heatherbee

Has anyone shopped from QVC before??

I'm really interested in the Bareminerals eyeshadow palettes, but they are only offered on QVC (boo!!!) I've never shopped from QVC before, but the shipping costs really dissuade me purchasing, especially since the shipping appears to increase as I add another palette to my cart as opposed to a flat rate shipping. Is there a way to get free shipping on the site or flat rate? I did notice the shipping of the second item decreased from its original , but it's still dumb to me. Also, I'm in Hawaii so shipping tends to be higher than the mainland (if shipping isn't flat to all states) which is why I care so much about it lol. Thanks! :smileyvery-happy:

gogreyhound

Re: Has anyone shopped from QVC before??

(0) Hearts

well, it used to be blonde, before it started going dirty dishwater and grey...so now, as a matter of fact, it IS red! I love red hair. I use dark golden blonde and it goes really red on me!

bad823

The good thing about QVC is that most makeup includes the brush, exclusives, easy pay, etc., the not so good is the shipping costs.  I almost ordered Purity face wash, 32oz was $52 & $7.22 shipping.  Shipping is free on the Philosophy site with samples.  Makes me wonder how other sites can offer free shipping, just ordered from MAC with free overnight shipping.

kssweetheart

(0) Hearts

LOOOOOVE the brushes!!! IT Cosmetics makes the nicest brushes, the brushes alone are worth the price of most kits. I love BE brushes too, can never have too many brushes. 

Yeah, it's hard to understand the different prices, shipping or no shipping and all of that, you could drive yourself a little crazy! I love Purity Cleanser too. :smileyhappy:

gogreyhound

oh yes! my two favorite brushes arethe Tarte big bamboo brush that came with foundation, and the IT cosmetics double-ended brush I just got with my Naturally Pretty palette! so soft and luxurious!!

kssweetheart

(0) Hearts

Hi again - I liked Tarte brushes too, but the foundation didn't work for me. I think the IT Cosmetics brushes are Amazing! I love that they come in the little plastic tubes with the caps on, I think it's a nice little bonus. I really wish Sephora would start carrying IT, hopefully soon. I didn't see the Naturally Pretty palette, at least I don't think I did, was it from Q? I'm guessing it was. Did you like it?

Do you remember the first thing you bought from QVC? My first was a silver rope necklace and bracelet set, still have them, it was a great first purchase.

gogreyhound

(0) Hearts

hmmmmm...I cant remember my first Q purchase. It was probably jewelry of some sort, that is my other obsession!I used HSN more often in the past, but now i am a Q girl all the way! 

I like the NP palette, getting used to the different muted colors and textures with the matte. I threw away my little brush tube, but it was nice! I liked the Tarte foundation but it was actually too light for me, if you can believe that. I gave it away and didn't reorder, because I prefer powder foundations...but the brush is amazing!!  And yes, it came from th Q...

I wish Sephora would get IT cosmetics, too...maybe some day! I still think QVC has better prices though...i get IT brow pencils, 2 for 29 which is just a few dollars more that you pay for one. I guess that is why they gouge you with shipping...

HarlemJPN

Me, too! Would live Sephora to carry IT cosmetics.

have you tried any of Dr Denese's products? I am a Hydroshield Serum junkie! I would love Sephora to carry it And the Whole line.

gogreyhound

(0) Hearts

I see her shows all the time, great prices! I haven't known anyone who uses this line--glad ot know it is good! Thanks!!

heatherbee

Thank you ladies for your helpful replies!  How often do prices change?

kssweetheart

[ Edited ]

Just wrote you a novel down below. It's hard to know when prices change. If it's a Today's Special Value, then it just that price for one day. When something is offered at a 'Featured Price' (usually something new) there's no exact time table - sometimes the host will say it's for that particular month, but other times they don't give that info, maybe CS would be able to answer that regarding one specific item you may have your eye on. They also have some specials on their site and they usually have a group of products that have some special value, and they do give you the expire date on the special price of those items or if it's a free or lower shipping offer.

