tokidoki386

How old should you be to start wearing makeup?

(0) Hearts

When should someone start wearing makeup because i think its dumb when a little 6th grader is wearing it but when is the right age?:smileyhappy:

glossjuunkiee

Re: How old should you be to start wearing makeup?

(0) Hearts
HEY, I'm not dumb or little! :smileywink: Just kidding. But I'm 11 and I wear it. Hardly any at all though—pale, shimmery eyeshadows, a tap of blush, and lipgloss. And a tiny bit of mascara on very special occasions or Halloween.
livforstyle

(0) Hearts

I started wearing light pink eyeshadow in 6th grade, then in 7th i wore mascara, and then in 8th i was in that dark black eyeliner all over my eye phase yuckk...now i am more mature and know lots about makeup.but i am still learning

beauty channel on youtube --> livforstyle 

corallove07

(0) Hearts

I started wearing makeup when I was 13. Looking back I think I should have started a little later. There's no "right" age to start wearing makeup, but definently I think nail polish, a little mascara, and some lipgloss couldn't hurt at 12, 13 ,14. Though, personally, I think that girls 14 and under who plan on wearing makeup should start looking at different brands and start watching beauty gurus on youtube, or reading reviews on different makeup, so when they're 15, 16 ,17 they'll know exactly which kinds of makeup they'll like best. I also definently recommend getting small sets at first, so you can try different things out and get a great deal.

makeupforever78

(0) Hearts

i am going into the sixth grade and all i wear is foundation and lip gloss, on special occasions i wear eye shadow. but i would think seventh or eighth grade. 

xoxmichelle

(0) Hearts

How I view this, I think people that are younger can be allowed to wear makeup if they please. Now because of their young age, I feel like they should enjoy their natural beauty, but it's okay to wear makeup every now and then. I was a curious little girl who experimented with makeup looks. 

sall9068

(0) Hearts

I started wearing eye liner and eye shadow in 7th grade, in 8th grade I started going all out, I think its OK for a 5th or 6th grader to have lip gloss and maybe eye shadow, in 7th maybe also mascara, in 8th grade I think you should be able to pretty much wear whatever you want

allegrissima

(0) Hearts

Funny how we all want to be grown ups fast!  then when we are older we try to look younger. 

Young people have such great,beautiful,creamy, gorgeous skin... why cover it up? 

Remember that make-up, albeit fun, is meant to enhance our beauty and not cover it.  Therefore, a very light touch of mascara and some sheer lipstick would be nice for special occasions.  You will have a lot of time and occasions to use make-up, just wait and enjoy what God has given you for now. 

kle21

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Depends what you wear. If you're in 6th grade, I think just light pink or peach lip gloss would suffice. In middle school I actually started experimenting with eye shadows and eyeliner, but I was admittedly horrible at makeup application then. In high school I "mastered" the art of eyeliner and eyeshadow and also wore lip gloss. At the end of HS, I started wearing blush/bronzer and mascara as well. Now in my college career, I'm better at my makeup application and I've started looking more into skin products (foundation, concealer). 

To answer your question, I don't think there's a right age, it just depends on what you wear and how you wear it. :smileyhappy:

ohhhoneybear

(0) Hearts

I started in 7th grade, age 12, and let me tell you a disaster that was. But starting young helped me get a lot of practice in applying, blending, trying what colors match MY skin tone, etc. I think 12-13 is a good age. It's okay to wear some lip gloss and mascara when you are that age, but also depends on the mother! But yes, in my opinion, I would say 12 is a good age.

lagoclare

I am 13 years old and I wear makeup but not a a full face. 

I wear: tinted moisurizer, brozer, blush, 2 neutral eye colors, mascara, and lip gloss. 

I can justify wearing all this makeup by saying that I take excellent care of my skin; I'm more of a skin freak than a makeup freak. I make sure that I'm properly taking care of my skin and that it looks good.

I think purchasing skincare items is far more important than purchasing makeup (at this age) and it should be the first step, no matter how old you are.

makeupgirl81

(0) Hearts

High School is the right time to start wearing make-up. Start small too, I hate seeing young girls with black junk all around their eyes. A powder, lip gloss and mascara is a great way to start.  Then you can ease into shadows and liners. Never forget that make-up is suppose to bring out your beauty not destroy it.

Remember nothing looks more silly than a child wearing mom's make up to school! Don't rush it!

vivalabrianna14

(0) Hearts

I started wearing make-up on special occasions in 6th grade, and started to wear everyday make-up in 7th-8th grade.  I think your question is very broad, since there are different types of make-up.  For younger girls (6th graders), I do not see anything wrong with wearing a little lip gloss and maybe some mascara on special occasions.  For more advanced make-up, such as primers and foundations and such, I would wait until you are about in 8th grade or in high school.  Also, if you plan on wearing make-up everyday you MUST wash your face everynight and every morning, or else your pores will become clogged and your skin will breakout.  Another key is to never wear too much make-up, no matter how young or old you are.  Remember, less is more, and people will respect you alot more when you do not look like you have painted your face.  Hope this helps!

eye4glamour

(0) Hearts

I am a make up fanatic, addict, collector... I love make up, and I love wearing make up

. I also have a younger sister (12) and when she sees me wearing make up, though I am 21, it makes her want to wear make up. My mom doesn't like it because she says it makes her look to pretty (is that even possible???)

