Briarswood

I'm trying to build up a makeup bag. What basic products do you recommend?

(0) Hearts

I'd like to rebuild my makeup bag, and recently came into some extra income. What products do you recommend to use in a daily routine?

marydiva

Re: I'm trying to build up a makeup bag. What basic products do you recommend?

(0) Hearts

I'd start with the basics

• Complexion creation essentials (a good build able foundation, a primer, a setting spray, a setting or finishing powder. Also necessary - basic blush and bronzer. Bonus items - all over high lighter and under-eye specific highlighter)
  • Eye makeup essentials (A good neutral palette (think Naked/Naked2, Naked3), a palette with some color to it (maybe a tarte holiday palette? will be unique to you because certain colors look better on certain people.) a primer, liquid eyeliner (for the top lid.), mascara, and an eyelash curler.Bonus Items - clearly there's a lot of "extra" eye makeup stuff you can get - in eyeliner variety alone.)
  • Lips (get a good neutral lipstick and a lip liner)

Those three "areas" are the most basic and necessary I feel. When you can, add an eyebrow category to the mix and invest in Anastasia DipBrow! It's the best. Here are my product recommendations for each category. 

Complexion

• Tarte's 12 Hr Foundation
  • Smashbox Blemish Control Primer
  • Tarte's Amazonian Clay Blush
  • NARS Bronzer in Languna 
  • Urban Decay Setting Sprays
  • Guerlain Magic Meteorite Pearls
  • Smashbox Under-Eye highlight
  • (Also needed here is a good foundation brush. Tarte has a great one, but I also love the flat headed brush from BareMinerals.)

Eye makeup essentials

• Buxom Mascara (it's the best!!)
  • Naked palette of choice
  • Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer
  • Stila Liquid Eyeliner Pen (Lorac carries another great liquid pen option. IMO these are the easiest to handle and hold and use.)
  • Tweezerman eyelash curler

Lips 

• Bite Lipstick
beyourbeauty

(0) Hearts

My essential makeup bag:

- Primer: Currently, I am in love with the new Tarte Clean Slate Smoothing Primer (in a tub). It leaves my skin so smooth and keeps the foundation looking perfect and lasting long. 

-Tinted Moisturizer/BB Cream/Foundation: This aspect of my makeup bag changes from season to season. With fall/winter coming up, I look for products that are more hydrating. I really like Bobbi Brown BB cream. I also like her new Skin Foundation Stick. 

- Concealer: I like Bobbi Brown's corrector and concealer. But if I am traveling or in a hurry, I use Marc Jacob's Remedy Concealer. The MJ concealer is amazing with the cooling tip and the product itself doesn't crease on me at ALL! For blemish concealing, Bobbi Brown Touch Up Stick and Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer (this one is also good for undereye concealing) A good eye cream is essential to good undereye concealing: Kiehls Avocado Eye Cream is the best one out there. 

- Setting powder/Powder: I like to have two different powders: My Becca Perfect Skin Mineral Foundation for when I want to use powder for coverage and Nars Loose Light Reflecting Loose Powder. The Nars powder will blow your mind. It looks great with pictures and it makes your face look and feel soft and smooth. I have also recently rediscovered my love for the Bare Minerals Original SPF foundation and found myself reaching for it a lot more lately. 

- Bronzer/Blush/Highlighter It wasn't until I bought the Too Faced Bronzing wardrobe did I start using bronzer..I am head over heels in love with the Sun Bunny Bronzer and the Snow Bunny Bronzer!!! I use the Sun Bunny to add a little warmth and the Snow Bunny as a finishing touch because it adds a beautiful luminosity. I also reach for my Chanel Soleil Tan de Chanel Bronzing Base every once in a while. For Blush, it really varies--I love the Tarte Blushes,but my current favorite is Chanel Rose Ecrin or Bare Minerals in Beauty (loose) or The One (ready version). For highlighter, I normally just use Snow Bunny Bronzer or I dab on the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Moonstone. I would really love to try Pearl!! 

- Lips: This product varies with mood and event and season for me. When I am being lazy, I like the FRESH sugar lip treatment in Rose. I also sometimes reach for Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey or Luscious Honey. For lipsticks, I would have to give the award to Chanel but I also like other brands. For nude, I use Chanel Coco Rouge in Madamoiselle. MUFE also makes an excellent nude, I like the Rouge Artist Natural in N9 (it is described as copper pink, but it looks nude/natural on my lips). For red: I use Chanel Coco Rouge in Gabrielle. For other colors to check out: Chanel Rouge Allure in Extatique and Pimpante. For gloss: I like Chanel Glossimers. Faves are Sonate and Volupte. Other faves are Bare Minerals Marvelous Moxie Glosses!!! Lip Balm: Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm and Bite Beauty Lush Lip Tint in Juice. 