Hope this helped and I hope that you get your tea or coffee and get all comfortable before you attempt to navigate that embarrassingly long novel I wrote further down in this thread (I so did not plan on writing all of that, it just happened - **I'm typing, and I can't 'shut up;**.:smileytongue:) I hope some of the info is useful and/or informative, maybe you'll even get a couple of laughs too. ('at me' or 'with me' - it's okay with me either way. :smileyhappy:)

heatherbee

Thanks a lot for all of the information :smileyhappy:  You are very helpful and I appreciate the time it took to type all that out, but I can just imagine you typing frantically trying to remember everything you have to say about your experiences! :smileyvery-happy:  It's people like you who make these boards so dang awesome!

kssweetheart

[ Edited ]

Awwww.....thanks heatherbee. :smileyhappy: You just made all of that typing worth while! :smileyhappy: It really is nice to know that you can help someone out, and you are a brave woman, that was a whole lot of stuff to get through! You're a real trooper! :smileyhappy: I think you must have been meant to have that info, because it all just kind of 'happened', I did want to include as much info as possible, my brain was going a thousand miles a minute. Thanks for letting me know you appreciated it, that was really sweet of you. :smileyhappy:

EDIT - wanted to write, "Do you have a camera in my house, or in my brain, that's watching me?", because you're right, as I was typing, things kept popping into my head and I kept typing like a maniac and trying to remember all of it. That made me laugh when you said that about ''frantically typing'. :smileyvery-happy:

tracygirl64

I order from QVC all the time. I take advantage of their Josie Maran, WEN, and Tarte Today's Special Values. Unfortunately, they do charge for shipping/handling on most of their items. BUT, they have such great deals that I end up spending way less buying the items through them. :smileyhappy:

HarlemJPN

I am also no stranger to QVC.

QVC is allergic to free shipping. :-)

as gogreyhound wrote below, the Q usually offers discounted shipping for orders from the same department going to the same address in the same order. You will pay the highest s&h then 1/2 s&h on other items.

the Q definitely gets some good deals, and it's return policy is great. When u return it, the Q refunds your original s&h -- but you have to pay to ship uf back to them or use the Q's prepaid label (which costs you $6.95, I believe, and includes insurance). The Q is pretty slow in giving refunds back, IMHO, and can take 2+ weeks.

my advice: look at Sephora before purchasing and see if it makes sense to buy on the Q.

i looooooobe the Q because I think Dr Denese has some amazing products. Her Hydroshield Serum is amazing.

use ebates to link to the Q.

HSN offers much more free shipping options and there are frequently coupons you can find online, too (unlike the Q). HSN offers better deals on Korres than Sephora.

gogreyhound

Um, that would be ME that loves me some QVC!! I have not kept this particular obsession of mine a secret around here...they do have a lot of special colors, sizes or sets that you cant find anywhere else. They will have things you can't buy anywhere else, at least for a while--the Benefit Fakeup, A lot of palettes, etc. Often, the prices are low enough to offset the shipping. They sometimes have free shipping events, and a lot of items are on Easypay. I have never had anything I have regretted...Their return policy is great, and their products are top quality. I lik the Dooney & Bourke bags they carry--again, designs, colors, prices, etc you can't find any where else. I just ordered a super-size set of ALgenist that was basically half price what you would normally pay, plus it is spread out in 5 monthly payments. 

They have all the good brands--Philosophy, Bare Minerals, Murad, FAB, Benefit,  Algenist, Clinique, Edward Bess, etc.  

I do understand the whole shipping thing, and although it does add on per item, usually you get discounted shipping on multiple orders. They ship everything separate, that's anaother thing I hate. Wasteful. BUT overall, I love it, love the prices and the great selection... What more can I say?? Go for it!

ChicDabbler

hmmmm, I feel like I remember kssweetheart said she orders from QVC, or I might rememeber wrong. Can non-mod tag people? @kssweetheart *sending telepathic wave her way*

kssweetheart

[ Edited ]

Well beautytester.......your telepathic waves worked!! I haven't been around for 4-5 days, but suddenly felt the uncontrollable urge to come on to bt! You have an amazing memory - you remembered my Philosophy Purity Cleanser info, my strong desire for the Disney Ariel Compact, (thanks btw) and more. :smileyhappy:

Yup, I've been a QVC junkie since...too long ago to mention :smileytongue: - little stuff in those early days when I was just 'in training' but the habit became full on as the years (and dollars) flew by. **gogreyhound** and the other gals gave lots of great info. I have just a few things to add. 

