Cheer14

Help me find the problem!

I always, always, always have problems with foundation. I find some i like for like a month and then something goes wrong. I should also mention I have terrible skin lots of redness, under the skin acne, and extremely oily in some places and dry in others. For the last 6 months I have been wearing MUFE HD and for the most part loved it. Now however there are so many issues, it wears off around my nose within two hours and my skin is extremely flakey around acne. Lastly, if I add a second layer its like everything moves and cakes in certain spots. I don't want to feel or look like I have a ton of makeup on but want to cover up my acne. How is this possible????

TrysBeautyItems

Re: Help me find the problem!

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Agreeing with everyone else, skincare first. Sounds like you skin needs balancing.

I use philosophy purity made simple cleanser - gentle, balances skin, removes the day, no tight/dry feeling, for moisturizer I switch it around depending on skin, but do use Neutrogena sensitive (white bottle - as nothing is in it).

Primer - Pur Minerals green - it's liquid to a powder finish - I use on my whole face, not just on redness, but on acne too, let it dry then liquid foundation, then powder to set concealer and foundation (if using powder foundation, concealer before powder foundation and don't need the extra powder) then rest of face, then Urban Decay setting spray - and this all lasts.

Also look into Mario Badescu (not at Sephora, at Ulta, Nordstrom, their own website). I'm  using their special cucumber lotion (it's a liquid toner) and they have a drying line - some products are for under the skin bumps.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I definitely agree with the skin care routine coming first and then the foundation comes after that.:smileywink:

Cheer14

(0) Hearts

I don't use exfoliaters, any recommendations that are relatively inexpensive under $30?

reflectsgold

Primer

makeupmaven

Also wondering if maybe a face oil might be better if your moisturizer is requiring you to add more. Are you letting it sink in for 5-10 minutes before applying your makeup? That might help. Cetaphil is gentle, but I found it drying. If it leaves you dry/ tight after using it that could also be the problem. I'm loving Boscia's Tsubaki Cleansing Oil-Gel. Finally, are you exfoliating often enough (but not too often)? Maybe once a week with a gentle exfoliant could help.

Cheer14

(0) Hearts

I currently use Cetaphil daily cleanser and Loreal texture perfecter moisturizer. Ive noticed however that if I go to put a second round of moisturizer on the previous i applied literally starts rolling off in a flake like fashion. I don't currently use a primer because I haven't found one that works. I used the cover fx and it was way too drying and then lastly I tried the MUFE HD (green) and I found that I couldn't easily spread it on. In order to apply it all over I had to use a ton.

makeupmaven

The green is actually tough to work with, it's really designed more for a sunburn (coming from the brand, I also thought the green was for redness). The blue is easier to work with for redness (or even the yellow for that matter). You can mix the primer with the foundation.

For the original question, I definitely agree that your makeup is only going to look as good as your skin does. Maybe a BB/ CC might be easier to work with/ provide more natural looking coverage?

A little tip that helped me when I was using the HD to cover acne and acne scars on a model--before applying foundation you can apply a little extra primer directly to blemishes (like the blue mentioned above) and acne scars. This might allow you to apply less foundation/ concealer on top. Also less is more...build bit by bit and add more if needed.

lecia1167

Totally agree with the other posters. Your skincare routine really dictates how well your foundation works for you. What are you using? Are you using a primer? Also for your acne, if your skin is combination, look into some products that will help with those issues.

kalex

First you need to get some of your skincare issues under control and then you can concentrate on finding a foundation that compliments/works with your skincare routine.  What skincare products are you currently using?

andyhtrieu

It might be your skin care routine. What products do you use when you take off your makeup?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 17 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • kalex
    • reflectsgold
    • beautylovingirl
    • Cheer14
    • lecia1167