bananachoox3

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder

Has anyone given this a try or thought about getting this? I heard many reviews about this, especially Dim. I want to get BT opinions on this one before I go into Sephora. I know I won't be walking out with just one item. 

roxystar4

Re: Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder

I purchased diffused!  Im so excited- it is scheduled to arrive on Thurs :smileyhappy:

roxystar4

ok so now Ive narrowed it down to dim & diffused.  I still have to go and swatch/foundation match some cover FX mineral powder tomorrow before I place my order. I wish my local JCP Sephora had hourglass - so I could test it out :smileysad:

drrragon

[ Edited ]

I second EVERYTHING kd006 said, except that I have Diffused.  I narrowed it down to Dim or Diffused because I wanted a soft focus effect finishing powder without shimmer.  I went with Diffused after seeing them both in-store because Diffused is more yellow-toned and I hate anything that adds pink to my skin because that makes me look ruddy.  I think it's amazing that it never looks powdery even if you put a bit too much....just melts right into your skin.

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

see that's what I thought when I looked at the products online, the diffused looks closer to my skin color (more yellow) and I dont want to have a pink face... 

kd006

I LOVE my ambient light powder. I have it in dim light. It just looks.. gorgeous. Idk how to even describe it. I like to keep it in my purse if I need a pick me up through the day because it just makes you look so pretty. Idk what it is. It isn't shimmery at all. It doesn't accentuate any of my pores. And its so finely milled that it just feels nice to put on your face. The packaging is beautiful. I want to pick up another color. Probably diffused. I also want to buy the brush that came out with the powder, but its so expensive, but I have heard it is worth the purchase. You really need to get it! I know some people say they just put it on the high points of their face where they would use highlighter but I don't. I just give myself a light dusting all over the face. Like I said, it isn't shimmery whatsoever so I wouldn't use it as a highlighter. It wouldn't really do anything. But over the face it just makes you look glowy.

roxystar4

What skin tone are you? Are you lighter like me (MAC NC20, UD Naked 2.0, Este Lauder DW Ecru)?

Ps. Thanks for ur reply!

kd006

I am actually an NC15 in mac shades. So I'm a bit lighter than you, and I find that it does have a pinker undertone. So since MAC makes me more yellow, I like to use pinker shades to make it a bit more neutral. So any products that I put on after foundation, I like to have a more pinky tone so I don't look ill lol.

But, I usually prefer not to use mac foundations because the colors are so dramatic on me. I either get very yellow or very pink and don't really like that. The Hourglass illusion TM in shell is my PERFECT match. I have troubles finding foundations that do suit my skin tone. So if you are in that range, Dim will look beautiful on you. Honestly, you just can't go wrong with dim. It's pinky but not too pink. I put this over any foundation and it looks great.

roxystar4

great to know! thanks kd006

kd006

(0) Hearts

Np! Hope you love it as much as I do! :smileyhappy:

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

I am looking at the first three Hourglass Ambient Lighting powders (Ethereal Light, Diffused Light or Dim light).

Which would look best on my skin tone (MAC NC20)?

Thanks!

(I did watch the movie that was posted about them a while back on another thread & it helped me narrow it down to these three).

beautyseeker

I got my order today and immediately opened the Diffused powder and fluffed it on with a big taklon brush! This is the best pressed powder I have ever used. The compact is large, the powder is super fine - but does not fly everywhere when you swirl a brush in it. Also love the zero glitter factor. I applied to my bare face with only moisturizer on and it definately toned down redness, made my skin look smoother and pores smaller. Stellar!  I have fair skin with alot of pink - the Diffused neutralizes nicely and does have a semi-matte finish, but not cakey or thick at all. Now I'm thinking about the Dim color! Thanks alot?? :smileyhappy:

arkansasgal

I recently bought Dim and absolutely love it.  It gives a soft, dewey, finished look.  Absolutely not a shimmer by any stretch.  I use an Eco Tools powder brush to apply all over. It's beautiful from daylight to candlelight.  :-)

drrragon

Did you have any trouble choosing which of the six powders would work best for you?  i don't know why but I'm so fascinated by this new Hourglass powder!  

arkansasgal

[ Edited ]

I did drrragon but after reading the reviews I decided on Dim.  I wanted a powder to be translucent and give me a smooth, finished look without shimmer; a color that isn't a color and a product that looks beautiful in any light.  You can't go wrong choosing Dim.  Even if you decide it isn't for you, you can return it free of charge and try a diferent one.  By the way, the price may be a little high but you get a lot of product and it doesn't take much to achieve a finished look. Unlike many powders including blushes, you don't have excess product to tap, blow or shake off the brush. The compact design is unique the way it opens.  I absolutely love everything about it.   I hope this helps.  If you have any other questions feel free to message me if you prefer.  :-)

drrragon

@arkansasgal thanks for the comments on Dim, it's very helpful! :smileyhappy:

kaye123

That's so good to know that some of them don't have shimmers for those of us with oily skin. Let us know what you think. I can't wait to get my hands on these!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

If you ever want to tone down any shimmery powder, highlighter, or product apply it onto skin then use a fan brush to lightly sweep a tiny bit of silica based powder over the area.

The silica particles help diffuse light and give a much softer look to skin, preventing heavy shimmers or reflective pigments from being too harsh or over powering.

MUFE's HD powder, Urban Decay's Razor Sharp, Tarte's finishing powder, and Too Faced's Primed and Poreless Powder are all options to look into!

bananachoox3

(0) Hearts

For oily skin, I recommend getting Diffused or even Dim. I got Dim and I noticed I didn't get oily til 4 compare to mid-day(12ish, I had my makeup set by 6:30) I do have oily skin. Dim has a really nice soft focus while Diffused is said to be a mattifying one. I'll go to your local sephora to swatch them! So fine and gorgeous. I want to either get Moon light or Diffused next to go along with Dim to give my face a soft focus glow!

drrragon

[ Edited ]

I'm also dying to try these out!  they look so gorgeous, i love Hourglass, and i'm a sucker for nice packaging.  May need to head over to Sephora tonight and see if they're in store yet.

bananachoox3 thanks for your comments i was definitely interested in both Dim and Diffused!  very helpful! do you plan to use Dim for an all-over powder?

bananachoox3

Yes I did used Dim as all over face powder to set my foundation. I think between the 6 Dim and Diffused are ones that you can use all over the face while some you might want to use on certain spots to highlight. Moonlight can be use as all over as well if I remember correctly. Dim gave my face a really soft focus. I really want to get either Moonlight or Diffused next, to maybe mix in with Dim to give the focus and glow to my face. 

If you are oily, then I would suggest maybe Diffused since it said to be mattifying. 

When I used Dim yesterday, I noticed my skin didn't get oily til I got to work, which was around 4 and I had my makeup on at 6:30 in the morning. That being said, Dim really helped with the oil, usually I get oily by mid-day. 

I love Hourglass and their package but this compact is quite bulky, its sits on the palm of my hand. Overall, this is a must check out product. Hopefully this helps. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 26 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • beautyseeker
    • drrragon
    • arkansasgal
    • lylysa
    • roxystar4