xpap

Guerlain Meteorites - Old vs. New

[ Edited ]

Hi beauties!

I know a lot of people are interested in knowing about the new Guerlain Meteorites and how they compare to the old formula. In the last two weeks I have acquired the new formula in Clair and Medium, and the old formula in Teint Rose and Teint Beige. I think this gives me a good perspective to compare the two formulas in an unbiased manner since I got them both at the same time without being in love with one or the other first :smileyhappy: (for the record I am equally in love with all of them!)

Let's start off with a picture!

going top to bottom, left to right we have Clair (new), Teint Rose (old), Medium (new) and Teint Beige (old).

I am not going to spend too much time lamenting the decreased quantity of balls in the new formulas. We all know it's true and it is just a sad fact that we meteorites lovers are going to have to deal with eventually, sigh. The good thing is that, as most agree, these balls last for a LONG time and I believe the same will hold true for the new formula as well.

To me, the new formulas are definitely easier to pick up with your brush. Some have said that they have more broken meteorites with the new formula because they are softer but I haven't had any issue with that. And though it is easier to get more powder on your brush, I haven't felt that the softer formula leads to over-doing application at all.

The biggest difference I have noticed between the old and new formulas (for both shades) is that the new formula has more shimmer to it. That being said, the actual shimmer particles seem smaller in the new formula which is something I like.

Another observation I had was that the new formulas have a bit more color to them than the old. The picture below shows the new formulas across the top and the old across the bottom. As you can see, the new Medium has more pink balls than the Beige does, while the Clair has more light gold balls than Rose (Rose looks to have more of the white/cream balls). I am planning to look at the actual ratio of color balls in each once I have a safe place to dump them all out... my bathroom has been scary lately haha.

Over all, as I've said, I love them all and I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of the four! My recommendations would be that for those of you interested in a bit more warmth your glow go for the new Medium. If you are fair and want illumination, the new Clair is a good bet. If you are fair and need redness correcting you might prefer the old Teint Rose if you can find it. Teint Beige would be best if you would prefer your meteorites to have slightly, and really it is quite slight, less shimmer with a little more warmth than Rose or Clair.

Hopefully this helps everyone who is on the fence about which to purchase, or whether you need to go out and purchase the new formula asap!

Long story short:

They really do make you feel fabulous and pampered when you're putting them on. They give you a nice special extra something glow.

Did you need all four? Probably not...

Did I just order this:

upload_6697044757614001468.jpg

Yes, yes I did (fingers crossed that it's authentic!)

kam71

Re: Guerlain Meteorites - Old vs. New

Great Review packed with insight!  Thank you. How would you compare the meteorites  to HG Ambient Lighting?  Or are they even comparable?  I'm on the fence!  I truly miss the pressed powder form of these..Am I the only one?

Tx so much  :smileyhappy: ~KAM

bea0t

Good question. I thought I was the only one comparing these products. I love HG ambient lighting powders and havn't jumped into Guerlain yet.

kam71

(0) Hearts

May I ask which shade you've tried or currently use? I'm thinking of getting the Dim  as it states it balances and blurs imperfections...I'm looking for an eveyday use..so the darker I do not think would work.  BTW~I'm light/medium complexion blonde hair with actually pink undertones (I feel like I'm the only one out there w/ pink!) 

Tx for taking the time!  :smileyhappy: ~KAM

bea0t

[ Edited ]

First of all I'm no makeup expert so I'm not sure if this is how it's supposed to be used.

I have the Ethreal, Diffused and the trio palette. Every day I use the diffused to set my foundation and the radiant (palette) as a finishing/bronzer. The radiant, which looks dark, doesn't come out dark on me. It just gives me a bit more color but I guess you could build it up. On weekends or going out I used the others in the palette as I feel they give a bit more glow, still soft though. The ethereal is the least used but I like it as well, guess I haven't really found how to use it more. I have light skin with yellow undertones with redness and this (I believe) works for me beautifully. I suggest you get the palette and play with that, it has dim.

If I'm doing this wrong will someone guide me to the proper use of these powders as I have never asked in store.

makeupobesessed

(0) Hearts

When you use the meteorites...do you use a setting spray also?  If so, in what order?

123beauty

Great review, thanks! I've been on the fence about purchasing meteorites for quite some time now, so I think during the november sale ill get them.

jisub89

Has anyone tried Meteorites in Blanc De Perle 00? It's supposed to be brightening.

Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 8.44.05 AM.png

Britlee303

I just wanted to add something to this post for anyone still trying to decide between them: the new formula is not only a little bit softer, but it is EXTREMELY soft and easy to crush, and therefore not travel friendly at all. I ordered all 3 colors in the old formula, but they accidentally sent me the new formula in Medium instead of the old in Teint Beige (and I received them at separate times because they were on back order for varying lengths of time). When I received the Medium that they accidentally sent me, it was very well packed with a ton of tissue paper, yet at least 1/3 of the pearls were completely crushed still. My Teint Rose arrived today and it was packed terribly. There was 1 piece of tissue paper in the entire decent sized box so there was a ton of room for things to move around, but not a single pearl was broken! After this experience I just cannot imagine traveling with the new formula without causing massive amounts of them to break, which is definitely a bummer!

blackkitty2014

Hear hear! I think Guerlain needs to fix this. New formula is extremely soft. I order 2 both are LE and they arrive with broken balls regardless of super good packaging. Lesson learned: until they fix the formula, I won't buy the meteorites online again.

meagboho

FWIW:

I have bought ALL of my meteorites online.  All new formula.  The Clair 02, Medium 03, Paradise du, and now the holiday perles.  Not a single broken ball.

friedrice

(0) Hearts

Hi meagboho. How do you like the paradise du? I read mixed reviews from this :smileyhappy: 

meagboho

(0) Hearts

Hi Friedrice, I personally like them.  I prefer my regular ones slightly, but as a part of my regular line up and collection, I like them a lot :smileyhappy: 

blackkitty2014

(0) Hearts

Many ppl got their meteorites intact liked you and MK. I'm kinda jelly. I guess I don't have much luck with the new formula. Isn't du paradis the old formula?

jisub89

(0) Hearts

Was it a large percentage?

blackkitty2014

I think my holiday meteorite got 1 broken ball but the damage is already done. Meteorite dust cover all other color so it hard to tell which is which. It is still reusable but I just got irritated kinda liked I ordered pressed powder and got loose powder. The aquarella got 3-4 balls broken since I ordered it from Asia. So if you got broken balls, it will take a while for you too see the true colors of everything. 

blackkitty2014

(0) Hearts

Usable was the word. My stupid phone won't let me edit typo or wrong words

Jandi

Fantastic review! I have yet to try any of these and can't decide if I want to order them for the actual product or for the pretty boxes. I just want an empty box to keep my sewing pins in! Haha

xpap

(0) Hearts

Haha! You may buy them for their looks but I think you will fall in love with them for their personality :smileywink:

anaa

Great collection!  Thanks for the review.

jenpred

Thanks for the review! Just purchased Teint Rose! Keeping my fingers crossed it comes intact!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 53 replies
  • 98 hearts
  • 24 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • anaa
    • friedrice
    • kam71
    • kso1225
    • makeupobesessed