evno

Help! Primer "pills" off face

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

How can I prevent my primer from "pilling" off of my face? As I apply makeup, the primer "pills" off of my face. I regularly exfoliate, I've let the primer set for 1-5 minutes before applying makeup, and I've applied less and more primer, but no luck. Any advice? 

I can't wear any primers with silicone (my acne gets irritated), and I've tried 3 primers so far:

- Laura Mercier Foundation Primer: too watery, makeup slid off face after 1-2 hours

- Korres Pomegranate Mattifying Primer: primer pilled, didn't mattify, long wear time

- Korres Quercetin and Oak Age-Reversing Primer: primer pilled, didn't affect wear time

These are the products I use on my face:

- Shiseido Eudermine Revitalizing Essence

- Josie Maran Argan Infinity Cream

- Estee Lauder DayWear Anti-Oxidant Beauty Benefit Creme

lyravega

Re: Help! Primer "pills" off face

[ Edited ]

Primers need to be similar to the foundation type. Silicone based primer with silicone based foundation, water based primer with water based foundation, oil based primer with oil based foundation. At least that's what did the trick for my problems with primers.

evno

[ Edited ]

Ok, so I use an oil-based moisturizer (or really, an all oil moisturizer), so I should use an oil-based primer? Any recommendations? I've heard of water-based and silicone-based primers, but never oil-based ones.

I've tried out oil-based makeup before, like Josie Maran's tinted moisturizer, but I really didn't like the shiny finish and weird, oily feel to my skin afterwards. Any better ones out there?

I've also tried out water-based makeup (Korean brands), but the wear time was so short, and the coverage was too sheer. I like my foundation to have a satin finish with light but buildable coverage, which leaves me with silicone-based makeup. Oh well.

So, in conclusion, I'm trying to find a primer or application technique that will make my oil-based moisturizer and silicone-based makeup compatible, while still protecting my skin from the silicone. Welp.

Nicrohr

Well at least you've identified (probably) the issue and narrowed down what you WANT :smileyvery-happy:!

I can't say I know any oil-based or oil-friendly primers, and definitely silicone foundation is not oil friendly... :smileysad:.

You could start another thread with a really specific title/question, and hope someone else had figured this out.

evno

(0) Hearts

Thanks so much for your help!

Nicrohr

I second this simple explanation - and would just add, should be the same type as the product applied previously to the primer as well (i.e. moisturizer).

lyravega

[ Edited ]

True. I was gonna said that myself, but now I see I didn't. I had it on my mind writting the response, and then I guess it slipped away for some unknow reason :smileyvery-happy:

Nicrohr

lol well - this is what I was trying to say in my first post, but I realized when I read yours... I hadn't really said this at all!  You said it much clearer :smileyhappy:.

One of those funny times I was like, I'm sure I said... no, I definitely didn't.  My boyfriend would find it funny.

pinklissamel

(0) Hearts

I have trouble with this as well it happens if I wear the same primer for more than 2 days in a row it pills on the third day for some reason. So I have to regularly switch it up and can only use that primer like once a week.  I also have to use the tiniest amount or it will pill too. Such problems.... I just can't be bothered to wear primers half the time. I only wear them when I have the time needed to wait everything out and be able to fix and redo anything if need be. I hope you find the magical primer that works for you!!!!!

evno

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Thanks! I hope so, too. I applied the same primer every day for a while, and it pilled every day, including the first day, so I don't think I need to switch it up. I sometimes wish I didn't need to bother with a primer, either! But, skin problems.... :smileytongue:  I want a good primer so I don't need to touch up or worry as much. 

Titian06

Try patting on the primer rather than rubbing it in or smoothing it on like a moisturizer.  I use my fingers to pat on less than a pea-size amount.  The amount probably depends on the brand and ingredients.

Kiki1517

I agree. I had this happen with Benefit Porefessional. You need to pat it into your pores and it will pill up if you are using too much. I think it was Wayne Goss that gave this advice. He said just think about it, if you are rubbing moisturizer or primer onto your face, you are causing a small amount of exfoliation, so either pat it in or glide it onto your face using a flat foundation brush. This advice came so in handy because I had no use for all the flat foundation brushes that came in sets until now. 