***This Is Long, But I Think It's Worth Reading - Some Details That Might Help You Feel Comfortable With QVC.***

When you return something within 30 days you do get your original shipping refunded, if it's after 30 days you do not get a refund on original shipping. If your return is over 30 days, you should call first and get approval to make the return and make sure to right down the name of the customer service rep who approved it. (learn from my mistake)

When a product line, such as BE, has a Today's Special Value and/or celebrates the anniversary of when they first launched their products on QVC there usually are some extra special, amazing 'anniversary priced' items, special collections and sometimes offers such as free shipping. BE usually has anniversary celebrations that last for an entire weekend - it's a dream come true (for my credit card company :smileytongue:) and a nightmare, all at the same time. :smileywink: So looking out for 'anniversaries' can be worthwhile. Also, easy-pay rocks!! Especially on the Emjoi TSV Epilator I just ordered. :smileyhappy: When a TSV sells out, they usually have a 'One-Time Only' offer in each show after that - it is the lowest price an item will ever be offered at QVC, I sometimes hope certain TSV's will sell out in hopes of getting an awesome 'One Time Only' offer.

Around various holidays you can be pretty sure they will have products like Clarisonic as a Today's Special Value - which is an extra low price and often a special collection. Their TSV's are truly exceptional and you can sign up for email notifications for your favorite brands, then you'll know in advance if there is any special event coming up for products/brands that you love. They have auto-delivery programs for many cosmetic, skincare. haircare products and you can delay a shipment or skip a shipment just by calling them. If you've purchased a TSV at a special low price on Auto-delivery, you will continue to get the product at that same price. There is sometimes a certain number of A-D's (i.e. locked in for 2 years or if it's something like a BE TSV, you may get 4 shipments of the kit you ordered with different colors for each season) You can also get great values on 'Super Sized' products. 

I agree that the shipping and handling can be annoying, but it still works in your favor when you're buying things such as a collection of BE products or Philosophy products etc. - the values are insane and the shipping charge is worth it in cases like that. If you're buying single items, then maybe not so much. (i.e. - BE 6 pc collection for 59.00 + shipping = still amazing value -vs- a single mascara at the full price of $28.00 +$4.47 shipping = getting it at Sephora or Nordstom or the site where you shop at 2 sites with one basket.:smileywink:) Plus, they have IT Cosmetics!! **hint-hint - We need IT at Sephora** You might want to check out some of the Philosophy kits and Philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser, this will give you a good idea of the fantastic values and why shipping/handling charges are sometimes worth it, even if Philosophy's not your brand of choice, just as an example.

As far as jewelry goes, some friends, my sister and I have gotten a lot of jewelry from QVC **welcoming robbers into my house - invite on a silver platter** and we've been more than happy with most of the products and gotten excellent appraisals at our local jeweler - but there have been some really major disappointments too, that's when the return of original s/h is great. If you get a product and it's broken or there's anything wrong with it or it's really disappointing (see story below re Affinity Diamonds), Call Customer Service and give them all the info, they will reimburse you for return shipping or if you use the return label they provide, they will not deduct the customary $6.95/$8.95 fee from your refund. They stand by their products and are quite good at accommodating you when there is any problem with a product you receive. This goes for jewelry, cosmetics, clothes etc. A friends gold bracelet broke after 2+ months of gentle wear, called CS and it was returned and replaced, no questions asked - I know, because I called for her, she was being a chicken and was afraid they'd give her a hassle or something - nope, even though I was pretending to be her, no problem. I sent the same friend a gift and it was damaged, she called me, I called Q CS and they sent a return label to her house, she slapped it on the package and it was also returned and replaced, no worries, no hassles. So they can be pretty great.

I ordered an Affinity Diamond Cross that was Gorgeous on TV, they were blue diamonds and it was quite expensive, but oh so stunning. ......at least it was  on TV. It was a huge disappointment in person, the blue diamonds were so dark and flat, it looked like it could have been lackluster black stones of some sort and you'd never have had any idea how expensive it was. I called and spoke to the nicest CS Rep and explained how different it was on TV and in person and asked if they'd refund my return shipping cost and they did! :smileyhappy: Again, make sure you get the name of the person you speak to, ask them to make a note on your account and write a short letter explaining what transpired and that shipping should be refunded. I opt to ship jewelry back on my own, fully insured and with a tracking number - I don't know if the return label provides the same 'security' if something is lost or damaged in transit. I should add that we've purchased Many Affinity Diamond items, for ourselves and as gifts, and have been more than happy with the majority of the items received, it's a great line and it's beautifully packaged. Also, Diamonique is Awesome!!!!

