melisa16

How to find good makeup artists?

I am a bridesmaid in an upcoming wedding and I want to get my makeup professionally done as a treat to myself. At first I wanted to get it done at MAC or Chanel because I had good experience, but I would need to get my makeup done before the malls even open. But I do not how to go about finding a makeup artist who does freelance. If anyone has an idea, let me know. Thanks!

TrysBeautyItems

Re: How to find good makeup artists?

Call bridal shops where the wedding will be, they can usually recommend artists..even call the fanciest shop in the area -the more local shops rather than national like David's Bridal usually will know. I even found a tailor this way - it's where the bridal shop sends their gowns - and does everyday things reasonably. Also ask the artist if they will do a consulation to try out looks, products etc. before the big day.

veronika23

I love MAC MUAs!  I find they have some of the best training.  Some of them do it on the side so if there's someone you like at the counter you can ask if they also freelance. Both times I was a bridesmaid we got a MAC MUA to come to the house and do our makeup. It was real early in the morning. Hope this helps :smileyhappy:

melisa16

(0) Hearts

Do you remember how much the artist charged to come to your house to do the makeup? I remembered having a MAC MUA but I am not sure if she still works at the MAC, I even had her freelance business card and lost it :/

daeidre

I know in Australia at least a lot of the counter staff do freelance work as well. I know I've come across ladies at Chanel, Illamasqua and a couple of other brands who do. If there are particular artists you've dealt with before who you've liked, ask them!

Urbie

Look on yelp, you can sometimes find someone well reviewed, although this is more common in large cities.  You can also look up photographers in your area.  Look through portfolios to see if you like the make up on any actor head shots they have done, since that make up is usually done by freelance artists.  Many photographers will list recommended MUAs on their sites, or you could email them and explain your situation.  Also, try looking on sites like Wedding Wire or The Knot, as many people leave reviews of the people that they worked with on their weddings!

spoiledbrat

I do not know where you live, but Kiki on BT would be my first choice, even you need to fly to her your wedding!  She would be worth it 10 times over and then some!

melisa16

(0) Hearts

If I was the bride, I sure would fly her to do my makeup, but since I am the bridesmaid....nahh. Haha. But she does amazing makeup looks!

Urbie

(0) Hearts

Seconded!  Kiki, please do my wedding next year :smileywink:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 9 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • spoiledbrat
    • melisa16