MintShake

I hate bold lip colors.

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

dislike bold lip colors. They are over-powering and overall just alright, and I don't use that word lightly. No bold lip look ever looked good in my opinion and I prefer something rather neutral, or adjacent to my skintone, but that's just me. 

Ps.I changed my opinion, because there are different definitions of bold,and I hate people bambarding me just because I hate a look. 

540691_10151394664234405_147580549_n.jpg

Fabz

Re: I hate bold lip colors.

Righteous, okay I hate...foot fungus.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Me too!!!!! OMG! :smileytongue:

sephoramusthave

I think we need to start some "I LOVE" threads to make up for all this hate....

Fabz

on it :smileyhappy:

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

But that's the problem---you didn't simply say that you don't like the look. There's a difference in saying "I don't like this look on myself but wish that I could pull it off like some people" instead of how you worded it. "No bold lip look ever looked good"? There are so many different types of people in this world, with different skintones, eye colors, lip colors, hair colors etc and just because it doesn't look good on you, doesn't mean it doesn't look good on other people. When you say things like "its overall just ugly" with the word ugly emphasized you have to know that there are people reading this that might be rocking a bright fuschia pink lip, and they will be offended when you are dismissing their look as basically....gross.

lylysa

Precisely, Sephoramusthave!

Delivery and emphasis counts greatly, and though Beauty Talk is a wonderful place to share opinions and thoughts, to come out the gate and say you "hate" something and then quickly go on the defensive states that you yourself know what you shared can be viewed or taken in a skewed manner.

If you don't like bold or loud lip colors, then hey, that's all you, no sweat off anyone's back, but when you feel like you have to state you don't want any slack for it, that's really opening a can of worms. Rather than open up a topic with "I hate" and they're "overall just ugly" and stating how you "don't use that word lightly", why not start off with something along the lines of "There's something that I just don't get, bold/loud lip colors. I've never found them to be appealing, but I know that's just a personal take." That statement is more personalized and doesn't sound like you're attacking anyone or any make up style, but rather you stating what you think to where you don't have to add the defensive "I don't want any flaming on me" message.

I don't want to come down on you, because hey, I understand you just wanted to share, but know that even though it might have been viewed to you as an innocent statement, it can come across differently to others. Beauty Talk is so open and everyone bounces things off one another that it's hard to just ever have a "this is just my blatant opinion, not looking for any feedback, just wanted to get this off my chest" type of thread. The thing is, you and even I are part of a public forum, so feedback is inevitable. I hope you understand it's a matter of perspective, I know you didn't mean your thread in a condescending or bashing way for those who wear or like bold lip colors (I'm a fan of all colors and looks and I wasn't offended), but I just wanted to share and let you know a touch of mindfulness helps more than not. :smileyhappy:

PickyPlease

A++, lylysa!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Whooo, it's like I'm back in school! Good grades!!!

starletta8

@Lylysa- We need you to be our resident diplomat because that's perfect!

lylysa

You're going to make me blush! First Moregun calls me the make up Batman and now this! Gawww!

arielaaaaaaaa

@Lylysa, Beautifully said as always.

lylysa

Thanks, Ariela!

Several of the girls here have a point, and to Mintshake, I'm here to personally reinforce that my statement above is not in any strike against you, I can also confidently say that the users here are trying to attack or gang up on you. We just want you to recognize that the type of thread and manner in which you have presented your message may not be of the most tactful or understanding route.

We of course don't ask for you to be some formal speaker, because hey, we're all here to have fun and we goof around too, be it from rants and raves, but it's important to personalize your opinion rather than have it appear to be a generalized statement.

MintShake

(0) Hearts

Recognize what? i can't even state my own opinion? I have to like everything? 

helpful

So 2 posts in 2 days about what you hate- very positive. 

starletta8

Yikes!  Total honesty here I guess.

That said, some of us prefer bolder lips than others.  I'm one of them- my lips are so naturally pigmented that I look ridiculous trying a totally nude lip.

It's all a matter of preference, but hate's a big word! 

bittersweet86

Yes my lips are so pigmented too that nudes I feel look awful on me but others can pull it off wonderfully (me = jealous)

starletta8

Exactly, bittersweet86.  I look enviously at some of the beautiful nude looks.  I was once told to put concealer all over my lips to pull it off- no thanks! I can appreciate it on others and the beauty of the looks, but it's bold colors for me.

bittersweet86

Some one told me that too and i did try. Yeah I looked dead because I am also very pale so yeah I'll stay with my hot pinks and  reds for now and use the concealer look if I want to be a zombie or something for halloween. Again lucky people who can pull off the nudes *waves hand in air* 

sephoramusthave

I have to add that this board was a much more peaceful place before all these "I hate this" threads took over.

MintShake

I wasn't trying to seem rude or over-the top but that's the way I feel. Most thing I have a hate-love relationship but it seems like I angered people.

bittersweet86

Also in your I hate neutral eyedshadows you said makeup is suppose to be fun, bright and funky....so that doesn't work for lips though? 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 63 replies
  • 198 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • kenny
    • prettyinpa
    • islandqt
    • sephoramusthave
    • emmaclaire
    • arielaaaaaaaa