Help! Primer "pills" off face

[ Edited ]

How can I prevent my primer from "pilling" off of my face? As I apply makeup, the primer "pills" off of my face. I regularly exfoliate, I've let the primer set for 1-5 minutes before applying makeup, and I've applied less and more primer, but no luck. Any advice? 

I can't wear any primers with silicone (my acne gets irritated), and I've tried 3 primers so far:

- Laura Mercier Foundation Primer: too watery, makeup slid off face after 1-2 hours

- Korres Pomegranate Mattifying Primer: primer pilled, didn't mattify, long wear time

- Korres Quercetin and Oak Age-Reversing Primer: primer pilled, didn't affect wear time

These are the products I use on my face:

- Shiseido Eudermine Revitalizing Essence

- Josie Maran Argan Infinity Cream

- Estee Lauder DayWear Anti-Oxidant Beauty Benefit Creme

Re: Help! Primer "pills" off face

[ Edited ]

Primers need to be similar to the foundation type. Silicone based primer with silicone based foundation, water based primer with water based foundation, oil based primer with oil based foundation. At least that's what did the trick for my problems with primers.

[ Edited ]

Ok, so I use an oil-based moisturizer (or really, an all oil moisturizer), so I should use an oil-based primer? Any recommendations? I've heard of water-based and silicone-based primers, but never oil-based ones.

I've tried out oil-based makeup before, like Josie Maran's tinted moisturizer, but I really didn't like the shiny finish and weird, oily feel to my skin afterwards. Any better ones out there?

I've also tried out water-based makeup (Korean brands), but the wear time was so short, and the coverage was too sheer. I like my foundation to have a satin finish with light but buildable coverage, which leaves me with silicone-based makeup. Oh well.

So, in conclusion, I'm trying to find a primer or application technique that will make my oil-based moisturizer and silicone-based makeup compatible, while still protecting my skin from the silicone. Welp.

Well at least you've identified (probably) the issue and narrowed down what you WANT Smiley Very Happy!

I can't say I know any oil-based or oil-friendly primers, and definitely silicone foundation is not oil friendly... Smiley Sad.

You could start another thread with a really specific title/question, and hope someone else had figured this out.

(0) Hearts

Thanks so much for your help!

I second this simple explanation - and would just add, should be the same type as the product applied previously to the primer as well (i.e. moisturizer).

[ Edited ]

True. I was gonna said that myself, but now I see I didn't. I