a girl basically roleplaying that she is doing your make-up. I guess these videos are meant for people who feel relaxed from getting their make up done. It made me think hey I guess I am relaxed when I am doing my make-up/ getting make-up done by others. They also have videos where you getting your hair cut, and going to a spa. Interesting things you find on YouTube.

*so do you find make-up relaxing, does it help you wind down? Have you guys seen these videos?

if your interested in what I saw search on youtube: Gentlewhispering relaxing make up artist

laurabt

Re: Is Make-up Relaxing?

Wow, I never knew that this was a "thing" or that it had a name!  I am very susceptible to this technique, it makes me feel sleepy or zoned out. Haha!  :smileyhappy: -Laura

crayzeeRN

I didn't know that it had a name until a year or so ago! As long as it gets me to sleep, I don't care what name they label it with :smileyvery-happy:

crayzeeRN

ASMR is awesome :smileyhappy: The videos where people whisper don't really do anything for me, but I've been watching instructional massage videos for years to help myself fall asleep! Watching videos about hair styling or hair braiding or someone doing another's makeup works for me too :smileyhappy:

latinadiva

As someone mentioned, it's ASMR. The super crazy part is I would always have responses like that and until I stumbled across ironically the exact same video you mentioned I had no idea there was a name for it or anything. I found it very interesting that not everyone feels it either.

drrragon

ok this is the weirdest thing i've ever heard of, but also strangely soothing!  it's weird how you get fooled via visual and audio cues, and i can almost feel the softness of the brushes used.  thanks for sharing about this!

On the weekdays when I need to get made up in a hurry it's not particularly relaxing, but on weekends I sometimes spend as much as an hour just because I can and it's something I greatly enjoy.  It definitely is a big de-stresser for me and fun to play with colors as well!

pinkonyx

its weird but i like it! so glad you found it soothing too

Nicrohr

(0) Hearts

Ha! I never knew something like these vids existed, thanks for sharing.

I DO find it super relaxing to get my make up done (or facials), and actually found watching a minute of the vids relaxing too -- surprisingly! :smileyhappy:

rdesigns

I love getting facials, but having someone put make-up on me is not relaxing at all.  I flinch every time someone gets near my eyes.  I must be odd! lol!

knadala

LOL makeup in general relaxes me; arranging it, watching tutorials and reviews, and shopping online. But I don't think I would enjoy that sort of video.

pinkonyx

online shopping is the best!

NotCrocker

Those videos stimulate an ASMR (Autonomous sensory meridian response) in some people, a pleasant "tingling" sensation. The videos that simulate getting your haircut or makeup done are often done with panning audio, so if you listen with headphones the sound pans from ear to ear, further stimulating that pleasant tingling. 

Nicrohr

Yes!  This totally worked on me, super surprising.  I know I have this reaction in person, but was shocked to have the reaction to a video :smileyvery-happy:.  Neat, and thanks for the information.

pinkonyx

(0) Hearts

its like someone is slapping you with a relaxation stick! great to promote sleep.

carolang

Very interesting, although I think I'd prefer the real thing! :smileywink:

NotCrocker

Me too! Nothing like being pampered!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 18 hearts
  • 10 in conversation