RebeccaKitty

I can no longer afford my makeup, but I don't want to go back to drugstore, what do i do?

I've lived in Texas my whole life, and I'm about to make a big move from my cute country small town to the big city of Los Angeles! Exciting right? 

Well it costs much more to live there and I'm not gonna have the same types of funds for all of my makeup and skincare that i had, and I really don't know what to do. I really don't want to go back to drugstore because that stuff breaks me out and never matches or lasts on me. But I can't be spending my rent or utility money on my makeup or skincare. I don't what to do! I can't live without my algenlist or Bobbi brown, does anyone know what to do in this situation?

Shrewdle

Re: I can no longer afford my makeup, but I don't want to go back to drugstore, what do i do?

haha, sorry to be off topic to the main thread, but I just have to comment that I love TLC's Extreme Couponing show! I wish I was good with coupons, especially when it came to beauty items!

JayReed

Re: I can no longer afford my makeup, but I don't want to go back to drugstore, what do i do?

I ran in to this situation right after high school, I had just got my own apt and I was living in Fort Worth at the time (alone) and my rent was 689 for my income it was okay, but I also had utilities, car, insurance, food, and gas. Pretty much I only had a couple hundred bucks to live on every two weeks. I started a change jar and would pay with cash instead of a card for that reason, every couple of months I had anywhere from 80-110 bucks in spare change and would use that for makeup and skincare, it's not much, I know, but I was only 19 at the time and didn't need much. 

If you can try and buy a backup of your must haves, to me it's my foundation and moisturizer and try swapping out another item with a less expensive product. Try and get samples if you can as well. Again like a BTer said you may not be as broke as you think! Let's hope that's how it goes! 

missey1973

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I love love love Bobbi Brown but to be honest, my derm does not. She always recommends drug store items for my skin care. But to get some high end things, you can always ask for samples. You can get Bobbi Brown samples from their actual counter and also in store at a Sephora. Sometimes a sample can last quite a while. There is also a great thread on here titled something like "Companies you have gotten free samples from" People were able to get boat loads of samples and travel size products from high end companies by just sending the company a short email. I did this and ended up with  two shoe boxes full of samples in about a months time.

Also there is nothing wrong with being selective over what drug store vs high end products you get. For example splurge on a high end eye primer but use it with a drug store shadow.

Joannimation

(0) Hearts
Annalily11

You'll probably find yourself with a bit more money left over than you expect, but if not:

Choose your must, must haves to splurge on. Obviously I don't know your current buying habits, but if you tend to buy a lot of everything, it helps to limit down to what you actually use a lot or prefer to use. Do you have two similar blushes that you like equally, but tend to replace both of when they run low? Start only replacing the cheaper one.

Don't impulse buy, research a lot first, and make sure you'll actually use it. You don't need to look for the cheapest option, just look for cheaper options. If MAC and Bobbi Brown both have the same color lipstick you want, opt for MAC instead (assuming you don't have any adverse skin reacts to it). Keep a look out for sales, promotions, GWP, etc. for when you do make your purchases.

Wear your makeup a little less. It won't make a huge difference, but if you usually wear a full face of makeup to run to the store or sit around at home it helps stretch things a bit to go bare faced instead. 

When the holidays or your birthday roll around ask for the makeup you want as gifts.

Finally, prioritize. Maybe go out to eat less, or cut down on Starbucks trips. You'll be in a city so start walking places instead of driving. The amount you can save on gas alone in a month might buy you a new moisturizer. Also prioritize where different makeup products fall on your list. Foundation might be a no-compromise zone, but maybe you could opt for drugstore chapstick. Figure out where higher end makeup falls on your list, what you're willing to cut or replace with cheaper alternatives. One great thing about big cities, even if overall the prices are higher, there so many different options for everything that a lot of good things can be found cheap if you look in the right places.

nightknight

There were times (actually, a lot of times) when I can't afford the makeup products I would like to have. During that time, I was able to swap a lot of the unused products that I received through subscription boxes or other means. There are a few makeup communities online that have swapping where you can trade new or gently used products.

If you have a blog, you can try having a blog sale. You can also try selling some stuff on eBay (they do not allow the resale of used cosmetics), but if you have a lot of samples around you can sell those in lots.

