ntailor

How to people get free makeup samples???

How do people get free makeup samples?  I don't mean at Sephora.  I know you have to buy something online to receive free samples.  But I have heard that just in general that people get free samples just by emailing companies (Lancome, Estee Lauder, Clinique, MAC etc) and end up getting free samples.  How does that work? 

Anyone heard of this happening???

mityren

Re: How to people get free makeup samples???

(0) Hearts

Wow, I didn't realize this was from 2 years ago! Lol! Well hopefully my response will help someone else!

mityren

There is a thread about emailing companies and receiving samples from awhile back. I just go to the companies website, email customer service, tell them I'm interested in trying a particular product or type of product. I also mention there is nit a store close by to try said items and due to sensitive skin, want to avoid buying returning, etc. Tons f companies sent me and slot of other bter s samples. I think the thread was What samples have you received.

Caitkat

(0) Hearts

I know this is an old post. But I have received free products from some companies (Hair formula 37 sent me $70 worth of product for free! All I had to do was make a Youtube review!) Just find companies that aren't very well known. It may take a bit to find, but it's worth it! Email them (the email is usually at the bottom of the page). 

gabidee

(0) Hearts

Dear ntailor,

In all honesty, I have never heard of receiving free samples for emailing companies. But, many companies like Clinique and Lancome send out deluxe samples for purchases over a certain dollar amount online. Also, if you purchase a certain  dollar amount IN store, you can receive lovely cosmetic bags filled with deluxe samples. This only happens a few times a year at specific stores, so I suggest you pay their website a visit and check when these events are happening.

-gabidee

ran8

(0) Hearts

The free sample thing is probably more of a company coming to you than e-mailing them.  That is why on some youtube and blog pages, they have a specific e-mail for business inquiries.  Popularity might be one factor while some companies do it for promoting their products or a new item.

Sometimes bloggers/youtubers get attention by name dropping their favorite products.  It can be annoying if it appears blatantly obvious. 

Maybe if one kept up in correspondence with a representative from some previous social or networking event, it might be easier to ask for samples and/or freebies via e-mail (that person's direct business e-mail address that is).  That might be on a more b2b level. 

However, it will most likely be filtered out of the system if not directly asking or inquiring to a specific person.

jxw200

(0) Hearts

The others posters have great suggestions. Like they mentioned, most people who are getting products from companies through email are bloggers with tons of viewers. 

For the average person there's still tons of ways to get samples. :smileyhappy: Creating a good relationship with your department store counter people is a great start, but often you can just ask. At Nordstrom for example, they have sample jars at the counters so they can put foundation in there for you. A lot of online beauty retailers have samples too, and sephora always has great sample codes if you're ordering online. 

jyosh

(0) Hearts

I think what you're thinking of are people who are given items to review for consideration because they represent a certain blog or youtube channel which has received a lot of attention. Some people do e-mail those companies and I think the companies take into consideration of how well that person can spread the word about that company. If you happen to keep a beauty blog with many followers, I would consider adding your site to the e-mail because it may prove helpful. I have also heard of people who receive full size products and not just sample sizes either!

I would definitely try the makeup counter idea though 

artemisgem

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure how to get samples of a specific product by e-mailing the company. However, for the past few years I've been collecting beauty products and beauty samples for charitable causes. Here are some of the ways I get so many samples:

1. Order on Sephora and Ulta, especially when they're doing a promotion where you get a gift bag of samples. Ordering on Ulta is even easier because they sell many of the same products that drugstores do, so instead of going to the drugstore, I buy what I need on Ulta and get the samples.

2. Whenever I'm buying something for less on eBay, I try to buy from a seller that sells any beauty items. When I make my purchase, I write to the seller to tell them I collect samples for a good cause and ask if they'd be willing to donate samples. Most are very nice about this and one seller even sent me 20 different samples.

3. Visit every makeup counter you can think of: at the mall, at department stores, etc. and do it often. Many cosmetic counter employees are glad to give you samples of different  products, and many even offer to show you how to apply the product as well.

4. If there's a specific makeup/skincare/fragrance/haircare product I want to sample because I think it would be good for me, I look on eBay. I can almost always get samples inexpensively on eBay, and sellers usually offer more than one sample in the same item listing, which is nice because then I can use the product for a few days to see if I like it instead of just once.

5. I also make friends with my local cosmetic company representatives, like for Avon or Mary Kay. They always know how to get lots of good samples and can put me on a mailing list for them.

I hope this helps! :smileyhappy:

thecaramelapple

hmmm, I know what you mean about the emailing thing, but I'm not positive. A great way to get free samples like all the time is to establish a relationship with the beauty consultants at makeup counters. I go shopping with my boyfriend usually around once a week, and being a beauty addict I check a lot of stuff out at Nordstroms and Macys, and the girls just love working on my face and playing around that they don't pressure me into buying anything, and always let me leave with a bunch of samples when I don't even ask. Sometimes I buy items, but I never buy a lot of stuff at a time, maybe an eyeliner or something, sometimes nothing at all. When you establish a relationship it's like networking and they don't even get annoyed when you don't buy anything. If you show your really into makeup they tend to do that, some consultants do it because they think your going to end up buying it, especially if it's a new product, but some consultants do it just out of talking about the love of makeup. I know it's not email, but its a nice way to try a few products. Hope I helped a little, don't feel like you have to buy a ton of products to get samples.

lolli9812

Hi, I have had free samples all the time at these places you mentioned.. and basically, you go to the store.. or you become a member of the store (if there is an oppurtunity like so) and you look for special offers... or simply just be a well-known customer and get free samples! Emailing them won't really work well, because i tried that and they just say visit us in store and they dont.. you just have to ask for some samples, and say taht you'd like a sample to see if you'd like to buy the big version without wasting their product if you end up not liking it. Hope this helped, bye!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 10 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • ntailor
    • thecaramelapple
    • jyosh
    • jxw200
    • ran8
    • artemisgem