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

I use aflat foundation brush as well.  I end up using less primer and I don't have any issues with wear. 

evno

(0) Hearts

Hmm, so the problem could be with the application, and not the primer. I'll try patting the primer on with my fingers, and if that doesn't work, I'll try a brush or sponge. I personally stay away from using beauty tools as much as possible, because I feel the brush or sponge absorbs and wastes some of the product, but if it works, I'll do it!

Nicrohr

Be careful about layering silicone-based, water-based, and oil based products (i.e. foundation, moisturizer, primer - anything liquid/cream for sure).  

Because it's pilling/balling up, I'd say that's the chemical reaction!  I noticed it happened with the Korres and NOT the (water based?) LM Primer.

If there is silicone (Dimethicone) as a primary ingredient in the Estee Lauder, it could be that your regular routine prior to primer is causing the pilling.

I used to use two different face creams and they would literally ball up on my fingers as I applied them, it was CRAZY pilling.  Yours sounds different (and maybe happens over time), but perhaps same kind of thing.

Also - the Josie Maran Argan is DEFINITELY oil based, so it's good that you are going for an SF primer! :smileyvery-happy:

I tried some SF Primers recently and none really worked for me in terms of long-wear (and almost all smothered my skin), but you could try some from this list.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Face/Silicone-Free-Primers-esp-for-LONG-WEAR/m-p/694785/highlight/tr...

I noticed the Clarins that someone mentioned seemed like a cool product, but was too fragranced for me.

I liked the Ardency Inn a lot, but again was too fragranced for ME.  would be good for someone else.

evno

(0) Hearts

Wow, I never really thought about what type of products I'm using (oil, water, silicone). I usually just stay away from silicone ingredients. I guess since my moisturizer is oil-based, the Laura Mercier water-based primer didn't work because it just slid right off my moisturizer. Makes sense! 

I'm trying out the Tarte Flawless primer right now, and if it doesn't work out, I'm going to try out the Ardency Inn one. I didn't know it was silicone-free. Thanks!

DTalksAll

Have you tried Clarins Beauty Flash Balm? It's a hybrid of sorts, not really a primer, or a moisturizer, but a combo of the two.  http://www.sephora.com/beauty-flash-balm-P95044?skuId=74476

swfupload_4800012232917980397.jpg

There are a lot of days that I skip primer because I just don't have the time to wait for my moisturizer to sink in (about 5 minutes) and then wait for the primer, another 5 minutes, and then apply foundation. So instead I'll set my foundation with powder and spray it with UD All Nighter. 

Using a flat foundation brush may help with the pilling, I usually end up using less primer when I apply it with a foundation brush. 

Are you sensitive to all forms of silicone, or just some? I noticed the Estee Lauder you use has dimethicone in in, which is a form of silicone. 

evno

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely pick up a sample of the Clarins Beauty Flash Balm to try out! 

I have a flat foundation brush, so tomorrow, I'll apply the primer that way. 

I think I'm sensitive to all forms of silicone. For 2 weeks or so, I went completely silicone-free in terms of skincare and wore no makeup at all. My inflamed acne went down, and there were no new subcutaneous bumps. When I started using the Estee Lauder BB creme again (without primer), new bumps started appearing all over my face. 

anb0906

That stuff is pretty awesome. You got me hooked on it.

connieconcon

I can think of two things here. 

1. I also had trouble with all the Korres primers.  I eventually just gave up trying to make it work.  Other primers worked better, I found.

2. Some primers don't play well with the moisturizer you use. I use Laura Mercier Secret Finish as a primer even though it's not advertised as such.  Best primer ever.  However, I find that it pills when I use philosophy's oxygen moisturizer, but not when I use Ole Henrikson's sheer transformation.  Have you tried different combinations of skin care and primers?  I'm sure you'll find something that can work eventually! :smileyhappy:

evno

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to try the Tarte flawless primer next, so hopefully it will be better than Korres. The Laura Mercier Secret Finish sounds great, but it has dimethicone in it, so... :smileysad:  

I have been trimming down my skincare routine lately, though. I used to have more than 8 different products (toner, acne toner, essence, eye cream, serum, moisturizer, night cream, acne treatment, etc.), but now it's only 2-3 (Shiseido Eudermine, Josie Maran Argan Infinity Cream, acne treatment). 

Do you have any tips on application? So far, I've been using my fingers to apply primer and BB creme. Would a brush or sponge be better?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 22 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • connieconcon
    • DTalksAll
    • lyravega
    • BeautyJunkie325
    • Titian06
    • pinklissamel