So these were just a handful of things that came to mind that might help you as your relationship with QVC grows and flourishes....and it likely will once you start ordering! Hope it wasn't too confusing and rambling, but I thought it was info that may be helpful along the way. I should write a hand book for Q shopping! :smileyhappy: I do agree that it's really annoying when there's a palette you're dying for and it's only at QVC - some products, like palettes, aren't always the best values, especially when you add s/h charges, so  I know what you mean, been there. Good luck **heatherbee**. Let me know how you make out and if you need any more rambling info. :smileywink:

@beautytester - Thanks for the "Mental Tag" :smileyhappy: Been thinking about you and hope all is well. Let me know if you want to chat about......'stuff' :smileyvery-happy: Think you know what I mean. :smileytongue:

@gogreyhound - almost got that Algenist product the other night - so mad at myself for showing such uncharacteristic restraint. :smileysad: Will you let me know how you like it? :smileyhappy: Re: shipping multiples in separate boxes - in Dec I got 2 of the same  BE TSV;s on A-D and they came separately, just got the next shipment and they're in one box - you just never really know why they do what they do, so unpredictable. I know what you mean about the often wasteful separate shipping. :smileyhappy:

@lylysa - "Team Long Post" lives on. And on, and on, and on, and on, and...................

gogreyhound

(0) Hearts

Yes, I will...I already use a lot of Algenist, and I couldn't pass us these huge sizes!! That's one thing I love about the Q--the big sizes you can't find anywhere else, for such a good price!  I still can'yt  believe I got a set of 2 huge tubs of FAB Cream for 40.00! You just can't pass up these prices, even with shipping.

I think their customer service is great  too! I ordered a gorgeous ring once, and the package came empty--there was a neat little tear in the bottom--not sure if it got stolen or just lost in the mail. i called  their customer service, and they sent me a replacement, no problem.  I also love the IT cosmetics, and like you said, how everything comes with brushes or accessories. Sets you can't find anywhere else, or things that are limited editions to QVC only. 

Do you watch the St. Patrick's Day celebration too? It is my favorite day--the Connemara marble guy is absolutely adorable!! I am still kicking myself for not getting his autographed book.... I love Ireland, everything Irish, and I pretty much watch the Q as much as I can on march 17th. 

Do you get the Test Tube from them? 

heatherbee

Thank you so much!  I think I'll sign up for the information about BM so I don't miss any deals they may have in the future!  Then maybe I can get a better deal on the palettes!

kssweetheart

[ Edited ]

No, No...don't sign up for BM info!!!! That really made me laugh, I'm so sorry, I'm a bit loopy right now, should be sleeping. That just struck me the right (or wrong) way. :smileyvery-happy: I don't want any BM info from QVC, I'll just stick with my BE info. :smileyvery-happy: Part of the reason it made me laugh is that I said something similar to a friend and she laughed at me for Weeks, because I called it BM, so it just brought that back to me. :smileyvery-happy: Hmmmmmm.....I wonder what that says for the company she worked for......IBM. :smileytongue: I'll have to mention that to her one day. :smileyhappy:

Shrewdle

Hi heatherbee,

QVC only offers free shipping on certain items, and sometimes only for one particular day or when the item's a TSV (today's special value). So as far as shipping, it's a bummer. 

Here's the link to the collection of free shipping items on QVC: 

http://www.qvc.com/FreeSH.content.html

I've never ordered makeup items from QVC, but I have purchased jewelry and food items from them. To be honest, (at least for jewelry items), they always always end up looking shabby in person compared to what's presented on air. Like this one blue topaz ring I bought from QVC a few years ago....it was so gorgeous when Lisa Robertson presented it and when I got mine in the mail, I opened it and saw that it looked so very cheap. The stone has no saturation at all, and in fact the "sterling silver" rusted within 3 months. On the other hand, we've gotten Mrs. Prindables candy covered apples from QVC and they were really fantastic. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law have tried the IT cosmetics tightline which QVC sells and they really love it. I guess it just really depends on the item.

Anyway... sorry to ramble on about my QVC experiences! I do love watching the QVC shows though, haha. They are pretty entertaining, especially the beauty shows. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 48 replies
  • 73 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • tracygirl64
    • ChicDabbler
    • kssweetheart
    • nightknight
    • bad823
    • heatherbee