- Eyes: Eyeshadow, I am a palette girl: Too Faced Chocolate Palette is my current go to. I have been checking out the new Stila Eyes are the Window eyeshadow palettes! Mascara: Chanel Le Volume Mascara and Bare Minerals Lash Domination! Eye liner: Marc Jacobs Highliner Gel Eyeliner Pen and Magic Marc'er Pen both in the Black varieties. I sometimes use powder eyeshadows for more natural looks. For primer: Too Faced Shadow Insurance and Lorac Behind the Scenes Primer. I sometimes use cream eyeshadow as bases: Bobbi Brown Long Wear Cream Shadow and Chanel Ilusion De Ombre are excellent as well. Brows: Anastasis Brow Wiz HANDS DOWN!!! 

jemly

(0) Hearts

if we're talking makeup basics this is what i recommend:

• a foundation that has sheer yet buildable coverage, and therefore can adapt to your needs. i like NARS sheer glow for this (many people think this does not give sheer/light coverage but i've found with a light hand, it absolutely does).
  • concealer. my go-to is NARS radiant creamy concealer
  • eyeliner. a traditional pencil (not a gel or liquid--those can come once you have your basics!) can be tightlined for a natural look or used as thickly as you desire for more drama. basically, it gives you options.
  • mascara
  • 2 lipsticks: one neutral and one bold. what 'bold' is is relative to the wearer. could be anything from a red to brightish pink to a deep plum. figure out what finishes you like (do you like glossy ? matte ? somewhere in between like a satin ?)
  • blush. most people consider it a must-have--i don't wear it often though so i forget about it ! haha. check out NARS for blush, no question.

then you can start adding:

• eyeshadow. i'm of the minority camp here (or so it seems) and don't consider any eyeshadow a 'basic'. will suggest though that an eyeshadow is interchangeable with eyeliner in the above list, particularly if you want something a bit softer
  • eyebrow pencil / powder / gel whichever you prefer, if at all
  • more lipstick variations :smileywink:

just my makeup 2cents from my perspective. it's all relative (for example, you don't see any powder, primer or contouring stuff on my list because i'm not a fan.)

Jessicaclara

(0) Hearts

Daily products/basics will vary for everyone, but here's mine:

Base

• Foundation: Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24h
  • Face concealer: MUFE creamy camouflage 5 palette
  • Undereye concealer: MAC prolongwear

Powders

• Face powder: MAC blot powder
  • Bronzer: MAC golden
  • Blush: MAC dame
  • Contour: MUFE sculpting kit

Eyes

• Mascara: Diorshow, Rimmel Scandaleyes
  • Eyeliner: Dior Liquid Styleliner, a brown pencil that varies, NYX eyeshadow stick in Cottage Cheese for brow and inner corner highlight

Brows

• Pencil: ABH Brow Wiz
  • Gel: ABH Clear Brow Gel

Plus things like eyeshadow, primer, false lashes, etc. but those things vary and aren't daily uses.

meganlisa

(0) Hearts

I like the Hourglass and Smashbox primers, Urban Decay eye shadow base, UD Naked Palettes (which one depending on your undertones and preferences), Loreal Miss Manga mascara (if you have long lashes), Smashbox brows to go.

If I were starting over on foundation/cc cream/bb cream I'd buy Armani.  I like the Josie Maran cheek gels (I like the cheek balm in a tube too but not for oily skin and I don't know yours; Sephora will be re-stocking the set of four).  I also like the Hourglass blush with the highlight in it.

For lips I'd wait until some of the new holiday sets come out and try a few of those.  When I did one year I learned that I wasn't picking the best lip colors for myself, even when I was getting in store help.

And Lancome makeup remover and lots of skin care!!!

Just one person's thoughts...

comeoneileen88

(0) Hearts

Rebuilding a make-up bag is so much fun. Congrats on the extra income!

Here are some of the staples in my make-up bag at the moment:

Primers: Benefit Porefessional, Benefit That Gal, Too Faced Shadow Insurance

Benefit Flawless Foundation

Benefit Erase Paste Concealer

Stila in the Garden Eye Shadow Palette

Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil Bronzer

Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

Tarte Cheek Stain (various colors)

Benefit Watt's Up Highlighter

Mascara: no particular favorite right now, just working my way through a billion samples

Nars Lip Glosses

Stila Color Balm Lipstick

Kiehl's Lip Balm #1

andyhtrieu

(0) Hearts

There's actually a few threads about basic makeup necessities. If you use the search function, you'll find a few :smileyhappy:

There's a few recommendations in this thread:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/BEAUTY-HELP/m-p/1586666/highlight/true#M43268

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • marydiva
    • beyourbeauty
    • Jessicaclara
    • meganlisa
    • andyhtrieu
    • jemly