But I do not think there is a problem with wearing a little powder and some gloss, mascara and some subtle liner. Blush and eye shadow on special occasions,there should not be  an age limit on wearing make up, just how much should be put on.

qlily74

(0) Hearts
i agree with most of the comments that a little lip gloss is harmless but  teaching a young girl to accentuate what she already has is the most important.  I have a 9 yr old daughter and although she is currently not allowed to wear make up except say lip gloss or lip balm she is aware of what make up is all about. i have taught her that you don't need make up to be beautiful because make up cannot hide you if you are an ugly person on the inside. 

it really comes down to a personal choice as a parent and then teaching your child how to apply it! it certainly can be some quality mother daughter time! :smileyhappy:

silverandgold

(0) Hearts

Really I think that when you are young you really don't need make up, they are selling make-up offering that youthful look that someone young already has. I say if you are going to wear make up in the 6 grade I say do a gloss; maybe in High school a sheer foundation if you need it. I think 15 or 16 is a great age to start that is when some girls start to deal with acne and other skin issues.  

techgirl

on my first day of middle school I was allowed to start wearing makeup, like tinted lip balm or lip gloss, neutral eye shadows, and a little mascara.  After that, each year I got older I was allowed to pick one more thing to add to my makeup bag, and I could add a little more color to what I had already been wearing, but in baby steps. It was like a reward for maturing which made my makeup more of a privelege that I earned rather than a right and a necessity. That really helped my self esteem as well, because I learned that I didn't need to paint on a brand new face to be pretty, my mom always taught me that you use makeup to highlight what you already have, not to make a whole new you.  I really like that approach, and if makeup is presented to young girls in that way, and brains over looks is emphasized as important they'll be better off as they grow up. Its very important to present beauty regimens and makeup properly at a young age so that girls don't become too dependant on how they look.  They should identify themselves by personality traits and brains, not as the girl with the best makeup or the girl that's always made up well.   

katie1724

(0) Hearts

I think it depends on the kind of makeup you mean! A little bit of lipgloss and clear mascara is fine for middle school -- but no eyeliner or black mascara, heavy blush, etc. -- it just looks so silly when you're basically still a kid (even if you feel older!). Once you hit 13 or 14, a bit of pressed powder is fine for shine, too, but no heavy foundation (unless you need it for coverage).

I would wait until high school (15, 16 or older) to wear eye makeup -- and even then, only natural looking eye shadows -- and a touch of  blush, etc.

I hope this helps! :smileyhappy:

kristen1990

(0) Hearts

I don't think it really matters as long as it is not caked on, maybe just a little gloss or mascara. I started wearing some makeup when I was about 11.  But I think 13 or 14 is probably the best age.

jadorezrg

My first step into they beauty world was when I was 3 years old, I started getting manicures and pedicures. On special occassions my mom and grandma would lightly powder my face and let me wear lipstick, this was usually only for like holiday parties or when we'd take family portraits. Then when I was in 4th grade, I started using lipgloss on practically a daily basis, I liked the shine. It wasn't until middle school that I really started to get into makeup, but even then I kept it simple, fairly neutral. This was also due to the fact I technically wasn't allowed by my parents to wear it, but I'd hide it and do my makeup before class :smileysad: naughty, I know.

Also, what do you define as makeup? Because I think some products are okay for a 6th grader to wear.

I think that its acceptable to really start wearing makeup when you're 13. I figure that being in middle school is old enough to be wearing makeup. That however, is not an excuse to go all out with excessive, bold makeup. I think its reasonable to begin wearing the bare minimum: mascara, lipgloss, light foundation (if needed, afterall many girls begin breaking out). It always annoyed me when I'd see middle school girls wearing thick eyeliner and wearing lipstick. I think that's a bit much for everyday use. That's reasonable depending on the occasion though (ex: dances, family parties...etc). I think as long as its kept light and neutral then it shouldn't be a problem. You want to be pretty, not distracting.

lou2

i started wearing make-up in 5th grade because my lashes are really blonde, but i only wore a little mascara on the top lashes. it depends. if you're like me, start small, and you can gradually wear more and more

as you get older, just remember that too much make-up even if your older looks dumb. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 6 hearts
  • 22 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • silverandgold
    • kle21
    • jadorezrg
    • honeylemongirl
    • kristen1990