roxystar4

I like black eyeshadow but...

I would love it if companies stopped putting it in almost every palette!  Not sure if you are like me, but I only use it sparingly and have to blend-blend-blend (I prefer to use a black eyeliner than eyeshadow for my lash lines).  I def use the lighter colors up faster.

Thanks for letting me rant innocently.

Which colors do you think companies need to stop duplicating in palettes?

kenny

Re: I like black eyeshadow but...

(0) Hearts

Agreed, I very rarely use black on myself. Another shade that companies like to use in palettes is some kind of teal/turquoise. While some are nice it's tougher to use and usually goes untouched. Although I think recently companies have stopped, apparently now they they have switched to black... At least black is easier to use than teal.

dannyc

(0) Hearts

I remember when palettes never included black shadows, so I bought the KVD Beethoven platte, a single UD, a single NYX... now everything has black. It's annoying when I'm home, because I usually will use the UD single or the one in Beethoven.

HOWEVER.... I find it very convenient when traveling that I only need to take one palette & have a variety of choices when it comes to palettes because they all have one. Then I don't need to take any singles, or another palette just for one shade. 

I like to set my eyeliner with a black shadow, or mix it with purple shadows for a black smoke. 

Candy357

(0) Hearts

Like on fb I just saw the new UD set, why do you need so many shades of
browns and tan colors!??! Come on.

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

lol I actually love that about ud palettes---they generally have enough neutrals in there. I'm a neutral shadow kinda gal so I welcome as many shades of brown as possible, because I know that I will use them all and reach for them often.

annekevdb

I feel the same way about black. I really really dislike chunky glitter in the black shadow. It takes me forever to use up a black shadow.

I also don't like super  white frosty shadows - its one of those things that I use in such tiny quantities that I really don't need more than a tiny pot to last years. 

kalex

I find that annoying too.  Not everyone has the makeup collections we do though.  Somewhere out there are people who don't already have umpteen palettes.  (Weirdos.)

I typically just use it as a liner.  My favorite brush to use for the top lash line is the MAC 219.

poshified

[ Edited ]

Amen! The worst is when they put a black eyeshadow right next to a lip color.

Urban Decay needs to stop putting Creep/Blackout/(insert different name for same black eyeshadow here) in their palettes.

warriorwitch

My biggest pet peeve with UD palettes is that a lot of their "exclusive" shadows are exactly the same as the shadows in their regular line. Get me all excited and then its not new and shiny. :smileysad:

poshified

Haha, I don't know which one I'd prefer: UD incorporating the same few eyeshadows in different palettes but keeping the names the same or UD adding the same eyeshadow shades but calling them differently.

roxystar4

@posh I was actually thinking of UD most of this time. (and why the black with chunky glitter/sparkles that end up all over my face?).

poshified

(0) Hearts

Right? As if cleaning the fallout from the black shadows wasn't enough, we have to deal with the glitter fest! lol

midnightangel

Well I am a goth, so I use black eyeshadow all the time.

But I get what you mean...that's why I don't buy palettes. Most of the colors in palettes are shades I would never wear so it makes more sense for me to buy individual eyeshadows.

I agree that they need to stop putting black in shadow palettes though. The vast majority of people don't wear black eyeshadow.

marydiva

I never ever ever ever use black in a normal or glam makeup look. I'm as white as a ghost so black would look gothic on me.  However, I did once use it for "zombie" Halloween makeup and a few fun artistic photoshoots! :smileyhappy:

I do agree though. If feel like sometime palettes just include black to take up space!

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

ohh the white gets me too! I have 2 palettes where the white color is chalky and just terrible quality. 

I prefer a nude color over white.

carolang

I hate it when white or a brow bone highlight color is 2x as big as the colors offered in a palette (too faced cough cough).. I never use a brow bone highlight personally but I do not need that much chalk white color! A transition color would be better suited for the larger spot.

ghkim

I totally agree! And white too, I don't think I'll ever use up even one of these over the course of my lifetime.

Candy357

I want a set that has every color, meaning ONE of each. Not 3 shades of purple. So like one blue, teal, purple, pink, silver, gold, brown, white, black, etc. Like a crayon box.

roxystar4

i think I also get annoyed when companies put very very similar colored shadows in palettes and rename them differently. 

vanillammm

Yes! I get really annoyed by that, too!

vanillammm

I like to get an eyeliner brush wet and use the black shadow as an eyeliner.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 53 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • kalex
    • kenny
    • dannyc
    • sephoramusthave
    • spoiledbrat
    • marydiva