If you have foils that you haven't used, squeeze out the packet's contents into a small jar (or even a pill counter) and use those samples up. When you open up a foil squeeze out every drop, you might be surprised at how much there is.

Also, hit up discount retailers like Marshall's or TJ Maxx. Both stores have high end brands for a lot less. My local TJ Maxx has Ole Henricksen, Jurlique, Elizabeth Arden, NARS, SAMPAR, and GLAMGLOW products.

HelloCoffee

Hey there! I was in a similar situation when I lost my job last year. Drugstore products have come a long way, so have some faith : ) 

As mentioned, definitely put some money aside a week. It adds up and cut back where you can (bringing your own lunch/coffee to work for example). Also, google dupes for your products. There are some very smooth and creamy drugstore lipsticks with a variety of shades and lots of good mascaras. 

You mentioned Bobbi Brown...I am assuming her foundation? (because you said drugstore stuff doesn't match). I use Bobbi foundation in Porcelain, a perfect match for me. Loreal True Match W2 is a very close dupe and I love the formula. 

Skincare may be trickier if you have sensitive skin, but I started using Boots No 7 and Roc and I am quite happy with both.....I see a difference in my skin.

Good luck with everything, but once the dust settles and you get into a routine, you'll be fine : )

Missie772

[ Edited ]

It will be fine, I promise! I moved from a small town to Chicago (where it is a very expensive city and has one of the highest taxes in the country) and I thought I wouldn't be able to afford anything. Mind you in the small town where I lived for college, a renovated 2 bedroom apartment that my roommate and I shared, my half of the rent was $385! It had brand new appliances, new carpet and tile, and newly painted with crown molding. My first apartment that I move to in Chicago was $1,850 for a one bedroom apartment close to school, it was nice but not that nice for 5 times what I was used to paying in rent. Yep... :smileysad:

With a higher cost of living, jobs usually pay more as well. It took me a bit to find my footing, but if you don't spend your money going out partying, drinking, eating out, getting drive through, etc, then you can afford to splurge a bit on makeup. Why will I spend $100 on drinks with friends when all I am left with is a hangover the next day. With $100 of makeup and skincare, it will last months! I also started couponing (and I still do now) to get a good deal on groceries. I make dinner and pack lunches. And I don't spend money all the time buying snacks or coffee- those little $5 purchases add up quickly.

As for makeup, I would compare and contrast sales and most stores will price match. And I would always try to get a promotion or GWP with my purchase as well to get the biggest bang for my buck. Plus Sephora has great promotions around the holidays- 20% off and $20 off $50 coupon.

Good luck! And don't stress! :smileyvery-happy:

AllyKatVA

(0) Hearts

As I was reading your post, I thought, you can get that nice of an apartment in Chicago for $770 a month??? What is she complaining about? Then I finished reading, and thought, yeah that sounds more like it.

I second the couponing and "sale" shopping. It is amazing how much money you can save with a bit of extra planning. 

mpas

(0) Hearts

First thing Im going to tell you is to take a deep breath.  Maybe you can allocate monthly income to a beauty budget.  Plus you never know, LA is expensive but you might be able to make it work.  Not everyone living there makes millions and millions. 

RebeccaKitty

I'm going to try to save $5-$15 a week to put towards makeup, I never even thought of that. thank you!

infinitise

You can try looking for them second hand like makeup exchange/blog sale kind of places. most people have lightly used products for a lot cheaper 

I use it every now and then to try something I'm not sure if I'm going to like. 

(there is reddit makeup exchange, muabs, makeup geek, etc) 

I can't speak for skincare, but you could try Asian products for makeup. some of them are better than the high end products because its "inspired by" them. 

for example, I've tried every setting sprays from sephora and mac, but nothing beats too cool for school's setting spray; Banila.co's cleansing cream is the best, etc. 

for skin care, idk I really like the ones I buy from whole foods. its very gentle on the skin and effective as well. I know how nice Bobbi Brown skin care are, but I sometimes break out and my skin doesn't feel as nourished and "Free to breathe" 

RebeccaKitty

(0) Hearts

I've never thought of that, I'll definitely look into resale, mad maybe i can make some extra cash by selling my lightly used makeups as well. Thank you!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 33 replies
  • 33 hearts
  • 27 in conversation
    • lovelykatya
    • hydee77
    • mpas
    • leeshybeesh
    • nightknight
    • JenBlush